moving directories to different drives

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
I have a few games I would like to keep on the computer but I need the extra space on the hard drive. Is there an way that windows can automatically move all the files and update the directory for the icons or would I have to do it manually?
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    In the past I have copied entire game directories (WOW). The shortcuts on my desktop broke, but that was a quick fix and then everything worked fine.

I don't think it was the approved method, but it worked.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Why not just add a new physical volume but assign it to a Folder and put the folder on that drive?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307889
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Why not just add a new physical volume but assign it to a Folder and put the folder on that drive?

That would still be required to move the files. You can't map a drive to a folder that already has files in it.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    That would still be required to move the files. You can't map a drive to a folder that already has files in it.

He said he just needed more space. This gives him more space and thus, no need to move the files.

And you're correct, so he just creates a new folder like c:\TempFiles and mounts the drive to that new folder. Voila, more space.

The moving of the files was the solution to the root problem of not having enough space, right? Unless I misunderstood.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's called a workaround, and a good one at that.
    Made the solution easier than anticipated.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    earweed wrote: »
    It's called a workaround, and a good one at that.
    Made the solution easier than anticipated.

Thanks earweed! :)