Options

RATE my resume!

bjuarbebjuarbe Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please RATE my resume and tell me what positions you think I qualify for.
T H A N K Y O U !

OBJECTIVE
To obtain a position where all my skills would be utilized in a company where I can grow and become an asset.

SKILLS
-Experienced with Windows 95/98/2000/XP, Microsoft Office, HTML, Norton Antivirus and Ghost.
-Skilled with troubleshooting and configuring common hardware and software errors caused by daily use from end users.
-Strong Helpdesk support skills.
-Work well independently and as part of a team.
-Strong interpersonal skills.
-Excellent verbal and written communication.

Certifications
A+ Certified
Net+ Certified
I-Net+ Certified

EXPERIERENCE
Best Buy / Geek Squad, Elmhurst,NY 2004 – Present
Counter Intelligence Agent

-Deploying and administering Microsoft Windows based operating systems on client computers.
-Troubleshoot and repair client computers.
-Diagnosing end user situations and providing solutions for all problems.
-Enhancing customer experience by providing fast and accurate processing of payments.
-Ensuring inventory integrity by using Star database for all shipping and receiving of customer and store product.
-Helpdesk Support.

Queens, NY 1999 – Present
Technology Consultant / Field Technician
-Deploying and administering wired and wireless LAN’s for small offices and home users. Encrypting those networks with WEP, WPA and MAC address filtering.
-Virus and Spy-ware Removal. Norton Anti-Virus and Spy Sweeper Installation.
-Support for applications such as Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
-Install, configure and maintain copiers, ink-jet and laser printers.
-Worked with end-users to help them understand and utilize software such as Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, and Windows 9x/2000/xp Operating Systems.
-Data Retrieval.

EDUCATION
Katharine Gibbs School,
New York,NY 12/04
Associates Degree in Computer Network Operations, December 2004.
Theres JUSToneBOBBY!

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I love NY. I would change your objective & place your certs above your skills. Nice job though.
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    objectives needs to be a summary.. an objective pigeon holes u to a certain role. also list skills, operating systems, and software in individual areas icon_cool.gif

u can view mine if u need to ...
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    ZraxniahZraxniah Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Net+ Certified
    I would recommend putting the the full name (Network+).

You have helpdesk under skills and under the job itself, it seems a bit redundant. You may want to list software and hardware you are familiar with instead under skills, and leave the rest for the actual work experience section.
    -Deploying and administering Microsoft Windows based operating systems on client computers.
    -Troubleshoot and repair client computers.

Watch your tenses (I've had too many **** english teachers) -- change troubleshoot to troubleshooting, and make sure you are consistent througout the resume.

I'd say you have a good skill set and would qualify for a helpdesk or desktop support position, but you may want to organize your thoughts a bit better.

Then again, I suck at getting jobs icon_eek.gif

Good luck :D
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would suggest putting your contact information on your resume. How do you expect employers to contact you if you do not provide them with a phone number or at the very least an e mail address.

You spend all that time on a nice resume but forget the simple things. Amazing how simple minded some people are. icon_rolleyes.gif

When posting a resume in a public forum, most people have the common sense to leave the personal info out.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    I too agree that your contact information is vital to a resume, but it's not important for us viewing that. I know that I wouldn't put my address and personal number on a web forum. That is just asking for problems.
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I follow the format: Experience, Certs, Educations, Skills.

If I had a BS instead of an Associates, I would switch the Education and Certs.

I have also started leaving the objective off.

Just how i'm doing mine. Not saying yours is right or wrong.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    drewm320drewm320 Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely get rid of the objective. If I'm an employer and the first thing I see is a bunch of cheesy BS, do you really think I'm going to read the rest of it?
  • Options
    bjuarbebjuarbe Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The official answer is....................
    I DID NOT WANT MY CONTACT INFO ON HERE!!!!
    Theres JUSToneBOBBY!
  • Options
    HackNackHackNack Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    And the winner is... everyone with a brain! icon_eek.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Sorry for the late action guys, I just read the thread. Next time, please do not feed the monkey, just PM me.

On-topic: From what I hear lately it seems to be worth it to invest in a professional resume writing service. Yours isn't bad, but you want it to be excellent. You have to sell yourself to the reader with a resume that stands out rather than the regular stuff.
  • Options
    mcornell5mcornell5 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    surprised it hasnt been mentioned...but read what you have down in the objective..

To BECOME AN ASSET..

you just told the employer you are not an asset but hope to become one....not many employers are hiring for 'could be' assets
  • Options
    Orion82698Orion82698 Member Posts: 483
    Sorry for the late action guys, I just read the thread. Next time, please do not feed the monkey, just PM me.

:) Sorry!
    WIP Vacation ;-)

Porsche..... there is no substitute!
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    np, at least you were correct icon_wink.gif But feeding monkeys only makes them come back for more attention, hence I had to ban him again today. No worries though, US ISPs are usually quite cooperative because they don't want 'their' IP addresses being banned. Once in a while I have the option to share the banned list effectively blocking them from many others sites as well. I'm proud of the way people interact with each other in these forums, there is simply no room here and no excuse for the unprofessional behavior this guy demonstrated. And apart from that, he doesn't sound like someone who has something valuable to add anyway.
  • Options
    marcread357marcread357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest that you remove the objective all together, the objective is old school, take it out!!! Think of your resume as an obituary, what you have done and accomplished. I would spend time on you cover letter. the cover letter will better describe who you are, then the resume, what you have done. Make sure you do not summerize your resume in your cover letter. they go hand in hand. try and keep every thing in a positive light, but do not lie.

I do not have a verry good resume, I am going to school and was working in a manufactoring plant studing. I did have a kick ass cover letter and I got interviews for jobs I had no bussiness even being considered for. Now i did not get the job, but the first step is getting the interview.

You do have some good experiance, so put the final touches on the resume, and start working on the cover letter. The cover letter is the first thing that your potental employer is going to read. if your cover letter sucks then chances are that he/she wont even read your resume. Remember companys are usualy very busy, they don't have a ton of time and may only glance over you coverletter and resume breifly. if they had done any advertizing at all they may have a stack of 200+ resumes. they gotta weed them out some way.
  • Options
    BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    So then is it necessary to have an objective in your resume or not?
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    most of the time I remove mine. ..but this also depends on how I feal after reading the job posting...researching their web and so on...I usually hit these points in a cover letter.

Don't forget the follow up letter after the interview also....a lot of people do. It helps to keep your name in their head...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA