Options

Going for CCENT/CCNA

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
Hello Cisco Forum,
I've posted a few noob questions here before and also congratulated quite a few exam passers here but after much internal and external debate I've decided to get my CCNA. I'm not, at present, planning on going the pure network route nor am I planning to pursue other Cisco certs but I feel that it will help me in my career to have the networking knowledge that comes with getting the CCNA.

First off I've read all through the sticky about before you post but most entries there are so old they may not be relevant. I'm going to use simulators as if I ever go past the CCNA I'll then purchase the "real stuff" that I need . So here goes with my questions

1) What is the best simulator and how much will it cost? Do I ned to get the IOS for it and how do I get it and the cost?

2) What are the best books for me to get? Remember I'm a total noob here and the only thing I know so far is how to subnet (Will have to practice to get the time up to par though)

3) What other study materials should I get? I've heard the CBT Nuggets are good but should I also get a set of practice tests and which one are the best.

4) Would it be better for me to go the 1 or 2 test route? I'm inclined toward the 2 test route since I want to really learn the material and not have it all crammed into 1 exam study period.

Thanks in advance for any help.
EDIT Putting in a few links which may help me and/or others
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/58611-how-do-you-get-gns3-interact-real-equipment.html#post455927
FREE CCNA Workbook
http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/58593-subnetting-quick-reference-sheet.html
Cisco Feature Navigator
Community Lab Paccketlife.net
Getting started
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Hello Cisco Forum,
    I've posted a few noob questions here before and also congratulated quite a few exam passers here but after much internal and external debate I've decided to get my CCNA. I'm not, at present, planning on going the pure network route nor am I planning to pursue other Cisco certs but I feel that it will help me in my career to have the networking knowledge that comes with getting the CCNA.

First off I've read all through the sticky about before you post but most entries there are so old they may not be relevant. I'm going to use simulators as if I ever go past the CCNA I'll then purchase the "real stuff" that I need . So here goes with my questions

1) What is the best simulator and how much will it cost? Do I ned to get the IOS for it and how do I get it and the cost?

2) What are the best books for me to get? Remember I'm a total noob here and the only thing I know so far is how to subnet (Will have to practice to get the time up to par though)

3) What other study materials should I get? I've heard the CBT Nuggets are good but should I also get a set of practice tests and which one are the best.

4) Would it be better for me to go the 1 or 2 test route? I'm inclined toward the 2 test route since I want to really learn the material and not have it all crammed into 1 exam study period.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Welcome to the Cisco side of things :). Its funny how we're exchanging cert vendors lol.

1) If you're doing the CCNA via WGU and they offer the "Cisco Networking Academy" experience, you will be able to download a program called "Packet Tracer" for free and once any course is finished you can opt to become an alumni of the academy and can access your online materials permanently and any updates to the course material (correct me if I'm wrong). Packet Tracer is great and will let you do just about anything CCNA wise.
    If this is unavailable to you, Labsim is always an option.

2) I found Odom's books to be good for filling in some gaps but I heard the Sybex CCNA book by Todd Lamale is epic.

3) When it comes to anything Cisco, Jeremy Cioara is the man (instructor for the CCNA Nuggets). For me his method of subnetting was easy to understand and I haven't forgot how to do it since. I actually studied the Nuggets prior to joining the Academy and once I started classes, the material was a breeze. If you're involved in the academy you will be going through tons of practice questions regularly with homework and exams.

4) Two test route I think is the best. If you don't have time to get the CCNA right away, passing the first exam gets you the CCENT title.

I think Chormin gave the best pro and con analysis for the two vs one step CCNA route in an old thread but I can't seem to find it. Below are my thoughts:

1 exam CCNA route:
    Pros
    - Only 50 questions covering both sections of the exam
    - On pass you are automatically a CCNA
    Cons
    - Designed for people renewing/people who are comfortable with the technology so it tends to be harder

2 exam CCNA route:
    Pros
    - Material is spread out
    - Gives you the chance to focus on areas of weakness on a broader scale
    Cons
    - 100 questions just to get your CCNA
    - If you pass the ICND2 and fail the CCENT, you are not a CCNA
  • Options
    No, not doing it through WGU so I wont have the Cisco Academy experience. The 2 exam route, I think, may be best for me as it spreads the material out some.
    I'm planning to do this after I finish WGU sort of on my own but if I present a good argumehnt for getting it then I can get the VA to pay for it (CBT's, Books, Instructional materials ie simulators, and vouchers)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    I think buying a cheap 2600 router and a cheap switch on ebay will be the most beneficial. Most seller who have labs on ebay which include (1 2900 and 2 2500 routers) typically include all required cabling and even dvds with training info. Although i'm 99% positive all that is pirated software icon_sad.gif

I think using the real equipment provides a much better understanding of the equipment, IOS, and doesnt limit you to software glitches or other software. I have used BOSON sims, GNS3, and I way prefer the real thing.

Right now i'm about $350 into my lab and I have:

100-150 ft cat5
    crimper
    RJ-45's
    6 switches
    8 routers
    cable tester
    Cisco Press official ICND1 and 2 books
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384

Packet Tracer is sufficient for your needs. However I personally recommend, if at all possible, to get your hands on a cheap pair of cheap cisco 2610s and cat2950s. i found that throughout my study "attempts" sims didn't quite cut it for me. actually cabling and seeing wic cards light up and go out can't be simulated and really gets you on the down and dirty. I found eBay and Craigslist to be an incredible foundry of cheap Cisco stuff.

2) What are the best books for me to get? Remember I'm a total noob here and the only thing I know so far is how to subnet (Will have to practice to get the time up to par though).

Lammle's CCENT and CCNA books are good. People say the CCNA book isn't as foundational but Lammle himself said he wrote it for those who already have a fundemental understanding of the concepts found in Network+ and CCENT. Go there. Odom's books are dry BUT they are very thorough. Having subnetting down is a very good start.

Jeremy Cioara is a legendary Cisco CCIE and makes learning fun. Chris Bryant's stuff are great too (Train Signal and The Bryant Advantage) Transcender are good practice exams however Lammle states that the price of such "practice" exams are almost the same as the real deal. I'd rather go fail the real thing and know what I'm up against than pay top dollar for a simulated test.

2 test route is the way to go if you're new to Cisco. 1 test is for re certifying associates and people with brass btwn their legs. Plus, if you pass ICND1 you at least get the CCENT cert. Fail the 1 test CCNA exam and you get ziltch.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□

Packet Tracer or GNS3. PT is a lot more user friendly, but GNS3 can do more.

Packet Tracer is a simulator, no need to provide an IOS image. GNS3 is an emulator, you need to provide an image. The problem is, Cisco will only sell you an IOS image for a specific router. Off the record, we do what we have to do to get GNS3 running. icon_mrgreen.gif

The one thing that GNS3 has going for it is this web site.

Todd Lammle's book, or Wendell Odom's book. The material is the same, its just a matter of who's writing style you prefer. Google Books has previews of both, so you can tell who you like better.

They're great videos if you can afford them. But a good book and plenty of practice, either on real gear or the workbook I linked earlier, will be sufficient. And I really have no idea about practice tests.

It's really personal preference. I took the CNA classes, so I'm going the one test route since that's the way I learned it (and according to Somnipotent, more manly reasons I guess icon_mrgreen.gif). But a lot of people were happy with the two test route.
  • Options
    For a USB-serial adapter as I would need to hook my laptop to a router what type adapter is it as Amazon throws out a whole page.
    Amazon.com: usb-serial converter: Electronics
  • Options
    Just ordered Wendell Odoms IICND1/ICND2 books with my amazon gift card I got from referring someone to WGU. They'll be arriving Monday but I'll leave them in their wrapper til Tuesday since I have the MS 70-643 test Tuesday.
    Can hardly wait to get started.
  • Options
    I have had 100% luck/good times with a Rosewill usb->serial adapter from Newegg.com. Only 10 bucks and the standard pl-2303 driver works on my vista-64 box.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried networksims.com?
    I saw the name on certguards safe list when I was checking out something and I wondered if anyone here had used it. For $58 a year it doesn't look like a bad deal.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Good luck,

i just got my CCNA in March and I did the 2 exam route.
    I did the Train Signal Videos and then some practice questions.

I also spent money on a lab which really helped. If you can just buy 3 routers and 2 switched, you should be able to get through it very eaisly.

Let me know if you need help with anything or need material.

Cheers
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    JEarlJEarl Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I've used packet tracer quite a lot. It is very accurate and easy to use. The only problem i've experienced is the ability to configure a router as a frame-relay switch. (you have to use their cloud, and that doesn't really help you practice the configuration of the frame-relay switch). Aside from that, it's easy to use and free (although it would be cool to have the hardware)

:D
    + Pursuing AAS in Information Technology - 1 class left after this semester

+ CCNA by next semester
  • Options
    Got the books and also bought a crimper/connectors/wire so I could make my own cables and have some hands on with at least something.
    I'm planning to get the hardware for a CCNA lab but finances dictate getting it a little at a time.
    I seem to remember posts from a while back where someone recommended that you could use GNS3 and use your own switches in conjunction with the simulator. How is this done exactly?
  • Options
    HTurnerHTurner Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JEarl wrote: »
    Yeah, I've used packet tracer quite a lot. It is very accurate and easy to use. The only problem i've experienced is the ability to configure a router as a frame-relay switch. (you have to use their cloud, and that doesn't really help you practice the configuration of the frame-relay switch). Aside from that, it's easy to use and free (although it would be cool to have the hardware)

:D
    Will packet tracer run in a VM? I have Windows 7 desktops and would like to run packet tracer in a VM because our students do not have administrative rights to the desktop systems. Is 5.2 the latest version? Is VISTA Business the latest version of Windows OS that will run it? I am not seeing compatibility with Windows 7 and Packet Tracer stated anywhere. the CISCO instructors keep telling me that students must have admin rights on the local machines. In all of our other classes (Office, A+, Server, etc.) students use virtual machines just fine. Why is CISCO behind the times?
  • Options
    Good luck,

i just got my CCNA in March and I did the 2 exam route.
    I did the Train Signal Videos and then some practice questions.

I also spent money on a lab which really helped. If you can just buy 3 routers and 2 switched, you should be able to get through it very eaisly.

Let me know if you need help with anything or need material.

Cheers

I did the same thing except I went a little over board, for around 350-400 I was able to pickup 8 routers and 3 switches.

3 routers acting as independing ROS's
    5 routers for a core network
    3 switches for a core lan
  • Options
    JEarlJEarl Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HTurner wrote: »
    Will packet tracer run in a VM? I have Windows 7 desktops and would like to run packet tracer in a VM because our students do not have administrative rights to the desktop systems. Is 5.2 the latest version? Is VISTA Business the latest version of Windows OS that will run it? I am not seeing compatibility with Windows 7 and Packet Tracer stated anywhere. the CISCO instructors keep telling me that students must have admin rights on the local machines. In all of our other classes (Office, A+, Server, etc.) students use virtual machines just fine. Why is CISCO behind the times?

I have never tried running Packet Tracer in a VM, although i don't think there would be a problem with it. I did hear something about compatibility issues with Win7, and the download from Cisco's website does say "Windows 2000, XP and Vista". V 5.3.1 is the most current version. There ARE some strange compatibility issues with some versions of Vista.. Like the program will just crash unexpectedly. I personally have Vista Home Basic and have had no problem. :) But yeah, i am not sure about needing to have admin rights.. Aside from needing to have admin rights in order to actually install the program.
    + Pursuing AAS in Information Technology - 1 class left after this semester

+ CCNA by next semester
  • Options
    I've discovered from reading a lot of posts that 2950's are good switches to get. I've gone to ebay looking at them and they are so differently priced and I'm confused as to which ones to get.
    What does the WS prefix stand for and are they all catalyst?
    I also noticed different letters at the end of the 2950 (C, G, T) and some have SI or EI at the end.
    One was even advertised as a layer 3 switch!!! Aren't layer 3 switches a different model number?
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've discovered from reading a lot of posts that 2950's are good switches to get. I've gone to ebay looking at them and they are so differently priced and I'm confused as to which ones to get.
    What does the WS prefix stand for and are they all catalyst?
    I also noticed different letters at the end of the 2950 (C, G, T) and some have SI or EI at the end.
    One was even advertised as a layer 3 switch!!! Aren't layer 3 switches a different model number?

I'm probably not the best person to answer your question entirely, but I shall give it a try. According to Cisco's Product Data Sheet, All 2950s are Catalyst switches. I'm assuming "WS" prefix stands for switch.

For sure I can tell you is that SI stands for Standard Image, and you can easily guess that EI stands for Enhanced Image. I found the quote below in the PDF data sheet.
    These wire-speed desktop switches come with Cisco Standard Image
    software features and offer Cisco IOS® Software functions for basic data, video, and voice services at the edge of the network.

I have the Enhanced Image on my 2950s. I like it because it comes with cryptographic features such as SSH. You can always upgrade your switch with EI from SI. I bought two WS-C2950-24 AC P.S. with Autosensing. I believe the AC P.S. stands for Alternating Current Power Supply, which is probably the only acceptable power supply if you want to add that to your switch, but I never use it. That's for enterprise use only. As you can see the 'C' before 2950 means Catalyst.

To answer your question regarding C, G, and T suffix, I believe the G stands for Gigabit Interface Converter (GBIC) port. The 'C' means you have 2 fixed 100BASE-FX uplink ports, and the 'T' means 2 fixed 10/100/1000BASE-T uplink ports.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the Enhanced Image on my 2950s. I like it because it comes with cryptographic features such as SSH. You can always upgrade your switch with EI from SI.
    There are crypto and non-crypto versions of the IOS for the 2950s. And the SI/EI image is the same -- it's the hardware that determines if the EI features are available. The basic 2950 only runs the standard image features.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Would the standard image be sufficient for my CCNA studies?
  • Options
    The standard image (crypto version) is fine for the CCNA.

The 2950 EI models were useful for some of the STP features when the layer 3 3550s were too expensive ($600+) for some home labs -- but 3550 prices are down since the CCIE shifted to the 3560s and supply is up. I just snagged a $150 EMI 3550 48 port on eBay for the home network.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    There are crypto and non-crypto versions of the IOS for the 2950s. And the SI/EI image is the same -- it's the hardware that determines if the EI features are available. The basic 2950 only runs the standard image features.

Thanks for the heads up, Mike. It appears I made a mistake. I was away from my lab kits, and couldn't do a show version command to verify if I have SI or EI. I just realized my switches are running SI with crypto. Would you mind elaborate more on SI and EI? I don't see the difference between those.
  • Options
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    depending on where you live you might be able to get 2950 switches on craigslist for 5-50 dollars 26xx routers are also around the same price

of course if you buy them all from one person as a lab training kit (normally 3 routers 3 switchs) they like to list them much pricer around $400-500. but sometimes the kits have 3xxx switchs and routers in them.

But hey, after you get cerified you can always sell them the same way you brought them.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Dont buy a kit, you can piece a lab together much cheaper than those kits. And you get the opportunity to recover passwords.
  • Options
    Dont buy a kit, you can piece a lab together much cheaper than those kits. And you get the opportunity to recover passwords.
    Couldn't afford to ifI wanted to. I'm buying 2 2950s next month and going to build my own rack. Then I'll buy some routers after the first of the year. I'm not in a hurry. I'm still on the subnetting section of the book and probably wont get into labbing for a while still.
    I start a new job next week (Desk side support specialist) and have to finish my MCITP:EA bu January and complete WGU by the end of February. I'm not going to have time to get serious with the Cisco for a while. I kind of like doing the research on what to get though but now that I have an idea of what switch to get the routers will present a new challenge as I need to find routers suitable for the CCNA studies for a reasonable price and with the correct features. There are so many routers out there it's hard to decide and I'm just now getting a clue about the IOS versions.
  • Options
    The new desktop support job didn't pan out but I did switch crappy retail jobs. I got 2 2950 EI switches coming in soon that I ordered off e-bay and have set up GNS3 and trying to figure how to use that now. I still don't really have a clue how to incorporate real switches with the emulated routers of GNS3.
    Looking at what routers to get as I may just skip the GNS3 crap and use real hardware. I've read where I have to have routers that will handle the 12.4 IOS and need to do more research on that.
    Will 2 switches and 2 routers be enough to get me through the CCNA studies?
  • Options
    mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For ccent definately more than enough imo. For ccna i would think that would suffice, i've been labbing stp and vtp with 3 switches but don't see why i couldn't only do it with 2. Haven't got to the router labbing part of ccna yet so couldn't tell you about that part.
  • Options
    mtorres wrote: »
    For ccent definately more than enough imo. For ccna i would think that would suffice, i've been labbing stp and vtp with 3 switches but don't see why i couldn't only do it with 2. Haven't got to the router labbing part of ccna yet so couldn't tell you about that part.

I agree....I had 6 switches and 8 routers going in my lab prior to CCENT. I should have just spent that money on 2 3550's and 2 2600XM's.

I think the most beneficial thing for me was simply getting used to IOS and its commands/structure. You do not need alot of hardware to practice CCENT concepts or the IOS commands.
  • Options
    MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At my work, Cisco donated a full CCIE lab so that's been my practice hardware...but honestly, as has been said before, much of the difficulty is just getting used to the IOS and the way Cisco devices work in general, in which case my copy of Packet Tracer is perfectly fine for that. Also, I can SSH to the lab equipment with my droid, so there's that if I'm on the go.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mierdin wrote: »
    At my work, Cisco donated a full CCIE lab so that's been my practice hardware...but honestly, as has been said before, much of the difficulty is just getting used to the IOS and the way Cisco devices work in general, in which case my copy of Packet Tracer is perfectly fine for that. Also, I can SSH to the lab equipment with my droid, so there's that if I'm on the go.

I can't even begin to describe just how much I hate you right now. icon_mrgreen.gif