Options

Not sure what path once I Finish Uni for this year and completed my HND

Hi guys

Comments

• Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    This is my opinion, not alot of people on this forum will agree (but then that's their opinion also):

1. Go for your degree, part-time after your HND (so you can still work and gain that qualification). You'll appreciate it in the future.

2. For now, forget about the MCSE/MCITP: SA and/or EA. Currently you do not work in a MS environment. And unless you designed domains, forests and sites in your previous job, concentrate on other things.

3. You currently work with Linux, look at the following certs: RHCT and/or RHCE.

4. Are you actually working with CISCO kit? Is it really worth doing those certs if you don't work with those technology? IMO "No". If you do, go straight ahead and do them.

Management may not hate MS, they may just not understand or see the value of implementing a MS environment. It could also be the cost (cost of the software, new hardware, training, etc) that is putting them off, especially in this "post" recession period where companies fold at a drop of a hat.

IMO, professional certifications are there to reflect your experiences (job role and responsibilities), otherwise they're useless.

-Ken
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    All my qualifcations
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    However opinions may vary pretty much everyone will say to continue with your degree.
    As for the MS certs, get them in your "spare" time, if you have any. You're currently developing Linux skills which will help you wherever you go. You're getting Linux skills at work so develop windows skills on your own. You'll be more well rounded.
    Keep looking for work while working your present job and completing school.
    Worry about the CCNA later after you get that new job. You'll have Windows and Linux skills to offer the new employer. Then get your CCNA and CCNP.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    I'm not trying to put you off, just relaying my own experiences...
    thomas130 wrote: »
    ...Regarding the Microsoft I did things like group policy etc I won't lie and pretend I setup domains etc however with my doing the qualifcation I have been setting up labs to make I can apply the knowledge...

Lab work and real work experience is two different things. In the time I've been an IT manager and trainer, I have come across too many people who have held the higher level professional qualifications (MCSE, etc) and couldn't join a PC to a domain or even change a proxy (in IE). Because of this, myself and alot of other IT managers are disregarding these higher certs if the experience doesn't match when a prospective candidate comes for a job.

I'm not saying "don't study for them" and I'm not saying that you'll fall into that category. Just don't be too hasty and rush into gaining everything all at once.

-Ken
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    I'm not trying to put you off, just relaying my own experiences...