Network operation center. How to get here?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I want to work in this kind of NOC environment at least once in my life time to gain some experience: YouTube - Nortel Network Management Centers

What kind of experience do I need?
How many years of experience do I need?
Any special qualifications or certificates will get me here? CCNA enough? or do i need to know tons of server and stuff?
Are these jobs only for older people?
Is there a high turnover rate?
I guess you're stuck in front of a computer 12 hours a day?

I am interested to work at least 1 year doing this. I know the work hours are disasterous. But, I still want to get the opportunity to work in a network operation center.

Comments

• NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well you dont need any experience...
    At least this was my first job
    i worked in a NOC in my country as a NOC tech L2
    i just had my CCNA no experience and i got in there... they gave me a chance... and i did great so the left me working in there...

I ididnt need to know anything about servers as i just was working with access, distribution and core Switches... routers, i didnt work with any server.... had to do lot of vlans trunkings traffic regulation with shapes and classes,lot of troubleshooting, P2P and internet circuits creations etc...
    The ccna gave me the basic stuff so they could teach me everything...

Anyways i dont know if in your country they give rookies the oportunity to get in.... at least they do in here... it wasnt a GREAT pay but well youdid learn stuff in there :)

I work there for some months and then another NOC offered me a job as a NOC Engnineer, so i took it... and well now im working on a company in which they offer integrated solutions.. so i see firewalls, servers, switches routers, backup and recovery and end point security and other stuff omg!! too many stuff on my head! =(

Anyways i would say it would depend if they are willing to give a rookie a chance for it...
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I felt a great disturbance in the NOC, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. ...

They use telnet. That can't be good.

But yeah NOCs are fun to visit and see how other companies do things.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Here's another cool looking NOC promo video:
    Network Operations Command Center

Keep in mind that not all NOCs are as interesting as what's portrayed in these videos. The responsibilities of NOCs vary dramatically.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995

Keep in mind that not all NOCs are as interesting as what's portrayed in these videos. The responsibilities of NOCs vary dramatically.

This post is golden. Not all NOC's are created equal. Period. The first NOC I worked in was nice. It had all diskless sun stations and 2x 24" monitors per station (individual seating). My current NOC, well, dell workstations and shared seating. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096

Was this made in the 1980s? :D

He called Russia "Soviet Union" :D
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • wolverene13wolverene13 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□

Check this one out: Way better than the NOC I work in!
    AT&T Global NOC
    Currently Studying: CCIP - 642-611 - MPLS
    CCIP Progress: [x] BSCI
    [x] BGP
    [ ] MPLS
    [ ] QoS