Options

Turn on power to NIC card

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
While working with our software vendor to resolve some SQL issues, it was suggested that the power option on the NIC card be disabled so that XP cannot shut down the card to save power. Just changing it in power management does not keep the settings. Once you reboot, they are back to default.

I did some searching, and found a registry hack that supposedly allows you to override and disable XP's ability to turn this function on. In the PnPCapabilities it is recommended to set a value of 38 that will prevent XP from turning off the network adapter. That was tried on numerous machines, but again, once rebooted, it goes back to default.

Has anyone done this successfully, and what value did you use?

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why don't you just turn it off in Device Manager?
  • Options
    I've done it in device manager as well as through the properties of the card via control panel, and the same thing happens. Defaults back to being turned on.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I've done it in device manager as well as through the properties of the card via control panel, and the same thing happens. Defaults back to being turned on.

I always change this on my computer and never have any issues. Do you have something like deep freeze that is preventing registry changes?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    No we dont. What makes it further interesting, is it does not change right away on a lot of the PCs. Some will go days without it changing back to default.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does XP actually turn off the card when you're using it? Only time I've ever seen a NIC power down is when nothing was plugged into it.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Anyone know the GPO or registry setting to set on Windows 7 to do this?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Does XP actually turn off the card when you're using it? Only time I've ever seen a NIC power down is when nothing was plugged into it.

I believe so. This was actually a major issue at one of my former jobs. The nics would go to sleep in the middle while people were inside the software and write blanks lines to the database.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I believe so. This was actually a major issue at one of my former jobs. The nics would go to sleep in the middle while people were inside the software and write blanks lines to the database.
    What a crap design/driver! Ewwwww