Options

Monitor Problem?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I have dual monitors hooked up that have been working fine until this morning.
This morning I was doing a practice test and left to get a cup of coffee and when I came back the primary monitor had a yellowish tint to it. Tried to find the problem via device manager and everything seemed to be ok. Rebooted computer to see if that would help..no difference I moved the cable for the secondary monitor and the primary cleared up. Few minutes later the secondary developed a blue tint to it. All connections secure as I tightened them the first time I checked them as both were a little unsnug. Rebooted to see if it would help and now the secondary monitor doesn't come on and is not even visible on device manager or when I try to configure via desktop personalization. The secondary monitor now says no signal.

Any help on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe it's a port on the card. Have you tried switching those between monitors? Can you connect it via an alternate connection (i.e. VGA instead of DVI)? Maybe the port on the monitor is failing.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cables do go bad too. Pretty quick and cheap fix if that is the issue.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Switch the monitor cables over. It appears to be the monitor (or it's cable) that's the problem. But why did that originally cause the other monitor to have the yellowish tint?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Cable's bad. I even checked to make sure it wasn't the VGA-DVI adapter. Those are both good.
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    Usually when you see different color on your screen it is either the cable is loose, bad cable, monitor VGA/DVI port going bad, or the GPU port is going to bad.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    Was the cable. Man it's like I'm back in the dark ages again with just 1 monitor..lol
    Wont be going anywhere near where I can pick up a new one until Tuesday.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    Was the cable. Man it's like I'm back in the dark ages again with just 1 monitor..lol
    Wont be going anywhere near where I can pick up a new one until Tuesday.

I know what you mean! After setting up and working with dual monitors anything less just seems so inefficient.

Better to buy a $10 cable than a $150 monitor though.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Yeah, I just decided to go an extra day and get it from Amazon. Saves a few bucks. It'll be here Wednesday.
    Glad it wasn't the monitor though as that would have had to wait a week or two to replace.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    Yeah, I just decided to go an extra day and get it from Amazon. Saves a few bucks. It'll be here Wednesday.
    Glad it wasn't the monitor though as that would have had to wait a week or two to replace.

Check out: HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!

Prices are the most reasonable that I have found.
  • Options
    Amazon Prime made it cheaper for me. The free shipping plus still having some left on my Amazon referral gift card made it irresistable.