Options

Reading 1st book for CCNA

simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
Just got the Cisco two books set for CCNA. Started reading the 1st chapter for CCENT and I'm glad that I took net+ first to give me better foundation on the network stuff.

Comments

• Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    It's always nice when material from certs overlap. Not only isn't the CCENT material completely overwhelming, you'll also feel like you're furthering the knowledge you gained from Network+ as you go. Good luck with your CCENT/CCNA studies. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Ryuksapple84Ryuksapple84 Member Posts: 183
    Good luck man, I liked CCENT because I enjoyed the theory.
    Let me know if you need any help with the subjects.
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good Luck, another good book is the Todd Lammle book, I used it for my ccent studies in addition to the cisco press book, but I really liked Todd Lammle's book.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How did yoy like the fred flintstone network..lol
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Yeah, I remember the flinstones network... of all the examples...
    Eating humble pie.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Yeah, I remember the flinstones network... of all the examples...

your avatar cracked me up
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    qwerty_faceqwerty_face Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I also just begun reading that chapter - last night in fact. It's a good book and well-written. Dunno about anybody else but I always find black-and-white books hard to learn from though. Would be better if it was in colour.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    Kind of a lite read, right. If you are planning on reading over class or CBT I would add other books too. Todd or in my case Chris Bryant can give different insite when wendel is splitting your mind or vis-a-versa. Also start planning now between a home lab and a high end simulator. Another option is buying lab or rack time, this way you are working on real stuff but without it.

Just remember YOU CAN DO IT, focus on that and go for it.
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    Yeah, Flintstone cracked me up =). I'm thinking of getting Todd's book as well. What's the bare minimum for the lab on CCENT? Can I start with a couple 2950 switches?
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The first book isn't too bad.

Make sure you can recite the OSI at 4 AM, even if you're drunk.

Difference between stright-through, Cross over and roll over and when to use each cable.

Wire color codes are helpful too.
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    iSpaZZZiSpaZZZ Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Todd Vs Wendell.

What do people think? Wendells book is more expensive, and the reviews on Amazon are not as good as Todds, although they are good!

I also noticed that Jeremy Cioara does a book, (exam cram) that is reasonably priced.

What's the consensus peeps?? Which is the all round best and what are the pros and cons of each.

:)
    [40%] CCNA
    [10%] MCSA / MCITP:SA < WHICH one?
    [2%] RHCE < what I WANT to do!
  • Options
    After reading a few chapters of Todd's, I like his book better than Wendell.
  • Options
    simtech wrote: »
    After reading a few chapters of Todd's, I like his book better than Wendell.

What makes you say that, is it more in depth? Does it explain things better? Or is it simply more easy to read?
    [40%] CCNA
  • Options
    proleonkproleonk Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have used both Todds and Wendels books, and would say that Todd's was easier to read. However, it seems that he covers what is mainly on the exam with not much depth, where as Wendels books goes a bit more into detail.
    Either way, I still would recommend getting both books for any individual who starts out. I found it easier to start with Todd's book for an overview, and then Wendels to go more into depth as the material wasnt completely new anymore.
    Also, get the Kit with the Lab and both books, I passed my ICND1 with ease with those resources.
    Working on...
    MCSA 70-290 (50%) 70-291 (5%)
    ICND2 - 0% (on Hold)
  • Options
    mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    iSpaZZZ wrote: »
    Todd Vs Wendell.

What do people think? Wendells book is more expensive, and the reviews on Amazon are not as good as Todds, although they are good!

I also noticed that Jeremy Cioara does a book, (exam cram) that is reasonably priced.

What's the consensus peeps?? Which is the all round best and what are the pros and cons of each.

:)

I think I liked Todd's better, it seemed to be easier for me to read. Maybe it just wasn't as dry as Wendell's. Don't get me wrong I liked Wendell Odom's books too, i don't think I would ever try a cisco cert. without reading one of his books, but for the ccent I liked Todd's better.
  • Options
    iSpaZZZ wrote: »
    What makes you say that, is it more in depth? Does it explain things better? Or is it simply more easy to read?

It's easier to read. I feel I can grasp the material faster too.
  • Options
    ToddBToddB Member Posts: 149
    If I was only going to read 1 book I would choose Todd but with a name that great what do you want. I'm a fan of using more then 1 book, it the same reason we are on this site. So you can ask what do you mean? For subnetting I read everything out there. Found the best info on this site, but the system I use is a little of all. I used Ciscopress wendel and Chris Bryant but found instead to use chris as my main point and back up with ciscopress. Now get back to the book or books and I'll do the same. icon_study.gif
    :thumbup:

Phil 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."
  • Options
    No doubt reading, or at least going over, many books is no doubt the best tactic. I think i'll most likely go with Todd for the first.

BTW: what books come with the Bonson exams? I gather they are harder than the test exams, good practice I think!

Cheers Guys
    [40%] CCNA
  • Options
    I think Cisco press books, if purchased in regards to an exam, then they will definitely cover what is on the exam. I feel that is enough as they are usually over 500 pages.

Currently I am about to take my Juniper switching exam and in the meantime, I am reading MPLS Fundamentals. That is also a Cisco Press Book and I can tell you, that has a lot if info.

Good luck.
    Eating humble pie.