Options

Digitus Network LAN & Communication Cable Tester

PremierCiscoPremierCisco Member Posts: 221
Hi All,

I have this cable tester, unfortunately I dont have the documentation that came with it.
Ive tried to find information on the website and the Internet about this model but to no avail. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

My questions are does anyone have this model?
Can I test network points with this model? And I know probably a silly question but how do you do it.

I could be way off base here but my thinking is that you plug an ethernet cable into the network point and the the main unit and use the remote terminator in the cabling closet where the network point connects to the patch panel?

On the TX and RX displays it has a green light starting and red lights numbered 1-8 for each wire in the cable when you press the test or manual button to perform test.

If you get a consecutive sequence of red lights on the TX and RX displays the cable is good. Am I correct in this assumption?

Failing that could you point me in the direction to a cable tester that checks the network points into room and the cable

Regards

Eamonn
Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
Certificate Information Technology and Computing - The Open University
Certificate in Computing and Mathematics -The Open University

Comments

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Hi All,

I have this cable tester, unfortunately I dont have the documentation that came with it.
    Ive tried to find information on the website and the Internet about this model but to no avail. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

My questions are does anyone have this model?
    Can I test network points with this model? And I know probably a silly question but how do you do it.

I could be way off base here but my thinking is that you plug an ethernet cable into the network point and the the main unit and use the remote terminator in the cabling closet where the network point connects to the patch panel?

Correct. This allows you to find the patch panel jack that the network data jack leads to.
    On the TX and RX displays it has a green light starting and red lights numbered 1-8 for each wire in the cable when you press the test or manual button to perform test.

If you get a consecutive sequence of red lights on the TX and RX displays the cable is good. Am I correct in this assumption?

Having never used one of those specific testers I would say yes. We have a paladin at work and as long as the red lights light up accross from each other for all 8 wires then you've got a good straight-through cable.
    Failing that could you point me in the direction to a cable tester that checks the network points into room and the cable

Regards

Eamonn

Another good tool is the Fluke network tester that can not only test cables and give you their distance, but can pull an IP address from a data jack on it's own so you can test whether or not it's hot. We have the LinkRunner at work which can do all that plus it can view PoE statistics, VLAN information and read all CDP packets. :)
    http://www.flukenetworks.com/fnet/en-us/products/LinkRunner+Pro/Overview.htm
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The Digitus tester seems to be a basic network cable tester. It only checks to see if there is a proper connection on all 8 wires. There isn't much to do except plug it in and push the button.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies,

Much appriciated.
    I look into the fluke network tester.

Regards

Eamonn
    Bachelor of Science in Computer Services Management - Limerick Institute of Technology
    Higher Certificate in Science in Computer Services - Limerick Institute of Technology
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Best cable tester I ever used.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have one by Ideal that I really like. I forget the model and don't have it handy, but it has your main unit and 8 remotes which can be used to identify ports, etc. Isn't quite as feature filled as something from Fluke, though it also only set me back just under $200 a couple years ago. It can measure cable length, wiring pinout, can perform a DHCP request and ping, also functions as a tone generator as well though most toners come with a generator too so eh. Just about everything I ever need it for.
  • Options
    Thanks folks,

Much appreciated the replies. I'll look into those models.

Regards

Eamonn