Options

GPOs

2»

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Whether the box has the same IP as production shouldn't matter since you're doing this in a sandbox environment ;)
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Whether the box has the same IP as production shouldn't matter since you're doing this in a sandbox environment ;)

True. What sucks now is now my boss wants me to "work with" the other guy to get this fixed. That basically means that I am going to do a few days/weeks of research, set up a solution, test it, and then present it to them both only for her to go with his opinion on it icon_sad.gif Oh well.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That will only be the case if you can't build your own case to be more powerful. Build out your lab environment, prove functionality, and present a roadmap for quick implementation. If you go into your meeting and say "this is how I've labbed it using production data, this is the plan to roll it out, and this is how we'll support it" it becomes difficult for the other party to get an opinion in.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I didn't read the whole thread but is it really necessary for you to create a vm subnet? Why not just create test OU's, test users, and test gpo's. This way you know the same dc is providing the gpo's for your production environment. This is the method I use and it never causes a problem.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Good luck on this one, I feel your pain, similar situation on my end. I hate politics, it would be nice if people could just learn to work together as a team and let the petty egos be left out. The best advice I can give you is to be honest and up front with your co worker, at least that would close the door on "back stabbing" accusations, plus, it is your bosses decision. As Paul said, screw him if he acts stupid. Your boss obviously sees your potential.

What about creating the VM's, and import the backed up system state (prod DC's) to the new server lab? You could back up your all scopes as well. I posted in one of the MCSE threads with links to webcasts for GPO's from MS. I think there are a total of 18 .zip files, PM me and I can get them to you. They are in depth (read: put you to sleep if you watch too many in a row, lol), the only down side to them is that 2008 isn't covered. That might at least give you a better idea of GPO's and in case your co worker starts firing back, you can have your ducks in a row.

The other issue is that it can be hard to emulate all the possible issues with software that may be in use on your production environment. ERP, 3rd party softwares, CA's. What about using RSOP in the meantime? Phoeneous also had a good idea too, I have done that in the past.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    PM sent.

I am not sure about RSOP. I had to do some googling just to figure out what they were lol. icon_redface.gif

I am hell bent on setting up a test domain on my ESXI box come monday.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Replied. The total amount of files I have from MS webcasts on GPO's are about 185 mg in .zip format. I sent one to you, also replied to your PM. Once one goes through, I can sent the others, or if someone here wants to host them, I can get them to that person.

I have watched about 1/3 of them, some are old, but IMO, every little bit helps. Some are no longer available from the Technet website.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!