has any one taken them or are they even worth the time

CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals Exam

it looks like an a+ cert that does not have to be re-newed every 3 years
wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    At some point I want to get away from some of the technical exams and do some non tech exams for fun. I think this might be one I do just for the extra "Green IT" knowledge.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    it looks like they are fairly cheap to take as well

i may just go sit for one and see what its like
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like itmight be comparable to the CIW foundations maybe but with the CompTIA name attached
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I could see myself doing the Green IT, but at this point I just want to get away from CompTIA.
  • Options
    looking at the objectives it looks like something diff than ciw foundations i remember taking

Domain
    % of Examination
    1.0 Technology and Computer Hardware Basics
    40%
    2.0 Compatibility Issues and Common Errors
    13%
    %%
    3.0 Software Installation and Functions
    11%
    4.0 Security
    16%
    5.0 Green IT and Preventative Maintenance
    20%
    Total
    100%
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    it looks like they are fairly cheap to take as well
    i may just go sit for one and see what its like

99$ is not cheap, Microsoft exams cost 125$

if it was 30-50 $ may be I would try, but for 99$ I do not think so.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually meant more around the difficulty of the CIW foundations. The CIW foundations is much more broad.
    I could see myself doing the Green IT, but at this point I just want to get away from CompTIA.
    I'm actually thinking of the new Linux+ where you do the 2 LPIC tests. I have been working on that already and figure with less than a month of study on that by itself I'd be ready for Lpic-1. Something else on my to-do list for after I'm done with WGU.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    99$ is not cheap, Microsoft exams cost 125$

if it was 30-50 $ may be I would try, but for 99$ I do not think so.

student discounted vouchers it was like 45
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    I'm actually thinking of the new Linux+ where you do the 2 LPIC tests. I have been working on that already and figure with less than a month of study on that by itself I'd be ready for Lpic-1. Something else on my to-do list for after I'm done with WGU.

Well, for me it's all about whether or not CompTIA decides to make them expire or not. Yes, LPIC certifications interest me as well. :)
  • Options
    i think the only ones that comptia are putting up for expiration are the ones DoD uses for the contractors they use

so far the only ones ive heard about expiration are A+, Network+, Security+

now i know they are phasing out Linux+ in-favor of the 2 part LPIC tests
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, for me it's all about whether or not CompTIA decides to make them expire or not. Yes, LPIC certifications interest me as well. :)

For this year it is just A+, Net+, and Sec+. But who knows if maybe the rest of them will have similar standards in the future.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    mezekermezeker Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am going to sit for all the CompTIA Strata in two weeks from now. I will let you all know how it goes.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

"You must not only test whether an application
    does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i was looking to take the Green IT one at some point
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Agreed, I might go for the Linux+ some day down the road……… right now it’s windows 7 70-680(currently studying for this one), then the 70.685, or 70-686, and then Cisco OR the Microsoft server certs.
    There are no books for the strata exam…….at least as far as I know. So , I don’t think I would learn that much from studying and taking the exam. Right now I don’t see much ROI in the other Comptia certs beyond the A+, net+, and Security+.

Is this exam for a certification or certificate? Comptia keeps calling it a certificate…maybe that’s the same thing?

http://www.comptia.org/Libraries/Strata/greencandidate.sflb.ashx
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    JustAnotherUserJustAnotherUser Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I asked the people who pay for our certifications if they would provide funding for the strata exams and they informed me that they would not because it was a certificate not certification!

Fwiw...

I really wanted the green!
  • Options
    Hello All,

I took the CompTIA Strata IT Fundamental exam and passed it.

I did not study I did not prepare or anything at all. I took it on the fly and this was such an easy exam.

I have my A+, Net+ and Sec+ already so maybe that helped or maybe my 7+ years in IT helped but that was a very easy test.

I am going to take the Green IT exam this week coming up and the IT for sales all in the same week.

I would say wish me luck but I am well prepared and there for no luck is needed.
    MCP, MCDST, MCTS: Vista, MCAS: Outlook 2007, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, CompTIA Security+, CompTIA Strata IT Fundamentals, ITIL v3, ISFS Information Security Foundation based on ISO/IEC 27002 Certified

does what it is supposed to do, but also whether it does not do what it should not do."
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mezeker wrote: »
    Hello All,

I took the CompTIA Strata IT Fundamental exam and passed it.

I did not study I did not prepare or anything at all. I took it on the fly and this was such an easy exam.

I have my A+, Net+ and Sec+ already so maybe that helped or maybe my 7+ years in IT helped but that was a very easy test.

I am going to take the Green IT exam this week coming up and the IT for sales all in the same week.

I would say wish me luck but I am well prepared and there for no luck is needed.

Sounds pretty cake.

Thanks for the write up.

I am not sure I should get this though. I already have a ton of certifications and I am afraid my resume is starting to look sloppy.
  • Options
    Now that you got your manager job you don't need this cert.

• Options
    it seams to be more of i have no IT exp. at all type cert

how ever ill prob get it if i can find the time
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    N2IT wrote: »
    Sounds pretty cake.

Thanks for the write up.

I am not sure I should get this though. I already have a ton of certifications and I am afraid my resume is starting to look sloppy.

The only "certification" you should work on now is the "Masters of Science in Management" cert or perhaps the "Masters of Business Administration with an IT/ERP management focus" cert from a decent school.

Now that you're in management...if you're gonna spend any time studying...it should be for a Masters. You made it, kid.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The only "certification" you should work on now is the "Masters of Science in Management" cert or perhaps the "Masters of Business Administration with an IT/ERP management focus" cert from a decent school.

Now that you're in management...if you're gonna spend any time studying...it should be for a Masters. You made it, kid.

Haha

Anything of short of being complete incompetent, I should be able to make it through 3 years of the project.

I hope to get my Masters in Management. I don't really feel the extra 4-5 classes for the MBA will help me that much more. Now the ERP specific one I would do. Point me in the right direction!!!!!!

The only certification that I want to look at now is possibly the PMP or Six Sigma. Process and Framework related certifications.
  • Options
    pakgeekpakgeek Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□

I hope to get my Masters in Management. I don't really feel the extra 4-5 classes for the MBA will help me that much more. Now the ERP specific one I would do. Point me in the right direction!!!!!!

It sure makes a difference, not only from a skills level, but also from a salary standpoint. Being a manager, I use the concepts learned in the MBA program on a daily basis.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Haha

Anything of short of being complete incompetent, I should be able to make it through 3 years of the project.

The only certification that I want to look at now is possibly the PMP or Six Sigma. Process and Framework related certifications.

As long as it's one of those, that's what you need to shoot for.

I don't know any good ERP specific MBAs as of yet. Right now my research for a Masters is still in the early stages of the first trimester...and will stay there for quite sometime. I am still debating whether or not to do an online program at an established B&M or brick and mortar (offline to local universities). I'm close to graduating from WGU and then I have to decide on other things as well.

However, since you already have your Bachelors, you're much more ahead of the game then I am. A Masters will pretty much give you uber street-cred with your soon-to-be lengthy management experience. But start looking into a good program you want now.
  • Options
    pakgeek wrote: »
    It sure makes a difference, not only from a skills level, but also from a salary standpoint. Being a manager, I use the concepts learned in the MBA program on a daily basis.

Pak thanks for the heads up brother! I appreciate your expert opinion.

Your opinion careers a lot of weight with me. MBA has been duly noted.
  • Options
    EmersonHEmersonH Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello.

I took the CompTIA Strata exam this morning and passed it. The exam was easy.

This is my first certificate, almost ready for A+
  • Options
    beingcertifiedbeingcertified Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just took the Green IT exam today. 30 questions. I was out of there in 5 minutes... best CompTia exam I've taken.
  • Options
    just took the Green IT exam today. 30 questions. I was out of there in 5 minutes... best CompTia exam I've taken.
  • Options
    EmersonH wrote: »
    Hello.

I took the CompTIA Strata exam this morning and passed it. The exam was easy.

This is my first certificate, almost ready for A+

Congrats. What did you use to study?
    Good luck with the A+ I was thinking of taking that in December some time.
  • Options
    Well I took the Strata Exam and flunked it. My materials did not have some of the areas covered on the exam and it appears it recently changed. I've found a new study guide from Element K that just came out 2 days before I took my exam. I'll be picking that up after the holiday and after reading and taking the practice tests in the past think I should ace it on the second go round. I'm a bit surprised because I did fine on Green IT and Network Plus and Security Plus all this month.. oh well... you win some you lose some. Anyone else recently taken Strata and what did you use to study?
  • Options
    gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    just took this myself and passed it.. Pretty fundamental. Im not even sure why i took it lol..
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.