Options

Passed CCNA with a 923/1000 Woot!!!!

vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
After a very trying morning that included spilled coffee and car trouble, I finally got to the testing center 5 minutes before my scheduled time. This was the second time for me to take the CCNA (First was back in '03 which I passed and let expire.)

I was not expecting to pass this exam after I got into it. I really let the time get away from me in the first half and really had to boogie to make it to the second half of the exam. Luckily, I felt I had done well on most of my sims so that allowed me to speed through the other types of questions more quickly. When I saw the pass and the fact that I got a 923, I was blown away. This exam is soo dependent on time management. If you get bogged down in a question, it has the potential to sink you.

Prep sources included Todd Lammle's CCNA book, Global Knowledge CCNA Boot Camp, Kaplan CCNA Practice Questions (came with the boot camp), Production and Lab Cisco Gear and GNS3

I've been working as a Network Engineer for a telco for the last year so I've had to really learn some hard lessons about the fundamentals of network theory that definitely helped on the test. The biggest obstacle I faced was the fact that I had no cisco access layer switches around to play with. Most of the stuff I work on is carrier grade and combines routing and switching (7600 series routers) so sometimes the commands and the practical application is a little different from say a Catalyst 2950. All in all though I'm glad to have recertified on the CCNA so I can move towards the CCNP and possibly work on the companion security tracks.

Whew :)
Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man! Great score!
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very cool. Congrats!

icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CONGRATS!

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    excellent score brother! congrats!
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    excellent man! Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a solid score man. Great job :)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Experience and CCNA good stuff!
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys...it was a good start to a great weekend. Just finished watching my Auburn Tigers hold off the Clemson Tigers and already my mind is drifting towards the CCNP. I'm kind of conflicted about whether to do CCNA Security or move straight on to CCNP Route. I am very interested in security and the CCIE is my ultimate goal so it's still kind of a toss up.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats, Awesome score.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1