Options

Alright, I gotta complain

2»

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    lol..When I first saw the term SMTP in order to better remember its' meaning and thus what it actually stood for I actually wrote a sidenote that it stood for send mail to people.
    I doubt that his coworker was actually so ill informed that he thought certificates had to be specific to browsers but as you said it's easier to make up something like that than to have the caller ask you why the browser is incompatible with your website. The coworker probably would have had a harder time answering that question.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    <RANT>

Over the past few days, one of my coworkers has started telling people that the the reason that their chrome, firefox, and safari browsers don't work with our website is because we didn't buy certificates for those browsers.

Now I'm no expert here, but I am quite confident that certificates are browser neutral.

I also overheard him telling someone who was complaining about our strong passwords that that was to make the password is secure. So because he used a strong password it is impossible to be cracked, or sniffed, or stolen.

Where did he get his education from where they told you to lie to the end users? Or is he just that dumb?

</RANT>

A lot of dumb people work in IT. It's a mass employer these days since we stopped making things.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    Instead of saying "I cant help you with Chrome. Why? Because Im not familiar with it. You want my supervisor? Well he doesn't know it either. You want his manager?" etc. Its easier to just say "it doesn't work". Or when the user complains about the password, you make up some reason for it, as its easier than saying "because if you configure your password to your dog's name, then someone will guess it, break in, and then we have to deal with it".

It isn't that we don't know chrome, our website just isn't tested with it. So some things do happen to work, and others don't because the company can't justify the added work to help the 10 users that use it.

I do enjoy your SMTP acronym, but what would be wrong with telling them what it really stands for? Simple Mail Transfer Protocol also makes sense.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    it would depend on the user really. If it was some old lady (this was back in my DSL tech support days), it was just easier and it honestly put a smile on their face I think. kind of an "ah, that makes sense!" moment haha.