Options

1700 WIC-1ENET Question

ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if anyone knows about the WIC-1ENET (1-Port Ethernet Card) for a Cisco 1700 series router. I have a 1700 that has one FastEthernet port and I wanted to add an additional port so that I could connect it to my home network and do some labs with the FastEthernet acting as a link to a lab LAN.

The documentation lists the card as a WAN card. I just wanted to know if it limits the card in anyway or if it just acts as a 10Mbp port and the marketing use for the card is as a WAN interface.
WIP: CCNA

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was wondering if anyone knows about the WIC-1ENET (1-Port Ethernet Card) for a Cisco 1700 series router. I have a 1700 that has one FastEthernet port and I wanted to add an additional port so that I could connect it to my home network and do some labs with the FastEthernet acting as a link to a lab LAN.

The documentation lists the card as a WAN card. I just wanted to know if it limits the card in anyway or if it just acts as a 10Mbp port and the marketing use for the card is as a WAN interface.

How do you plan on using it? To my knowledge, it can be configured like any other layer 3 interface. You can use it for WAN PPP connections or as a gateway for LAN's.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It gives you a 10Mbps Ethernet port. How you use it is up to you. There is an IOS requirement for it - you need 12.2(4)T or higher. Pay attention to the "T" part, a higher non-T IOS won't work.

Read up on this link for more detail

Configuring a Single-Port Ethernet WIC on a Cisco 1700 Series Router - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    How do you plan on using it? To my knowledge, it can be configured like any other layer 3 interface. You can use it for WAN PPP connections or as a gateway for LAN's.

Thats what I was thinking, I just wanted to make sure.
  • Options
    Netwurk wrote: »
    It gives you a 10Mbps Ethernet port. How you use it is up to you. There is an IOS requirement for it - you need 12.2(4)T or higher. Pay attention to the "T" part, a higher non-T IOS won't work.

Read up on this link for more detail

Configuring a Single-Port Ethernet WIC on a Cisco 1700 Series Router - Cisco Systems

Thanks! This is very helpful. I did not find that page when I was googleing this and I might have to get a new IOS also.