Options

Passed ICND1...CCNA Bound

brewdbrewd Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just wanted to thank everyone for the very helpful advice gleaned from many other posts in regards to home lab composition. I pieced together 4x 2620xm's, 1x 2621xm, 2x 2950 and 2x 3550 for a home lab and really have learned a lot from having it.

I must say I haven't lab'd much in my studies until now. Even throughout the MCSE and MCITP I pretty much memorized the details I didn't already know or compared it to production environments I already work with. With the Cisco material though I have less experience and had a hard time simply memorizing when to use "show ip int brief" vs "show int", etc. So, just wanted to thank all of you who take the time to respond to the many posts for input on how to piece together a lab successfully.

One question I do have, would it be worth adding another router (I'm thinking a 2651xm) or a terminal access router (a 2511? I'm thinking) as the next upgrade? Or maybe even a wireless interface or a WAP? Currently I'm using a mixture of WIC-1T, WIC-2T, and T1 CSU/DSU interfaces.

And, I must add...all of you who've mentioned how it's addicting to buy all this gear on eBay...you're absolutely right. Can't say how much time I've spent getting decent prices on the gear, cables (fiber and serial), interfaces, rack mount kits, and mini racks!

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    iyareiyare Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    job well done! dont really have any input on those routers. i am a gns3 man myself.
    CCENT, CCNA(EXPIRED), BS Electrical Engineering (Communications/Optics/Nanotechnology)
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    You've got more than enough for CCNA!! You could probably just about go for CCNP with that lot. :D
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The one and only brewd! Congrats man, welcome to Cisco!!! :)
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS and good luck with your ICND2 studies!!!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the ICND1 PASS icon_cheers.gif and the CCENT!! icon_cheers.gif

Get a terminal server next.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    wbosher wrote: »
    You've got more than enough for CCNA!! You could probably just about go for CCNP with that lot. :D

That's what my plan was when I blew all the dough on this stuff, so glad to hear it! Each piece seemed like such a good deal until I tallied up the total...

Thanks all for the encouragement!
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    brewd wrote: »
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the very helpful advice gleaned from many other posts in regards to home lab composition. I pieced together 4x 2620xm's, 1x 2621xm, 2x 2950 and 2x 3550 for a home lab and really have learned a lot from having it.

I must say I haven't lab'd much in my studies until now. Even throughout the MCSE and MCITP I pretty much memorized the details I didn't already know or compared it to production environments I already work with. With the Cisco material though I have less experience and had a hard time simply memorizing when to use "show ip int brief" vs "show int", etc. So, just wanted to thank all of you who take the time to respond to the many posts for input on how to piece together a lab successfully.

One question I do have, would it be worth adding another router (I'm thinking a 2651xm) or a terminal access router (a 2511? I'm thinking) as the next upgrade? Or maybe even a wireless interface or a WAP? Currently I'm using a mixture of WIC-1T, WIC-2T, and T1 CSU/DSU interfaces.

And, I must add...all of you who've mentioned how it's addicting to buy all this gear on eBay...you're absolutely right. Can't say how much time I've spent getting decent prices on the gear, cables (fiber and serial), interfaces, rack mount kits, and mini racks!

Congrats on the pass! you could use one of your existing 2600s as an access server. just ebay yourself a NM-16A module and grab a pair of octals from monoprice.com. that's what i did and it works out just fine. all your gear is definately good for the CCNA and even the CCNP so you're all set! See ya at ICND 2 :)
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip Somnipotent! No decently priced NM-16A/S's at this point, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Much appreciated!
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    brewd wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip Somnipotent! No decently priced NM-16A/S's at this point, but I'll keep an eye out for them. Much appreciated!

Yeah, i got mine a few months back for abt $150... well worth it.
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, good luck with the next one!

icon_thumright.gif