A cert. score

qwerty_faceqwerty_face Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you have ever experienced any bias from employers (positive or negative) about the grade you got in your exams?

QF.

Comments

• SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you have ever experienced any bias from employers (positive or negative) about the grade you got in your exams?

QF.

a pass is a pass. i've never had an interview where they asked what score did you get?
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I agree with Somni; I haven't experienced any interviewers asking me about the exact scores on the tests. Just seems kind of odd to me really.

The question that comes up is what if you happen to get the "harder" pool on test day and scored lower yet you knew the material extremely well (I guess the other side of reason would say if you knew your stuff, it wouldn't matter what pool the questions came from).

Thats my 2cents.

EDIT: This should be moved to General Certification or IT Degrees/Jobs.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wasn't asked on my last interview about the certifications and the scores I got. Plus it's not really any of their business what score I got on the test. What matters is that the test was passed using legit study materials.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I've never been asked either... I think for the most part the main industry certifications require such high scores to pass that the employers are really just looking at the merit of the cert itself rather than if you got 825 or 925.....
  • apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Nope, I've never been asked and as others have said, a pass is a pass.

I don't walk up to lawyers and asked how high they scored on their BAR exam, the important thing is that they passed. It's how they perform on the job that should affect their client's opinion.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Never been asked. Do they ever publish the percentile ranks of scores? I figure a passing score has to be at least 70th percentile.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□

Where I work... some of the guys will use this as "break room talk" where they would compare their scores on common exams... as an example, some of the guys recently got their Sec+ and they all scored very well (950ish). They all use it to rag on each other... nothing serious though! Like others have said, it's not something that has come up (nor should it come up) in an interview or by the boss...

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Only public scrutiny with the SANS certs since your score is posted on the internet. I was somewhat embarassed to get an 89 on the GCFW knowing I was literally one wrong question from making the advisory board and getting a 90. It made me work harder on the GSEC and GCIH though :)

If someone wants to call out your score you should really just challenge them to do better. Haters gon hate, son.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    If the interviewer is an IT Administrator, nobody will ask you about your score in Cisco or Microsoft exams. They will focus more on what you know and will grill you on the certification topics to really check if you are not just a papercert of sort. But if the interviewer is an HR guy or an IT manager that knows nothing in networking/systems (some IT manager that I encounter don't know networking or systems admin job because they are pure programmer or just become manager via company politics), then this kind of what's your score in your CCNA exam question will crop up.