Options

Foregoing the NA Security Exam

kidfrykidfry Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
After recently certifying for my CCNA R+S exam, (about 2 months ago) I began the path towards the 640-553 Security Exam. After reading one of the few Cisco security books available, (I purchased the latest Sybex book authored by Tim Boyles) listening & watching Jeremy's CBT's and reading up on some additional reference material on Cisco's Learning site, I decided that the exam (for me) was simply not worth it. In fact, I was quite disappointed with everything involved with this particular track. Is this just me?

Consequently, I feel as though I've fallen behind somewhat over the past couple of months. I'm now beginning the CCNP ROUTE exam - I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying everything I'm learning so far. Much, MUCH more interesting and exciting for me... I feel as though my learning is fun again! I'm not sure why I had such a negative experience with the IINS track but I'm certainly glad I'm moving on...

Anyways, ...thanks for an ear,

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    kidfry wrote: »
    After recently certifying for my CCNA R+S exam, (about 2 months ago) I began the path towards the 640-553 Security Exam. After reading one of the few Cisco security books available, (I purchased the latest Sybex book authored by Tim Boyles) listening & watching Jeremy's CBT's and reading up on some additional reference material on Cisco's Learning site, I decided that the exam (for me) was simply not worth it. In fact, I was quite disappointed with everything involved with this particular track. Is this just me?

Consequently, I feel as though I've fallen behind somewhat over the past couple of months. I'm now beginning the CCNP ROUTE exam - I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying everything I'm learning so far. Much, MUCH more interesting and exciting for me... I feel as though my learning is fun again! I'm not sure why I had such a negative experience with the IINS track but I'm certainly glad I'm moving on...

Anyways, ...thanks for an ear,

Welcome to the jungle =)
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I don't blame you. If I didn't have so much time already invested in IINS I would probably do the same thing. It is really killing my enthusiasm for the CCSP track.
  • Options
    davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I could add...

I will be doing the CCNA Security right after I finish my CCNP in about two more months.

Why? Because with the CCNP v6.0 there is very very little coverage on Site-to-Site VPNs, Remote Access VPNs and cryptography... infact, almost nothing at all... I know that the new CCNP track puts ALOT more emphasis into R&S but honestly a CCNP should at least know how to bring up a VPN right???

Just my $0.02

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    If I could add...

I will be doing the CCNA Security right after I finish my CCNP in about two more months.

Why? Because with the CCNP v6.0 there is very very little coverage on Site-to-Site VPNs, Remote Access VPNs and cryptography... infact, almost nothing at all... I know that the new CCNP track puts ALOT more emphasis into R&S but honestly a CCNP should at least know how to bring up a VPN right???

Just my $0.02

Regards,
    David

This.

I did the same thing you did and started with the CCNA:S track and found it incredibly boring so I started tackling the CCNP. It's definitely a lot more interesting material, but the new CCNP leaves out a few things you'll want to know like basic QoS configuration, MPLS and site-to-site VPNs. I believe those last 2 are ISCW material.

What i'm gonna do is when i'm done with the CCNP just picked up some used ISCW and ONT books on amazon, they're incredibly cheap right now.
  • Options
    spartangtr wrote: »
    I believe those last 2 are ISCW material.

That's right! Why'd Cisco drop them?
    spartangtr wrote: »
    What i'm gonna do is when i'm done with the CCNP just picked up some used ISCW and ONT books on amazon, they're incredibly cheap right now.

I already have the books icon_sad.gif

But the CCNA: Security is a pre-requisite for the CCSP isn't it? Hmm....

Regards,
    David
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    JSK wrote: »
    I don't blame you. If I didn't have so much time already invested in IINS I would probably do the same thing. It is really killing my enthusiasm for the CCSP track.

IMO, other than the ASA courses, the entire SP is BORING!!! Don't even get me started on the IPS exam... makes the IINS look exciting. Maybe it's cause I admin 4 pairs of ASA's... loved those sections. So get through the NA:S as quick as possible, and get to the stuff you'll enjoy.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think the CCNA: Security is one of the reasons why the CCNP is now Route, Switch and Tshoot and NOT ISCW and ONT

ISCW is more or less CCNA: Security - massive amount of overlap, this is probably why it isnt in the CCNP anymore.

I was fortunate to finish the v5.0 of the CCNP :)
  • Options
    gorebrush wrote: »
    ISCW is more or less CCNA: Security - massive amount of overlap, this is probably why it isnt in the CCNP anymore.

Cool, thanks for the info. Looks like I'm doing the CCNA:S next!!! Yay!!!

Regards,
    David
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    mikearama wrote: »
    IMO, other than the ASA courses, the entire SP is BORING!!! Don't even get me started on the IPS exam... makes the IINS look exciting. Maybe it's cause I admin 4 pairs of ASA's... loved those sections. So get through the NA:S as quick as possible, and get to the stuff you'll enjoy.

Dang, I was actually looking forward to the IPS exam. I don't get to use them at work. The closest that I manage is an ACE web application firewall which does have some likeness to an IPS.