scholarships?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
running a little short on college money... anyone have any scholarship sites? I have been through almost all of the forms on Scholarships.com
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Fastweb : Scholarships, Financial Aid, Student Loans and Colleges is a good site thats has alot of different scholarships to apply foricon_study.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undergrad or grad?

fastweb is meh....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    undergrad or grad?

fastweb is meh....

yea, they have alot of scholarships but didn't really get hits. They are out there and have friends that benefited from iticon_cool.gif
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I keep running into the ones that are need based. I don't qualify as "need" but if you pay my college then think of the freed up income I could put back into the economy by supporting the video game industry....
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    undergrad or grad?

fastweb is meh....

undergrad? I have an associates, but grad only counts for Master's right?

my problem is that I made good money last year, I made 80k, but I got laid off in March... so come September things are getting tight, but all these federal things want to look at last years pay, and then I'm screwed..
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    You should be able to talk to your school's financial aid office for "special circumstances" since you aren't making $80k now.

Fastweb is definitely meh. I remember sifting through grants of $500 if you win a science contest or scholarships for those related to a Civil War leader or general, etc.

P.S. Undergrad is Bachelor or below. Grad is Graduate School and Professional School (med school, JD).
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
    ssampier wrote: »
    You should be able to talk to your school's financial aid office for "special circumstances" since you aren't making $80k now.

Fastweb is definitely meh. I remember sifting through grants of $500 if you win a science contest or scholarships for those related to a Civil War leader or general, etc.

P.S. Undergrad is Bachelor or below. Grad is Graduate School and Professional School (med school, JD).

thanks dude, what do you mean I should talk to them about special circumstances? just go in there and be like, look dude, I'm going broke, you gotta help me out?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    thanks dude, what do you mean I should talk to them about special circumstances? just go in there and be like, look dude, I'm going broke, you gotta help me out?

Why not apply for jobs? Sounds like you have some experience and you have some certifications. No need to get 10 certs with 0 IT experience.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Have you filled out the FAFSA? At the very least you should be getting student loans. As I understand it, you aren't working now, correct? If you didn't make much money last year, you can get grants.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
    Have you filled out the FAFSA? At the very least you should be getting student loans. As I understand it, you aren't working now, correct? If you didn't make much money last year, you can get grants.

I made 80k last year, so I don't qualify for much, i got some student loans, but it didn't cover the full cost of tuition, the rest I paid out of pocket...

I took a test from the school and I got the highest score getting a$2,000 scholarship, but it has to be spaced out over quarters...

The school I am going to is well respected in my city, but it's very expensive
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
    N2IT wrote: »
    Why not apply for jobs? Sounds like you have some experience and you have some certifications. No need to get 10 certs with 0 IT experience.

I have a six year old son that I have full time, so if I want to go to a brick and mortar school, my only option is to go during the day while he is in school as well. So I am going to finish up this quarter then go back to work probably
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Mike-Mike wrote: »

I don't know all the details. But I remember specifically that the FAFSA form mentioned that "for special circumstances (like job loss) contact your financial aid office".

Also, there should be need-based scholarships there somewhere.

Finally does your school have a non-traditional student center? Generally they are centers for older students, working adults with children, etc. They would probably be the ones to help you more.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.