Options

Wordpress blogs domains/hosting suggestions

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
I'd like to setup a technical blog (preferrbaly wordpress), so I need your recommendations for hosting/domains ?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

Comments

• Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Build your own server (only need an old laptop laying around), and install linux and wordpress and do it all your self. (Started mine a few weeks back)

then once you have it upand running (a few weeks) and really want the security of a hosted server, look around. If you are UK I would recomend ZEN, not cheep but very good, lunar pages are also good.

I'm lucky and work allow me to run mine of the back of our open access internet network we use for visitors. They gave me an old PC (about 5 years old that was to be disposed of), and it sits next to the network equipment.

If you can get this set up I would strongle suggest you do a self build, you will learn loads and it is a lot cheaper. I use ZEN to hold my domain name, think that costs about £30 a year. And I can go on to mage what IP's the various hosts (www.xxx, ftp.xxx , etc )point to.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HostMonster - Web Hosting is a great, easy solution. That's where I have mine currently, but I'm going to move it to a VPS (www.arpnetworks.com is fantastic) because I want more control over the server.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    Interesting, I think this is not possible for me right now, for so many reasons, but it's a good idea nonetheless. Must be a nice learning experience :) nice blog you have

DevilWAH wrote: »
    Build your own server (only need an old laptop laying around), and install linux and wordpress and do it all your self. (Started mine a few weeks back)

then once you have it upand running (a few weeks) and really want the security of a hosted server, look around. If you are UK I would recomend ZEN, not cheep but very good, lunar pages are also good.

I'm lucky and work allow me to run mine of the back of our open access internet network we use for visitors. They gave me an old PC (about 5 years old that was to be disposed of), and it sits next to the network equipment.

If you can get this set up I would strongle suggest you do a self build, you will learn loads and it is a lot cheaper. I use ZEN to hold my domain name, think that costs about £30 a year. And I can go on to mage what IP's the various hosts (www.xxx, ftp.xxx , etc )point to.

• Options
    poriggityporiggity Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will put in a plug for the hosting I use, and love.. SBWinVPS 99.9% uptime, and its very reasonable... They also use Directadmin panel, and installatron, so you can install wordpress directly to your site.
    Scott
    A+, 70-270, and working on 70-290 now. Certs are good.
    claymoore wrote:
    If you're unzipping your fly to show off your A+, N+ and Sec+, I'm going to ask if it's cold in here.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    HostMonster - Web Hosting is a great, easy solution. That's where I have mine currently, but I'm going to move it to a VPS (ARP Networks, Inc. Homepage is fantastic) because I want more control over the server.

Thank you. Well I think I'll go for the easier solution as I don't have much interest in tweaking things in the blog/server, so I might go for your 1st choice hostmonster. A friend of mine recommended "dream host" but it's not that cheap.

I need to buy a domain name and hosting service, and I need to upload wordpress or set it up with minimal interaction from my side

• Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    I use valuevps.co.uk for hosting, you can install different linux OSs such as CentOS, Debian, ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo & Opensuse. I don't run a blog but I want to set up a delegate proxy so I can access the BBC iPlayer icon_evil.gif You can choose to have a server in the UK or US.

OpenVZ VPS's - OpenVZ Virtual Private Server, UK and USA based servers.
    DeleGate Home Page (www.delegate.org)

I'll check it out, thanks

• Options
    poriggity wrote: »
    I will put in a plug for the hosting I use, and love.. SBWinVPS 99.9% uptime, and its very reasonable... They also use Directadmin panel, and installatron, so you can install wordpress directly to your site.
    Scott

Sounds easy enough for me ! I'll definitely check it out ! thanks ! icon_cool.gif

• Options
    triotrio Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I usually get good feedback from people using namecheap.com as hosting/domain.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    if you're willing to do vps, check out Linode.com. I run my blog and mail server off a VPS hosted by them