Security+ in one week?

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was considering banging this out, but want to do it in a week (9/30). Browsing the forums, I have seen alot of stellar comments regarding the Darril Gibson book. I'd like to start studying tomorrow, but the book would take a couple, if not 3 days to get here and that cuts into my study time. I can't do electronic copies, I need something in my hand (preference) to carry around with me and mark it up with a pen and sleep with it etc...

So I wanted to ask a couple of questions, one being... If the Darril Gibson book is the Security+ 5 star book, what is 4 star book or second most recommended book--any thoughts?

As for someone who is finishing the 220-702 icon_study.gif tomorrow, I wanted to pick up the most recommended book from Borders / Barnes & Noble on my way home and start studying!

I have also heard the the A+/N+ overlap alot S+ material. So I also wanted to know what domains / subjects would require more or less focus for someone looking to sit on this exam by 9/30?

Domain % of Examination
1.0 Systems Security 21%
2.0 Network Infrastructure 20%
3.0 Access Control 17%
4.0 Assessments & Audits 15%
5.0 Cryptography 15%
6.0 Organizational Security 12%
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    I currently am also studying for the Sec+. Finished Darril's book and it does cover the domains very well. I would recommend getting down with the Cryptography section because it does cover a great deal.

Personal advice; other textbooks are rather bloated for this exam. I would read various Security+ blogs and Youtube videos to get a good foundation... for free :)
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Hmm, my first question would have to be what's the rush? If you're at A+/Network+ level in your studies, I doubt that you'd be able to pass the Security+ with only a week of study, (it would be very, very tough to do even with many years of experience in infosec,) let alone retain any of the information long enough for it to be practical and useful in your job.

As for the best book after Darril Gibson's? I'd say it would have to be either the Sybex or McGraw-Hill, if you're stopping off at Borders, just grab a cup of coffee and page through each one to see which is a better read for you. I used an older edition of this book, but that was mainly because it was required for a class I was taking at the time. It was pretty good, but I think I'd have preferred something else.

There are going to be a lot of things on this exam that you've touched on in A+ and Network+, (as well as Linux+, Convergence+, and Server+,) but don't expect to see too much in terms of familiar content. Security+ is intended to further your knowledge of how to secure the technologies you previously learned to work with. It expects, and fairly so, an excellent grasp of the A+ and Network+ material to build on. The topics for Security+ are fairly advanced in comparison to CompTIA's other offerings, and should not be taken lightly.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Hmm, my first question would have to be what's the rush?

My wifes patience is running thin ... lol

Seriously, I just wanted to bang it out if I could quickly. I think I can get a voucher for less than half the original cost. Also, I briefed some blogs/sites and a Sybex pdf file I found out there.

It seems some of the other stuff covered was also touched on in my Cisco studies as well. I took my ICND2 exam recently and fell a bit short icon_sad.gif. So I felt it might be realistic (from what I have read on overlapping) if I found a good short read on the topics and a good price on the voucher... just thought I'd take a chance with it. It might just be best to hold off too, buy the book and take it a week later.

It's just that I have the time right now, not working (on leave from work for a week or two longer). So banging it out / getting a good price ... I'm considering it!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the Sybex book slowhand mentioned. It's a good book, but with a little extra fluff.

Are you talking 8-10 hours (minimum) a day for studying? Then you may be able to pass, but it is quite a bit of information to digest, much less retain as mentioned above. The overlap with A+ and Net+ helped, but there are so many acronyms and new topics.

Don't forget the TechNotes on here.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    It is possible to do Security+ in one week. I spent portion of a good week reading Darril's book and skimming the Security+ Sybex book. That's full time studying, however.

Part-time studying I bet you could bang it out in 2 weeks time. The exam isn't hard, but don't underestimate it.

If you're dead set on one week time you may be better to use Transcender and memorize all the sample questions LOL

Just kidding, don't be a certificate paper-tiger.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Not working? Then for sure, you can study & pass in a week. Just be sure you're actually going to retain the info long-term. You only get one shot at a first impression and if someone knows you have Security+ but you're unable to demonstrate it in the real-world then you may never get a chance to impress that person again.

Certifications are only as good as what you put into them.
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah it can be done but it depends on realistic experience you have. Studying and preparing for Security+ just means you are ready to answer InfoSec questions the CompTIA way. It is a good base level security certification but as others have mentioned how much will you retain.

If you will not remember enough to be useful for a job the certification is not worth much!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • xg3xg3 Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i am trying it.. Finished N+ on 17th, S+ for the 29th..

well not a week, but 12 days.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I knocked out Net+ 2 days before I did Sec+! It is possible, just be prepared.
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it is doable but the objective isn't just to pass the test. Will you remember anything you have learned in 6 months? A year? Longer? I think it is possible but I also think you need to remember not to neglect the learning side of certification.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ssampier wrote: »

Just kidding, don't be a certificate paper-tiger.
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Just be sure you're actually going to retain the info long-term. You only get one shot at a first impression and if someone knows you have Security+ but you're unable to demonstrate it in the real-world then you may never get a chance to impress that person again.

Certifications are only as good as what you put into them.
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    It is a good base level security certification but as others have mentioned how much will you retain.

If you will not remember enough to be useful for a job the certification is not worth much!
    I think it is doable but the objective isn't just to pass the test. Will you remember anything you have learned in 6 months? A year? Longer? I think it is possible but I also think you need to remember not to neglect the learning side of certification.

Guys, I couldn't agree with you more! Believe me my intent right now is NOT to do a braindump and waltz around like I am know it all. Attaining these certifications is just a part of a larger scope of plans to make myself more marketable.

Most of these certs, I should have gotten in the past. The truth is I must be a pretty sick individual... I truly have a passion for networking and chasing the bits! Whatever I learn will stick with me... if not, I never throw out my books, so I would have a reference if needed.

The flipside of all this is I don't want to waste my talents and abilities, but due to my locale and place in life... I and underemployed at this point. Additionally it's very hard to get an interview sometimes with just a degree and no certs, so I'm filling in that section on the resume a little.

Thanks for all the great feedback and support--however I'm undecided to get the Sec+ now, or maybe go the MCSA track now that I have the prerequisites for one of the electives.
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Alright--I'm ready to throw down on some studying! icon_study.gif

Ordered the Gibson book and got it yesterday!

Halfway through the book already, no suprises so far. Didn't take the pretest, but after reading the chapters, I have sustained an 80+% on the end of chapter excecises. Some chapters, I came close to acing, but a couple I didn't do as well. The questions I am missing are half / half ...(half narrowed down to 2 choices / other half just tired or didn't read all the question).

So hopefully by Sunday, I will be doing ALL the practice questions, pretest and review, along with any online test I can find.

l will probably schedule test for next week, CompTIA Trinity--here I come! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    It's possible. It took me four days (3-4 hrs a day) to study and pass the Sec+ using nothing but Darril's book and I still retained the info. The way I study helps me retain info pretty well.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • iSpaZZZiSpaZZZ Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jahsoul wrote: »
    It's possible. It took me four days (3-4 hrs a day) to study and pass the Sec+ using nothing but Darril's book and I still retained the info. The way I study helps me retain info pretty well.

That's good going, care to mention some of your techniques?? icon_wink.gif
    [40%] CCNA
    [10%] MCSA / MCITP:SA < WHICH one?
    [2%] RHCE < what I WANT to do!
  • PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    iSpaZZZ wrote: »
    That's good going, care to mention some of your techniques?? icon_wink.gif

Yeah, I'd also be interested in some of the stuff you do/use to retain information.
    Ok, well so much for "one week" that came and went!

Plan B is in the works now, as I just finished the Gibson Book... I haven't taken either of the books assessment test or practice test yet. I did however after reading the book, front to back, jump on CompTIA's website and take the 30 question practice exam. I was a bit bummed when I found out I only hit 70% (21/30), but I only read through everything once and didn't go back and study any so ...

Off the CompTIA practice test results

Systems Security 100%
    Network Infrastructure 100%
    Access Control 80%
    Assessments & Audits 60%
    Cryptography 20%
    Organizational Security 60%

I found the questions on CompTIA site to be more difficult than the ones in Darrils book, which I have scored no less than 80% and pushed 90+% on most of the end of chapter tests.

Probably gonna book the test for next week, and study up on the weaker points above, mainly cryptography. I also just printed out the objectives to check off what I need to focus on.

Any other thoughts?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok, well so much for "one week" that came and went!

Plan B is in the works now, as I just finished the Gibson Book... I haven't taken either of the books assessment test or practice test yet. I did however after reading the book, front to back, jump on CompTIA's website and take the 30 question practice exam. I was a bit bummed when I found out I only hit 70% (21/30), but I only read through everything once and didn't go back and study any so ...

Off the CompTIA practice test results

Systems Security 100%
    Network Infrastructure 100%
    Access Control 80%
    Assessments & Audits 60%
    Cryptography 20%
    Organizational Security 60%

I found the questions on CompTIA site to be more difficult than the ones in Darrils book, which I have scored no less than 80% and pushed 90+% on most of the end of chapter tests.

Probably gonna book the test for next week, and study up on the weaker points above, mainly cryptography. I also just printed out the objectives to check off what I need to focus on.

Any other thoughts?

Read up on cryptography, study it, and work through the end of the chapter exam. What helped me with crypto was flashcarding cryptography through Transcenders. I think crypto is what gets everyone nervous (including myself before I took the exam). Once you conquer crypto, you'll be fine for everything else.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    You're not all that far off, I'd say hitting the areas you were weak, especially cryptography, and then doing some review of all the topics should put you in that 90%+ territory. Re-read those chapters in the book, check out some other resources, and try looking up topics you're unsure of on sites like Wikipedia for further reading. Nothing says you have to stick 100% to the prescribed study guide and Wikipedia is bound to lead you to pretty in-depth reading if you follow the references and links to more detailed articles.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Just bought my voucher gonna schedule it for next week! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Just bought my voucher gonna schedule it for next week! icon_study.gif

And ... we're booked for 10/13 at noontime! icon_study.gif

... been up all night reading over the objectives and relative material while hacking out a study guide!
    WIP:

Future Certs: