Options

Best Free/paid sms text messaging on computer

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi All,

I was hoping you all could help me in relation to the above subject.

I've been asked to look into the subject of a texting service for your computer. Basically someone sends a text message to a mobile number and it displays on the computer screen.

I need to know the software and hardware required to set this up. Also if anybody from Ireland who set this up as thats where i am based that would be great.

A good example of this service is on radio shows where people text in and the DJ read the message from his/her display.

Any help would be fantastic.

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The budget option is to just get a reliable phone which supports connection to a PC and then you can grab the message via that.

I used to know somebody who setup a SMS service doing that. He had rows of Nokia phones all plugged into a PC.

The slightly more expensive but also more reliable is to get one of the embedded GSM modems which will do the same thing but are designed to be on 24x7 and be 100% controlled via the connection to the computer.

Once you've got the message into the computer then you can process and display it however you wish. I set up one awhile back to alert various IT staff members if key servers went down or if network connectivity was lost.

There are various online services which will this for you as well but I've no recent experience with them.
  • Options
    PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
    tiersten wrote: »
    The budget option is to just get a reliable phone which supports connection to a PC and then you can grab the message via that.

I used to know somebody who setup a SMS service doing that. He had rows of Nokia phones all plugged into a PC.

The slightly more expensive but also more reliable is to get one of the embedded GSM modems which will do the same thing but are designed to be on 24x7 and be 100% controlled via the connection to the computer.

Once you've got the message into the computer then you can process and display it however you wish. I set up one awhile back to alert various IT staff members if key servers went down or if network connectivity was lost.

There are various online services which will this for you as well but I've no recent experience with them.
    Hi Tiersten,

Thanks for the reply, all good options. The moblie phone is a good contender and i'll look into the GSM modem path as well.

Thanks again

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
    Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University