Options

who does/doesn't have a job?

Comments

• Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I started into IT ~13 years ago. I had zero certs and zero experience, but a LOT of enthusiasm and a drive to learn. Today, my position is IT Operations Manager for an independent software development company. The certs and degree came along the way. Find something that you are passionate about in IT, something that you love to do. Be that "jack of all trades", but DO master one (area). That's the key to success from what I've seen in a lot of cases.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    cablegod wrote: »
    Be that "jack of all trades", but DO master one (area). That's the key to success from what I've seen in a lot of cases.

+1

Specialize with particular technology because not only will you be known as the "SQL guy" or "Exchange 2010 girl" around the workplace, but you will also have a confidence that doesn't come with the "jack of all trades" position. That confidence will definitely shine during interviews.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Sure. I've seen people working help desk read **** all day between calls and get a huge list of certifications -- but without the knowledge and skills they should have gained if they had actually studied and earned their certifications, they never get off the help desk.

I didn't know you met my previous co-worker. I busted his butt every chance I got XD. Trying to motivate him to actually work...
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    BlackBellaBlackBella Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I PT people at the gym here and there, but I don't have a job. I am going to start looking for one as a help desk tech or something of that nature after I get my first certification soon.

I am not stressing the no job thing right now either. I owe $0, got a friend to pay all my bill's and student loan off, and PT help keep some money in the pocket. icon_cheers.gif
    GSU- BA International Studies
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
    1st term goal: EWB,WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, , GUT1
    Certifications::study: One day soon
  • Options
    jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Sure. I've seen people working help desk read **** all day between calls and get a huge list of certifications -- but without the knowledge and skills they should have gained if they had actually studied and earned their certifications, they never get off the help desk.
    I'm not going to lie; I used to laugh at people like that. Especially for the Security+. Be at work all day going over **** then come back to work after the exam with the poo poo face. After I passed, I had everybody in there ordering Darril's book...

*need to PM him about getting my cut* ...lol
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I started my new job last week and well...I guess I am a full time security auditor now. Been cramming through documentation covering regulations and requirements the past week.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jahsoul wrote: »
    *need to PM him about getting my cut* ...lol

The cut....I still want my rebate for paying full price on the Kindle! icon_lol.gif

I don't mind evangelizing (for lack of a better term) his book though....this was definitely considered to be the "hardest" exam out of the Trinity....but after reading Darril's book.....not so much. LMAO.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The cut....I still want my rebate for paying full price on the Kindle! icon_lol.gif

I don't mind evangelicazing his book though....this was definitely considered to be the "hardest" exam out of the Trinity....but after reading Darril's book.....not so much. LMAO.
    lol...I got the Kindle version the day it went to $9.99. I was going to get the book on payday. When payday came, the ebook was 10 bucks. Had to get it. lol. But his book was just the truth. If I could get him to write "Project+-Get Certified, Get Ahead," it would be on..lol
  • Options
    jahsoul wrote: »
    If I could get him to write "Project+-Get Certified, Get Ahead," it would be on..lol

MAN! I was thinking the same thing! +1,000,000 on that!!! LMAO......

The sad thing is, by the time he writes it, we'll both be Project+ certified....lol.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I just took a new job 3 months ago. At the time I only had an AAS and A+, but 8 years of experience. I've gotten my CCENT since, and should have the CCNA in the next month or so.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    xenodamus wrote: »
    I just took a new job 3 months ago. At the time I only had an AAS and A+, but 8 years of experience. I've gotten my CCENT since, and should have the CCNA in the next month or so.

Hey, where did you get your CCENT logo? I have had my CCNA for a while and just got my CCNA:S. MS makes it really easy with there logo builder, does Cisco have something similar?
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey, where did you get your CCENT logo? I have had my CCNA for a while and just got my CCNA:S. MS makes it really easy with there logo builder, does Cisco have something similar?

The CCENT logo is available via the Certification Tracking System once you pass the exam and Cisco has recognized the results (just like your CCNA and CCNA:S):
    https://i7lp.integral7.com/durango/do/login?ownername=cisco&channel=cisco&basechannel=integral7
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've got a job at the moment. I didn't a month and a half ago.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    I am glad you do now, its rough out there, but getting better I think.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's rough everywhere in the world, I used to send my CV let's say 10 times and get at least 4-5 interviews now I have to send it 50 times in order to get 2-3 although my experience is now better and with more Certs.

I hope it will rebound and boost again.
  • Options
    What websites are people using to send resumes besides CareerBuilder, Indeed, and Dice?
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
    Classed needed to graduate: WFV1,TEV1,TTV1, AKV1, GTT1, LET1, GUT1, WSV1, WDV1, TPV1, TSV1,MGC1, ORC1, TWA1, PFI6, CPW6, ALV1, AMV1
  • Options
    za3bour wrote: »
    It's rough everywhere in the world, I used to send my CV let's say 10 times and get at least 4-5 interviews now I have to send it 50 times in order to get 2-3 although my experience is now better and with more Certs.

I hope it will rebound and boost again.

Yep, thats how it was for me the last time I was unemployed - hundreds of resumes were sent before I got an interview. That was early summer 2009. I would ride my bike during the day to save gas!
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    BlackBella wrote: »
    What websites are people using to send resumes besides CareerBuilder, Indeed, and Dice?

The Ladders.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    The Ladders.

^If you can afford it/feel you are at the 100K level

What about monster?
  • Options
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    The Ladders.

Vielen vielen vielen.....herzlichen Dank! I have a hobby to do for the rest of my day.
    ^If you can afford it/feel you are at the 100K level

What about monster?

Prices aren't bad, but no way I am at a 100k level. icon_cry.gif

I am trying to be a Desktop baby, while I work on my BSIT and M.A. at the same time.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options
    You know what is a really under used resource for finding jobs? The local classifieds. I have had several leads from local classifieds and a part time job from those leads. Word of mouth and local advertisements are still extremely important in this highly technical, impersonal job search of today.
  • Options
    You know what is a really under used resource for finding jobs? The local classifieds. I have had several leads from local classifieds and a part time job from those leads. Word of mouth and local advertisements are still extremely important in this highly technical, impersonal job search of today.

icon_cheers.gif Komapsumnida! Living at this boring base, I didn't even think about that for jobs. I look at them daily for fur babies I cannot have at the moment.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options
    icon_cheers.gif Komapsumnida! .

Um you welcome (lol)

Living at this boring base, I didn't even think about that for jobs. I look at them daily for fur babies I cannot have at the moment.

If you are talking about military (and assuming you mean US) you could look at USAJOBS.gov.
  • Options
    Um you welcome (lol)

lol! Right

If you are talking about military (and assuming you mean US) you could look at USAJOBS.gov.

I do use them! To get into the It field requires experience and certifications. I have tried to get into the system with " not the best qualified" over and over. I finally got one that is reviewing my resume icon_cheers.gif. It isn't doing IT related stuff, but its in the IT Department, if I get it network. If not, I will apply for a internship.

Network and network, and do some side jobs.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options
    Um you welcome (lol)

I had to figure out who this was for a second...lmbo.

Don't let me slip up and find a picture of a black switch.....it'll be on...lol
  • Options
    To get into the It field requires experience and certifications.

If that were true, NONE OF US would be here reading this forum. We all had to start somewhere, right? icon_cool.gif

It is pretty much a combination of drive, connections (just like in regular life), and a certain aptitude to take technical concepts and make it practical. Certs will never, ever be a substitute for experience.

Also, if a college degree were also required, many of us (myself included) would not be here as well. (No you didn't state that, but I was just throwing that out there.)
  • Options
    If that were true, NONE OF US would be here reading this forum. We all had to start somewhere, right? icon_cool.gif

It is pretty much a combination of drive, connections (just like in regular life), and a certain aptitude to take technical concepts and make it practical. Certs will never, ever be a substitute for experience.

Also, if a college degree were also required, many of us (myself included) would not be here as well. (No you didn't state that, but I was just throwing that out there.)

I am speaking in reference for the IT jobs on the military base in the GS 9's and up that i've applied for on at USJOBS.Gov. I guess I should had been more specific in my response earlier.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options
    I just want to start out doing desk help work, because I have limited experience. I had to learn to crawl before I walked. Well in my niece case, spin first.

I have a B.A. International Studies
    Minor: Spanish and German

I will have a M.A. in Procurement and Acquisition Management Fall 11
    Depending on how many credits WGU takes, a BSITDB to follow.

That is cool and all, but I just NEED some experience while I am working on two degree's.
    WGU BSIT-Database
    (10/01/2010-03/31/2011)
  • Options

I don't think that her statement is completely true but I think it is more true now and than it was 10 years ago. It will be more true 10 years from now than it is today.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a job.

I have 4 years experience along with the certifications listed in my info.

Work full time as a Systems Administrator for a large auto dealership group. Support over 500 employees in 7 different locations. I do everything from desktop support/helpdesk to servers.