Options

Laser Technologies

laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
Anyone got some pointers for lasers ?

I've been given a project to look at connecting a new site to one of our existing ones via lasers if possible.
Surprisingly it's a new area for me and need to some reading so I'm looking for white papers etc.

Pro's cons etc

Personally I don't think it's going to be a viable option anyways but cant hurt to look at it icon_smile.gif
if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone got some pointers for lasers ?

I've been given a project to look at connecting a new site to one of our existing ones via lasers if possible.
    Surprisingly it's a new area for me and need to some reading so I'm looking for white papers etc.

Pro's cons etc

Personally I don't think it's going to be a viable option anyways but cant hurt to look at it icon_smile.gif

I've heard of it before but have no experience. Big con is that you need Line of Site.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I've heard of it before but have no experience. Big con is that you need Line of Site.

Not if you send the laser down a fibre.... oh that's fibre optics. ;)

laid back are you sure they don't mean running fibre optics between the sites?

a heavy rain storm or heat haze would cause havoc with naked laser light.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    What's the bandwidth of laser?

If you don't have right-of-way there are several decent wireless technologies that you can use depending on bandwidth requirements and distance.

I think it's easier to use a DSL/cable Internet connection via VPN, but different strokes for different folks.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What throughput are you looking for?
    Distance?
    Height?
    Any obstructions?
    What will you do if its raining heavily or foggy and the link goes down?

knwminus would like to see it when it gets installed.
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Is something like this what you're looking for?
    RONJA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here are a couple of my bookmarks.

FASTLINKS | WIRELESS WIDE AREA NETWORKS

I have heard of the distributor below before at the local watering holes. Should be what you are looking for or at least ammo on why not. Various models, downloadable PDF's etc.

Enterprise FSO IR Laser Wireless Products
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO