Options

Cant issue Break command

mullivar1mullivar1 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
i purchased a 1700 series router off ebay, but it's been setup with tacacs authentication. so i just get the username password situation when i try to login. i have asked the seller for a password to use, but seller wasn't the old user and does not know.

So i believe i need to restart the router, issue the break command and i'll be put into rommon mode where i can by pass the start-up config file and get onto the router and create a new config file. so simple in theory.

I'm having trouble issuing the break command. I am using teraterm and have restarted the router and then clicked alt - b every few seconds for a minute but the router just boots as normal. i went to control and ->send break. but still the same. router just boots as normal. i've tried ctrl-b , alt-ctrl-b. i tried it using putty... still nothing works.

i have tried holding down the space bar for 15 seconds after power on. this put the router into some kind of mode. it looked hopefully, but neither putty or terterm would connect to the router after this. the yellow ok light kept flashing like it does when the IOS is loading.

Any ideas for me ??

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you using a USB->Serial adapter or an actual old school serial port? Some USB->Serial adapters had issues with sending the break sequence. If that's the case, either try a different USB->Serial adapter or find a computer (or old laptop) with a built in serial port.

You could always try different terminal software. I think ctrl-break worked for me in the old free hyperterminal -- but I always had a good working USB->Serial adapter or laptop with a normal serial port.

Another possibility is that the no service password-recovery command was issued.... but you can still get into the router, you just lose the existing configuration. The CTRL-Break sequence (rather than just the break sequence) should work for that -- but you should see the message when you boot (https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-2407)..... so I'm going with bad USB->Serial Adapter. Final Answer. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    i am using a usb - serial adapter --- sounds like a good theory to me....

thanks for your help
  • Options
    What terminal software are you using?

I've had issues sending break with tera term and some other one. Just use MS Hyperterminal.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    mullivar1 wrote: »
    i purchased a 1700 series router off ebay, but it's been setup with tacacs authentication. so i just get the username password situation when i try to login. i have asked the seller for a password to use, but seller wasn't the old user and does not know.

So i believe i need to restart the router, issue the break command and i'll be put into rommon mode where i can by pass the start-up config file and get onto the router and create a new config file. so simple in theory.

I'm having trouble issuing the break command. I am using teraterm and have restarted the router and then clicked alt - b every few seconds for a minute but the router just boots as normal. i went to control and ->send break. but still the same. router just boots as normal. i've tried ctrl-b , alt-ctrl-b. i tried it using putty... still nothing works.

i have tried holding down the space bar for 15 seconds after power on. this put the router into some kind of mode. it looked hopefully, but neither putty or terterm would connect to the router after this. the yellow ok light kept flashing like it does when the IOS is loading.

Any ideas for me ??
    In TeraTerm the break is ALT+B.

Maybe the last person who used the router disabled the break. If I remember it right it has something to do with the config registry value.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    thehourman wrote: »
    In TeraTerm the break is ALT+B.

Maybe the last person who used the router disabled the break. If I remember it right it has something to do with the config registry value.

try issuing the break using the menu bar... that always works for me. it's a shame that some sellers don't reset the system to factory default prior to selling their stuff. although, i do enjoy looking at previous configs from time to time :)
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    try issuing the break using the menu bar... that always works for me. it's a shame that some sellers don't reset the system to factory default prior to selling their stuff. although, i do enjoy looking at previous configs from time to time :)

Tell me about it. I had a few switches that where still configured for Oracle's network once.
  • Options
    Menu bar has been tried and failed. Just downloaded ms hyperterminal and it had the same issue.- nothing... so giving up on that side of it.

i am guess it is the usb - serial adpater i am using that is the problem . onnly 1 way to test it. i am going to try a more expensive one and see if that works. dont have a laptop with a serial interface. and would like to get it working with my existing laptop.

thanks