Options

Final Preparation

JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
For those of you that have done the CCENT what did you find as the best method for final preparation and learning where you are weak?

I have read through the entire CCENT book, watched the cbtnuggets video series, and done all the 161 questions that come with the CCENT book so much that I have them memorized. I have also practiced subnetting on multiple sites offering random questions and I have it down pretty well. Right now I'm working through the simulator that comes with the CCENT book just to get some repetition with using the IOS commands.

So is there anything else I should look at for making sure I have the material covered?

Comments

• Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you done the practice questions on Cisco's Learning Network? I recently used them for the CCNA and they are pretty good. Cisco breaks the questions out into ICND1 and 2.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1?tab=3

Go through the exam tutorial if you haven't already - it's on the same page as the questions.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    Have you done the practice questions on Cisco's Learning Network? I recently used them for the CCNA and they are pretty good. Cisco breaks the questions out into ICND1 and 2.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna/icnd1?tab=3

Go through the exam tutorial if you haven't already - it's on the same page as the questions.

Thank you for pointing out those review questions. They are helpful, but I find the wording and semantics to be more of a challenge then the actual material and so do many of the people who have left comments.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I didn't have the answers to all the practice exams memorized, so this may not help you TOO much, but I kept taking the practice exam every 2-3 days right up until the real exam, and even when I ran into a question that I KNEW the answer to from seeing it before and remembering, I forced myself to work through the problem, and if I didn't come up with the answer I remembered was correct, I still marked what I came up with. That way I got an honest score still, and got that 'why I was wrong' explanation it gives. It also kept me in the 'exam taking' frame of mind.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just kept reading and reading until the day of the test. I read the ccent exam cram every day on the week of the test. I practiced writing down a subnetting reference sheet. But it is funny because I didn't even use the subnetting reference sheet I memorized when I took the ccent exam.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just kept reading on the areas that I did bad on. I spent about a month on it.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    bermovick wrote: »
    It also kept me in the 'exam taking' frame of mind.

A lot of people say your wasting your time if you've memorised the questions, but I think staying in the 'exam taking' frame of mind is also very useful, even if you know some of the answers.
  • Options
    vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jackace wrote: »
    Thank you for pointing out those review questions. They are helpful, but I find the wording and semantics to be more of a challenge then the actual material and so do many of the people who have left comments.

Welcome to Cisco test taking :)

Cisco likes to get very wordy and creative with their questions. I have a feeling if you take a poll of people on the board here, they will tell you that half the battle on a Cisco exam is understanding the material the way Cisco sees it. They have a tendency to be a bit quirky sometimes and the review questions on Cisco's site help to get you in the "Cisco" frame of mind. Having said that, you do have to be aware that with all practice questions, there will sometimes be mistakes...goes with the territory. When in doubt...ask :)
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    you do have to be aware that with all practice questions, there will sometimes be mistakes...goes with the territory. When in doubt...ask :)

I agree, I've found a few errors on the Boson exams. There are also quite a lot of errors in some of the books as well (eg Cisco Press), so you need to make sure to go to the web site from time to time to download the updates.
  • Options
    erfolg255erfolg255 Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My exam in one month time, I'm just gonna read everything from my notes, and pray ....;)

Currently Studying : CCNA