Options

Crazy new Microsoft home page

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Wonder if anyone else has been to the Microsoft's new look home page yet??

Microsoft Corporation , I mean this on their homepage icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Seem to be turning to their Xbox to keep the revenue up, now that they have been taking a hit in the OS market.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did you check out IT interview gone wrong...lamo
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a real issue with micorsoft at the moment, or more with Steve Ballmer.

I saw a video of him the other day trying to dismiss Google Crome OS as pathetic and laughing it off. while squirmin in his chair like a frightend rabbit!

While I had issues with Gates, no one can argue he was a great buisness man and kept microsfot at the top of the game. With out him things seem to be slipping, and there seems no direction to the company. Google, Linux, Apple and all the rest are constantly chippin away.

how long before rather than every one playing catch up, the field is level, and then which way will microsoft go?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DevilWAH wrote: »
    I have a real issue with micorsoft at the moment, or more with Steve Ballmer.

I saw a video of him the other day trying to dismiss Google Crome OS as pathetic and laughing it off. while squirmin in his chair like a frightend rabbit!

While I had issues with Gates, no one can argue he was a great buisness man and kept microsfot at the top of the game. With out him things seem to be slipping, and there seems no direction to the company. Google, Linux, Apple and all the rest are constantly chippin away.

how long before rather than every one playing catch up, the field is level, and then which way will microsoft go?

Totally agree, ballmer is a complete chump imo.

This clip confirms my statement :D :
    Microsoft Steve Ballmer Going crazy Insane Dancing
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »
    Totally agree, ballmer is a complete chump imo.

This clip confirms my statement :D :
    Microsoft Steve Ballmer Going crazy Insane Dancing

If I was in that audience, I'd be scared not to "come on" lol.
  • Options
    If Iwas in that crowd I'd be worried about the company (and my job)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote: »

Exactly, even movie studios are turning to games because the cost/investment/profit ratio is just too hard to ignore.

Besides I think Microsoft just changed their page for the launch because it is a big name title. The Xbox is their big money consumer platform.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What exactly is the point of this Microsoft bashing?
    Exactly.

Not to start a big debate, but Apple make most of their money from music or phone related items (ipods, iphone, istore etc.) and luxury computers. And linux/unix has a strong but not overly dominant presence in the server sector - there isn't much I would be too worried about if I were Microsoft. Upcoming Google Chrome OS is aimed at netbooks and not much else besides too.

It looks like a very corporate rebranding of the website, I would think it would have more of an impact if it was done on bing.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What exactly is the point of this Microsoft bashing?

I don't think this is microsoft bashing, But over the last few years (since Gates left), there has been a slowly changing direction to microsoft.

A few years back, a game (even one earning the amount this one has), would still have taken back seat. Microsoft use to keep there corprate Windows face quite seperate from the game/fun side. Before this would have been an icon/frame on the home page taking users to the information. Not the inyour face splash screen we see.

It's almost as though its a reply to "googles balls" the other day.. As though microsoft has to be seen to be doing intresting things to..

On top of this we see Steve Ballmer in all his interviews constantly dismissing the opostition while very little new ideas seems to be comming from microsoft them selves. (to be honest HALO is an old title now, and Like all game titles before it, at some point the end of the line will come)

The question has to be asked when a company that was so powerfull in the past, to only be reinventing an old brand while others are catching up in there core areas. Is the guy in charge the right pearson for the job? Yes this Game may be doing well, but it is only a tiny proporation of there yearly income.

Where is the inovation in microsoft that once held them as the undisputed kings of the PC market?
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    If Iwas in that crowd I'd be worried about the company (and my job)

There stock is undervalued, they're about to do a massive by back. They made more this year than in 08 when things were good and I believe outside of the xbox division which is tiny they made more money in every division than 08 or 09 financials. Win 7 is also cleaning up in there dominant market. They generate 22 billion in cash a year and are sitting on a stockpile incase a quality company comes along that fits there profile...I'm not sure what exactly there is to bash being that they're a mature company you don't expect 20% growth every year.

If you were in that crowd you would be smiling. and FYI balmer is an idiot but every company needs a brilliant idiot to manage there money.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    This all tells me what I've been suspecting for some time.

M$'s OS market is shrinking, and they've not been able to make solid forays into markets held by their competitors such as Apple.

I long ago figured that eventually M$ would end up focusing on gaming and personal electronics, like Apple, but with maybe a few niche servers they would continue to own the market on. That, and possibly Bing will move into Yahoo's former second place spot in the 'net world.

The day is coming much sooner than I figured. There will likely be much rejoicing among the Mac and Linux crowds.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    I don't think Mac and Linux will ever overtake MS but they can definitely take a little bite at the heels of MS. I think ms or M$ is just trying to do what they do best and that is to make as much money off what they can while they can.
    They proved themselves in the server market big time with 2003 and did it so well that businesses are not switching from that platform as they had from others. Hopefully MS is going to do something to encourage companies to switch to 2008 as I want my MCITP toraise in value in the marketplace.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Operating system market share

Boy they are really shaking in their boots - I tells ya!

Is that desktops or servers?

Because Nix doesn't need to take over the desktop scene to damage MS' profits. If all of a sudden there were no MS servers anymore, most major corporations would probably switch the desktops over to linux as well (why support multiple platforms). At least that's what I think would happen if it happened. It probably isn't very likely though.

Honestly, I want to know how do these threads keep coming up. Unless you have stock in some MS or you are a financial analyst this isn't really the place for the conversation. There is no need to get so defensive or whatever. This is a certification/technical forum not a business forum and although in the real world the two go hand and hand for the purposes of this forum there is no need for it. IMO.

And that wasn't directly at you personally Asif Dasl.
  • Options
    As far as I can tell it's just desktops. Id like to see it for servers
  • Options
  • Options
    As far as I can tell it's just desktops. Id like to see it for servers

Look at the bottom.
    Usage share of operating systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Operating system market share
    OS market share

Boy they are really shaking in their boots - I tells ya!

If Mac's prices drop to the level of windows PC's I think they will gain more market share, but I don't think Mac prices will drop in the near future.
  • Options

I would be very surprised to see any mass migration to linux on the desktop anytime within the next 10 years, very. Even if linux overtook the server market, windows clients can still log in to linux servers. It would be like Moses parting the red sea.

I am not sure if I get you analogy. If cloud based computing takes off then the OS really won't matter anymore then vendors are going to go what is cheap: A Linux machine with a browser. I don't think that is going to happen but when technology "evolves" to the point where the power is shifted completely to the cloud than Windows market share will probably decline.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    I think I better get working on my Linux Admin skillsicon_wink.gif
  • Options

If you want to work on high end servers or super computers it would seem so lol.
  • Options
    I want to do likewise, but not because I anticipate a tidalwave of linux on the desktop or server (which was my analogy of Moses BTW)

I'm not totally convinced with this whole cloud computing drive, Intel might have a lot to say about it.
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    I think you are all crazy if you think Microsoft has any problems in the PC or Server market ANY TIME soon.... they are just marketing their new product.

Apple

OMG I THINK APPLE IS GOING TO LOSE EVERYTHING BUT THE IPOD NANO!!! LOOK AT THEIR SITE!

They are losing all other products, the iPad and iPhone are no more!!

/sarcasm
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is not the first time the have skinned their home page in this way. I don't see the point in complaining about a corporation displaying the launch of one of it's products on its home page. I'm sure their share holders don't mind at all that they are promoting it.