Options

Is this posible??

gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
topo.jpg

I cant ping any thing but the default gateway of the Laptop-PT Laptop2 as you see 1841 Router 1 is connected to a Linksys Wireless router by the LAN i think thats the problem right?? is this topology posible...

Comments

• Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well, is there any routing going on?

Other routers need to know about the existence of Router 1 via static or other routing protocols.

Check the routing tables on Router 1, see what you find.

2. Any access lists enabled?
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    yeah all the normal routers know all the routes and I not using acl...
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check the cable, easiest way is to swap it out with one of the other laptop to router connections
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Netwurk wrote: »
    Check the cable, easiest way is to swap it out with one of the other laptop to router connections

+1, I should have said that.........

Layer 1 stuff.........check the cable.

I'm rusty....icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    cable.....why is packet tracer..doesnt work here..
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    generally speaking, if you can't ping something, either something is being filtered, or something is missing a route.

since it's packet tracer, i doubt anything is being filtered. And it could be a bug, but what I would recommend is starting from scratch and building the topology one device at time, making sure everything has full connectivity before you add the next device, and then making sure everything has connectivity, and then so on.

To answer your initial question, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the topology itself, and it's certainly not impossible. Configuration error is more likely than not.
  • Options
    i think is imposible for the laptop 2 reach the other stuffs..because if i ping from the Router 1 to all other devices it work so i think because FA 0/0 is connected to LAN of the Lynksys so the Lynksys know that interface belong to that Subnet is just another node for the lynksys but Laptop 2 cant reach anything because the source ip address doesnt belong to the Lynkys lan subnet so is like if you want ping from the internet to your lan....doesnt work.. in a normal situation
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    cable.....why is packet tracer..doesnt work here..

I plead ignorance with PT - in the future let us all know you're using a sim

:)
  • Options
    i think is imposible for the laptop 2 reach the other stuffs..because if i ping from the Router 1 to all other devices it work so i think because FA 0/0 is connected to LAN of the Lynksys so the Lynksys know that interface belong to that Subnet is just another node for the lynksys but Laptop 2 cant reach anything because the source ip address doesnt belong to the Lynkys lan subnet so is like if you want ping from the internet to your lan....doesnt work.. in a normal situation

Well if the 1841 is connected to a switch port, then yes, it's not going to work because they won't be routing. that 1841 is going to look like a node, not a router. If you set the 1841 to do NAT, then laptop2 should be able to ping the other nodes, or else you'd need to setup routing between the linksys and the 1841
  • Options
    froufrou123froufrou123 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PT sucks up alotta time sometimes and most of those times it turns out to be a bug in it ... hate those moments. however cable does matter even in PT, ur using crossover for the router on right and straighthrough for router on left. we cant really help other than pointing out layer 1 problems unless configs are provided.
  • Options
    Well if the 1841 is connected to a switch port, then yes, it's not going to work because they won't be routing. that 1841 is going to look like a node, not a router. If you set the 1841 to do NAT, then laptop2 should be able to ping the other nodes, or else you'd need to setup routing between the linksys and the 1841
    yeah it work i used NAT but is weird that topology its a LAN topology i thought NAT it was just for internet stuff.
  • Options
    yeah it work i used NAT but is weird that topology its a LAN topology i thought NAT it was just for internet stuff.

heh, trust me, there are plenty of uses for NAT inside a company. For example, lets say company A buys company B and they want to merge their networks. Except they're both using 192.168.1.0/24 for internal addressing. Obviously, this doesn't work, so one of the sides is going to have to perform NAT in order for the two sides to communicate (or you could just deploy ipv6 internally, but that's a whole other kettle of fish).

So there are valid uses for NAT besides allowing 2 or more end user computers to fake out the internet and talk to it.

The problem you're running into is that you connected a router to a switch port, not to a router port. I'm guessing it's because the WRT300N only has one routed port, so you don't have much choice there. But since you connected an 1841 to a switch port, regardless of the fact that the 1841's port is routed, the 300N sees it as just another node on the network, it treats it the same it would PC0 (if I'm understanding how it's wired together, that is). I don't know if the 300N's base software would allow it to participate in a routing protocol like RIP from one of it's switch ports with the default firmware (in the real world, that 300N would probably be replaced by something like DD-WRT or Tomato, if possible). I've never dealt with 300N's, so I can't say.

So yeah, you can make the topology work, it just requires some more configuration. Personally, I'd replace the 300N with a layer3 switch and hang an access point off of that and elimate the 300N entirely.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    So yeah, you can make the topology work, it just requires some more configuration. Personally, I'd replace the 300N with a layer3 switch and hang an access point off of that and elimate the 300N entirely.

Agreed on this bit. I request that if you have a topology that is not working, instead of asking if it is possible tell us what you have, what configs you have, and what you are trying to accomplish. From there we can help you as best we could.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.