Options

VLAN Capability

controlcontrol Member Posts: 309
Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing some 2924 switches and have a question about VLANs. Is whether you can configure VLANs dependant on the actual switch model or the IOS that is installed. E.G If I have a 2924XL switch, does this support VLANs or will it depend on the IOS? Sorry, not to clued up on this and starting back at the start for my CCNA studies.

ALso - are CISCO 2610 routers with IOS 12.3 enhanced I.P suitable for CCNA? Would 2 of these and also a 1751 be enough router wise?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    control wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking at purchasing some 2924 switches and have a question about VLANs. Is whether you can configure VLANs dependant on the actual switch model or the IOS that is installed. E.G If I have a 2924XL switch, does this support VLANs or will it depend on the IOS? Sorry, not to clued up on this and starting back at the start for my CCNA studies.

ALso - are CISCO 2610 routers with IOS 12.3 enhanced I.P suitable for CCNA? Would 2 of these and also a 1751 be enough router wise?

Many Thanks

VLANs are going to be based off of your IOS. Any modern IOS running 12.x should be capable of creating vlans. The only problem you may run into is how to configure the vlans. If you have an older IOS, you may have to use the older "vlan database" and "apply or exit" to save your changes. If the IOS code is fairly recent, then the standard vlan config from global configuration mode will be available. My suggestion to you would be to get at least 2950 switches. They handle more modern features that the 2900XL series doesn't support.

For routers, you want to get something that runs at least 12.4 IOS. Especially if you plan on doing any track after you complete your CCNA. Just my thoughts... HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Just an FYI if you didn't already know. If you have a cisco.com login (free to register) you can get free IOS for 2900/2950 series switches. Unlike routers you do not need to pay or have a partnership agreement. Just check the feature navigator and make sure the switch hardware is capable of running the IOS with the features you want.

Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you also recommend the switches have 12.4 minimum?
    Can 2610 routers take IOS v12.4 if I have the maximum RAM load on the routers. Is there a minimum RAM for each of the IOS, just like there is for a windows O/S for example?

Apologies if my questions are basic...we all have to start somewhere I guess.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Open the cisco feature navigator linked above. It is your friend. All the info you are requesting in any possible config will be there.

The 2900XL switches look to max out at IOS 12.2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but you need 2950's and above which is where the features and commands changed enough to warrant the upgrade to them for CCNA studies...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Open the cisco feature navigator linked above. It is your friend. All the info you are requesting in any possible config will be there.

The 2900XL switches look to max out at IOS 12.2. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong here but you need 2950's and above which is where the features and commands changed enough to warrant the upgrade to them for CCNA studies...

I think 2900's max out at 12.0

VLAN database mode started to be phased out with 12.1
  • Options

Hi, looking at that cisco link it seems that the 2950 switches only support up to 12.1. Is this correct? and if so would the 2900 not be more suited at 12.2?

thanks
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A 2924XL-EN with the last available upgrade works fine as a 3rd (and 4th) switch for a CCNA lab. And there is one other model 2900XL model that can also run that last image -- but I don't remember the model number off hand (but it's probably one of the fat 2924XL models with the slots for FX or ATM modules).

Cisco Routers and Switches don't run the same IOS images and there is no direct relationship between the version numbers -- i.e., there is no 12.4 IOS for for Cisco Catalyst switches.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Hi, looking at that cisco link it seems that the 2950 switches only support up to 12.1. Is this correct? and if so would the 2900 not be more suited at 12.2?

2950 can support the latest 12.1 switch IOS

On mine I use 12.1(22)E c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA6.bin

2900 and 3500 cannot support any release after 12.0

The 12.1(22) IOS release is close to the latest and greatest for the layer 2 models and is way more affordable than the high end switches that can run the latest 12.2
  • Options
    The 2900XL switches look to max out at IOS 12.2

The 12.2 is for the 2900XL-ATM image. Not sure if it would work if you don't have the ATM module. If you click the link on the Cisco page, it says image not available.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi,

Many Thanks

Don't bother with the XL's because of the limited ios. Stick with 2950 switches and 2600XM routers.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Would the following be suffice to let me get through the labs and prepare for ccna.

3 x 2960 (12.1(14)EA1a)
    2 x 2610 routers (12.3 enhanced I.P)
    1751 Router (12.4)(23)

Do I need more than this?
    Are 1803 routers of any use?

Thanks
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You may want to look at 3550s if you are going with the more expensive 2960s (compared to 2950s). You can use them on the CCNP for layer 3 switching and the used cost of them is relatively the same as the 2960s last I checked. Also inless you already have them I would go with a low end 2600XM instead of the 2610s that you have. The 1803 would be just fine in my opinion.
  • Options
    And if you get a 3550 (which I also recommend), try to find a PoE model so that in the future you can power up phone and access points.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Would the following be suffice to let me get through the labs and prepare for ccna.

3 x 2960 (12.1(14)EA1a)
    2 x 2610 routers (12.3 enhanced I.P)
    1751 Router (12.4)(23)

Do I need more than this?
    Are 1803 routers of any use?

Thanks

Sorry, made a type - 3 x 2950 switches....
  • Options
    wastedtime wrote: »
    You may want to look at 3550s if you are going with the more expensive 2960s (compared to 2950s). You can use them on the CCNP for layer 3 switching and the used cost of them is relatively the same as the 2960s last I checked. Also inless you already have them I would go with a low end 2600XM instead of the 2610s that you have. The 1803 would be just fine in my opinion.

Are the 2600xms more "powerful/better" routers over the 2610? I would have though the 2610 was a higher model? no?
  • Options
    Are the 2600xms more "powerful/better" routers over the 2610? I would have though the 2610 was a higher model? no?

XM is the key here. A 26xxXM is better than a 26xx

A higher number is not necessarily better. A 2610 has one ethernet port and a 2611 has two, but a 2612 has one token ring + one ethernet port so a 2611 is most likely better unless you need to support an old token ring network.
  • Options
    Hey,

Been looking at some 2950 switches on ebay for my lab. What's the difference between the 2950G and 2950T? Make any difference to what I need?

Thanks
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't believe so. They both have the enhanced image, but one may have 1000 base-T ports where the other has GBIC slots.
  • Options
    Hey,

Been looking at some 2950 switches on ebay for my lab. What's the difference between the 2950G and 2950T? Make any difference to what I need?

Thanks

Read this:

Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches with Enhanced Image SW [Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
  • Options
    Also, if you get a 2950c, then you can hook it up to a router (3640) via fiber that has a fiber interface installed like a NM-1FE-FX-V2. All chics think fiber is cool.
    NM-1FE-FX-V2
    One-port Fast Ethernet network module (10/100Base Fiber only)
    NM-1FE-SMF
    One-port Fast Ethernet network module (10/100Base Single Mode Fiber only)
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Also, if you get a 2950c, then you can hook it up to a router (3640) via fiber that has a fiber interface installed like a NM-1FE-FX-V2. All chics think fiber is cool.
    NM-1FE-FX-V2
    NM-1FE-SMF
    NM-1FE-FX-V2
    NM-1FE-SMF

If the chics like it then good enough reason for me...

Are the fibre cables cheap enough, If I was to setup a fibre link between a 2950 and a 3640. Are there difference cable ends for fibre or is it a standard?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Are the fibre cables cheap enough, If I was to setup a fibre link between a 2950 and a 3640. Are there difference cable ends for fibre or is it a standard?
    The ends are standardised in that there are many different standards. You need to pick the correct cable depending on what interfaces you buy.
  • Options
    One last query on the 2950 switches or switches in general.... Can switch Flash/DRAM be upgraded the same as routers or do they come with a set allocation?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    One last query on the 2950 switches or switches in general.... Can switch Flash/DRAM be upgraded the same as routers or do they come with a set allocation?
    Fixed configuration switches like the 2950s don't allow you to change the RAM or flash in them at all.