When to follow up

dadajidadaji Posts: 96Member ■■□□□□□□□□
I had applied for a job on the 15th Sept. which was the deadline. Next day I called the HR dept. to ask if they have receive the application as I had faxed it and the HR lady told me that they have received it.
Now my question is when do I call them ask about the status? I have the HR number and the IT dept number.
Also, should I call the HR dept or the IT dept? I am really hopeful about this position that I will atleast get a call.

Thank you.

Comments

  • thenjdukethenjduke Posts: 894Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can follow up the end of this week. I usually do after two weeks of application or interview. I would call HR because they are the main point of contact.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Posts: 2,621Member
    Email whoever you submitted your resume to or you've had correspondence with. After a week they should know where they are in the process. Obviously you should keep applying and interviewing for as many jobs as possible.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    [email protected]
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Posts: 912Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    damn, ya'll doing stuff i'd never do. if i havent gone on an interview with the company or been contacted by the company after my resume submission, i dont contact them. IMO, i see that as too much. sometimes it takes companies a while to get back to you, its happened to me b4. hell, i'm too busy applying to multiple companies to even worry about trying to contact ones i've already i applied to.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • thenjdukethenjduke Posts: 894Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    damn, ya'll doing stuff i'd never do. if i havent gone on an interview with the company or been contacted by the company after my resume submission, i dont contact them. IMO, i see that as too much. sometimes it takes companies a while to get back to you, its happened to me b4. hell, i'm too busy applying to multiple companies to even worry about trying to contact ones i've already i applied to.


    I usually get back to the ones I am interested in. Trust me you should follow up. They usually will dismiss the candidate that does not.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Senior Member Posts: 1,550Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I usually get back to the ones I am interested in. Trust me you should follow up. They usually will dismiss the candidate that does not.
    That does not match my experience at all. If I have to contact them, it means they're not interested, and chances are they will completely ignore any contact from me anyway.
    MentholMoose
    LFCE - MCITP: EDA7, VA, SA, EA - MCSA:S 2003 - CCA (PVS 5, XD 3 / 4 / 5, XS 5 / 6) - VCP 4 / 5
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Posts: 912Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    thenjduke wrote: »
    I usually get back to the ones I am interested in. Trust me you should follow up. They usually will dismiss the candidate that does not.

    ionno man...i guess its different strokes for different folks, cuz i've applied to jobs & gotten call backs and NEVER hit them up to ask them if they have received my resume & where they are at in the process. you know these companies get a ton of resumes for all types of positions, so i doubt they'll really want to have an applicant calling them asking them if they received it, and where they're at. having said that, if & when i get call backs & go on the interview, i usually follow up with the hiring manager, unless i wasnt really feeling the company after the interview, and there's been times when i left an interview and couldnt give a flyin fawk if that company called me back or not. And another, getting contact info is sometimes difficult to do, especially when you do the online application forms.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • dadajidadaji Posts: 96Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the reply.
    This is ironic but couple hours after posting this thread, I got a job offer from a college I had interviewed for a month and a half ago. Didn't think I would get a call back because they said I will receive a call in 2 weeks whether its a Yes or a No and I never did.

    Its for a Desktop Support position.

    Downsides : There's not a big increase in salary, less than $4, and I will have to move since its an hour away from where I live, have to leave my wife behind 'cause she has a steady job going.

    Upsides: Its in a college so I think all the amenities will be available, like the gym, pool, library etc. and I get benefits. I can't think of anything else as the upside.

    Now the question is should I take it or pass it. I know that it all depends on me but just need your opinion. The new job is in the city so the standard of living will be a little higher, but this is the first offer I got in 10 months of applying. I am kind of excited but I have to think of other things and that is why I need your opinion i.e. from an outsider.

    Thank you again.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Posts: 894Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    ionno man...i guess its different strokes for different folks, cuz i've applied to jobs & gotten call backs and NEVER hit them up to ask them if they have received my resume & where they are at in the process. you know these companies get a ton of resumes for all types of positions, so i doubt they'll really want to have an applicant calling them asking them if they received it, and where they're at. having said that, if & when i get call backs & go on the interview, i usually follow up with the hiring manager, unless i wasnt really feeling the company after the interview, and there's been times when i left an interview and couldnt give a flyin fawk if that company called me back or not. And another, getting contact info is sometimes difficult to do, especially when you do the online application forms.

    I was not meaning calling them to ask if they got my resume. I am talking about after the interview process. I always like to follow up with a thank you letter. I will usually follow up two weeks later after the thank you letter to see where they are in their decision process. It really depends on the company like you said.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • thenjdukethenjduke Posts: 894Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    dadaji wrote: »
    Thank you all for the reply.
    This is ironic but couple hours after posting this thread, I got a job offer from a college I had interviewed for a month and a half ago. Didn't think I would get a call back because they said I will receive a call in 2 weeks whether its a Yes or a No and I never did.

    Its for a Desktop Support position.

    Downsides : There's not a big increase in salary, less than $4, and I will have to move since its an hour away from where I live, have to leave my wife behind 'cause she has a steady job going.

    Upsides: Its in a college so I think all the amenities will be available, like the gym, pool, library etc. and I get benefits. I can't think of anything else as the upside.

    Now the question is should I take it or pass it. I know that it all depends on me but just need your opinion. The new job is in the city so the standard of living will be a little higher, but this is the first offer I got in 10 months of applying. I am kind of excited but I have to think of other things and that is why I need your opinion i.e. from an outsider.

    Thank you again.

    Is your wife going to come with you sooner or later? Would it be worth to have to be apart. Remember family is first thing in life in my book. I could not live away from wife like that and only see her on the weekends.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • dadajidadaji Posts: 96Member ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you thenjduke.
    I have thought about it but I don't know if my wife will join me sooner or later because frankly speaking she is earning more than I do even though she is a teacher. Another thing is I live in a small town and to get a job I Will have to move. But then if the pay is good, she can move with me or maybe I can negotiate my current offer and see what they have to offer. Hmmm... will have to consult the wife and sleep on it.

    Thank you anyways.
Sign In or Register to comment.