Options

Mastering Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2: Review

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I;m not worried about what's in shops yet but what is on that dang exam.
    Got to pass that thing this time.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    This is in reference to the unleashed book. I read the IIS chapter at work last night but had to reread it today. Really best to read if you have your lab available to you. This book is excellent in it's explanations but you need to have IIS active in front of you and follow along with the book for it to do you much good. I especially like that it covers upgrading from previous versions of sharepoint and explains what is done and how you would do the upgrade in a "real world situation"
    Reading the Sharepoint and media services chapters later today. From what I've seen of this book reading it without being able to simultaneously lab it will leave you unfulfilled and lacking the knowledge the book is trying to give you.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Just finished the sharepoint chapter. The whole book seems to be very lab centric. You should have the application open in front of you to follow along with if you wish to get anything our of the book. This chapter, for the most part, has sparked a real interest in further studying Sharepoint.
    Kind of disappointing that I don't have access to the FULL version of Sharepoint. I'm just labbing with WSS 3.0 but will repeat with Foundations 2010 later to see if there are any significant differences.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    earweed wrote: »
    Just finished the sharepoint chapter. The whole book seems to be very lab centric. You should have the application open in front of you to follow along with if you wish to get anything our of the book. This chapter, for the most part, has sparked a real interest in further studying Sharepoint.
    Kind of disappointing that I don't have access to the FULL version of Sharepoint. I'm just labbing with WSS 3.0 but will repeat with Foundations 2010 later to see if there are any significant differences.

For SharePoint 2010 study I'm using Technet for technical resources, there is a huge amount of stuff there including tons of video's which use the full version of SharePoint. I have access to the full version of SP 2010 via my Technet subscription (it's worth its weight in gold when studying MS exams).

I have the full version of SP 2010 installed on a VM but haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet as I'm tangled up in studying RDS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    LCA wrote: »
    For SharePoint 2010 study I'm using Technet for technical resources, there is a huge amount of stuff there including tons of video's which use the full version of SharePoint. I have access to the full version of SP 2010 via my Technet subscription (it's worth its weight in gold when studying MS exams).

I have the full version of SP 2010 installed on a VM but haven't really had a chance to have a good look at it yet as I'm tangled up in studying RDS.
    The test covers Sharepoint Foundations 2010 so make sue you lab that. The full version of Sharepoint contains a lot of new features that the "free" version (the one you get with Server 2008 R2) doesn't have. The unleashed book spends a lot of time talking about the full version of Sharepoint 2007.
  • Options
    In the media services chapter of the unleashed book you'll find a wealth of info. I recommend still reading the lesson in the MS Self Paced Training kit to go along with this. The unleashed book goes way deeper than you will need to know it for the exam.
    Media services are explained well and thoroughly. Especially if you plan to use it in a work environment. Skip the section on Windows media encoder though as it has been retired and replaced with the free version of expression encoder 4. It works basically the same but unlike Windows Media encoder it works with windows 7 and Server 2008 R2.
  • Options
    Didn't notice a lot of significant changes between the versions (3.0 and Foundations 2010)
    Back to the book...It does a good job of showing you how to work between Sharepoint and the different office products (Office 2007 Word, Excel, and Access) It will work with earlier office products but not as well and needs to be tested before being implemented in a production environment.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff607713.aspx Explains changes from 3.0 to Foundations 2010
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Well, I am almost through the Server Core chapter in the Mastering R2 book. There was a lot of interesting stuff in the previous chapter (Installing Server R2). This book is an absolute gold mine. I am learning all sorts of things already that I probably would have never picked up before. I love the use of command line examples in the book especially. PoSh is something that I have wanted to pick up but I keep saying after I finish this and after I finish that. The inclusion of the PoSh cmdlets gets me all giddy inside and I immediately try all of them out. The imaging portion of Ch. 2 is a pretty good introduction to some of the imaging solutions on the Win7 test so that might be something good for you guys to look into. I would say that chapter + some of the TechNet resources would be an upgrade from the MSPress book's imaging chapter.

I really love the idea of Server Core and I have vowed to set it up before I finish studying for my first 2008 exam. I think this is essential to the noobie admin who wants to figure out the inter-workings of the Server OS in general. I don't want to be the latte sipping admin as described in the book icon_wink.gif or sexy Chad for that matter. I may have to edit this post after I finish up the chapter if I come across anything I think is worth mentioning here.

I must say, anyone who is looking to learn about Server 2008 NEEDS to pick up this book. I am only 3 chapters in and I have learned a ton. I know that I am not going to be disappointed with the rest of this book also. In addition to all that, this book is going to serve as a reference for me for quite some time. The stuff in here is absolutely foundational, if you don't know much about the Server OS they break it down very well. Nonetheless, I probably will get a little bit of reading in today at work and then tonight and tomorrow will be crammed so I won't get to look at this book.

per Earweed's request.
  • Options
    dwadwa Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    which book you recommended for 70-643 and 70-647,as i see in the exams are added materials from R2 server icon_rolleyes.gif,i already have MCITP:SA pls for help.
  • Options
    Out of the Mastering and the unleashed I think the unleashed is more complete. As with any other exam don't use just one source. The MS Press books are still good for the exams and then you could use the unleashed for the added R2 material.
  • Options
    Any reason why? Does it cover more material than the Mastering book? Is it written better? Just curious as to why you've come to this conclusion.
  • Options
    There are a few things that the unleashed book cover better IMO. For instance the 643 test covers media services and the mastering book completely skipped that objective portion. The basic layout of the book is different and just seems to me to be more complete. Either book would be sufficient but having read portions of both I am leaning towards preferring the Unleashed book.
  • Options
    where i can find blueprint of 70-643 and 70-647 exams ?
  • Options
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Pro: Windows Server 2008, Enterprise Administrator

TS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring

I'm not sure if this is what you mean but those are the skills measured of each exam.

i want to compare the books,from which book which chapter to read for R2,dosent matter i will go with those books from microsoft and this unleashed + cbt nuggets.
  • Options
    For the 643 the unleashed chapters 2,3,12,25,35,36,37 should do you. For the 647 pretty much the whole book.
  • Options
    just another one question :D

some advices for lab,like 2xdc servers,1xweb server,1xterminal services server... icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    That's a harder question than the others as I have gone through so many configurations it's hard to put a number on any one role or service. I've done my labs using 5 VM's and they have had all kinds of different configurations. I just start each new chapter with 1 DC and 4 member servers with no roles installed. Most chapters only actually require using 2 or 3 VMs at a time though.
  • Options
    That's a harder question than the others as I have gone through so many configurations it's hard to put a number on any one role or service. I've done my labs using 5 VM's and they have had all kinds of different configurations. I just start each new chapter with 1 DC and 4 member servers with no roles installed. Most chapters only actually require using 2 or 3 VMs at a time though.

ok thank you icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does this book come with a PDF version like the MS Press Training books and are there Labs in it?

From looking at the Amazon site I take it this is more reference book than study guide?

I use a Kindle to read most of the MS Press book, I find holding a 1000 page book a hassle, the Kindle makes it easier to just pick up and read. I see there is a Kindle edition but its format isn't as nice as a PDF.

Also while I'm studying I like to have the PDF open on one monitor while I type notes on the second.
  • Options
    There's no PDF with the Mastering or the Unleashed book.
    They are indeed more reference than study guide but either book will really help you to learn the new features of R2. Having taken the 70-643 more than once I know there are R2 specific questions and they aren't beta anymore.
    The Mastering book is over 1400 pages and the unleashed is over 1600 pages so they are quite bulky. If you buy them on kindle can't you install them on your kindle AND a PC?
  • Options
    marcelsmarcels Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you buy them on kindle can't you install them on your kindle AND a PC?

Yes you can, but the layout is not that great. I think I'll just get the book and alter my study habits to suit.
  • Options
    I'm finding that the unleashed book is much better than the mastering. It has more info, better explanations and lends itself better to your labbing along with the book.
    It is quite hefty though.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    I'm finding that the unleashed book is much better than the mastering. It has more info, better explanations and lends itself better to your labbing along with the book.
    It is quite hefty though.

thanks for making this thread. im a total noob when it comes to server 2008. i want an all-in-one book that i can learn and lab from. ill consider getting unleashed over mastering.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I just got through taking and passing the 70-649 exam and I use the Unleashed book extensively. I also use the Microsoft web site to fill in more detail on some of the subjects where I needed more information. I especially wanted to learn more about Remote Desktop (new name for Terminal Services), DirectAccess and BranchCache. These seemed to be areas that needed more coverage than the unleashed book gave. But overall the unleashed book was excellent and it is a great reference book - but at around 1600 pages it better be a good reference...
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    I have both books because they bought them in my job. I was going to pick only one and that was the Unleashed, based exclusively on amazon.com reviews. The MAstering Server 2k8 R2 seems a veru good book but people are absolutely loving the Unleashed.

I am reading the MS Press training kit and then the Sybex book. I think I will stick to the Sybex and the Unleashed and then the training kit for the labs :)... I am preparing for both70-640 and 70-642.

When making a decision about a book, amazon.com reviews have proven to be a tremendous source of valuable iinformation. It saves a lot of time and frustration. It is easy to spot the really good info and discard the bad one to make a decision.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    BalantineBalantine Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I will pick up the unleashed book soon; I haven't read it. But personally I think the Mastering one is chock-full of humor... Minasi is like, "After you get done setting up AD then it is time to turn to group policies and some payback..." icon_cheers.gif
    dulce bellum inexpertis
  • Options
    AlexMR wrote: »
    I have both books because they bought them in my job. I was going to pick only one and that was the Unleashed, based exclusively on amazon.com reviews. The MAstering Server 2k8 R2 seems a veru good book but people are absolutely loving the Unleashed.

I am reading the MS Press training kit and then the Sybex book. I think I will stick to the Sybex and the Unleashed and then the training kit for the labs :)... I am preparing for both70-640 and 70-642.

When making a decision about a book, amazon.com reviews have proven to be a tremendous source of valuable iinformation. It saves a lot of time and frustration. It is easy to spot the really good info and discard the bad one to make a decision.
    I've found the unleashed book to be the better of the 2. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to schedule the 647. I'm preparing to move in the next few weeks so it'll have to wait until after that. I'm basically reviewing now and looking at different reources.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    The two books mentioned in this thread ('Mastering' and 'Unleashed') are decent books and generally both are well written and are useful tools for studying 647 but neither goes far enough to be able to pass the exam. That is because neither text covers much at all about how Server 2008 interacts with other technologies. Both books would be fine for doing quick refresh of topics but aren't suitable for serious learning of 647 topics to exam standard.

Unless one has a lot of experience IRL of large networks the best sources to get serious at passing 647 are:
    • Technet where there is a lot of hardcore material for those who dig for it, and some of the key stuff is buried in the Server 2003 documentation especially the documents on stuff like planning and deploying PKI infrastructure in large enterprises.
    • The Windows Server 2008 Reskits which should be compulsory reading for 647. Yes that is a lot of reading but much of it is indispensible. The new RDS reskit is now out which is excellent.
    Anyway back to SQL Server 70-432 study.......

icon_study.gif
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    hackmerhackmer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LCA wrote: »
    The two books mentioned in this thread ('Mastering' and 'Unleashed') are decent books and generally both are well written and are useful tools for studying 647 but neither goes far enough to be able to pass the exam. That is because neither text covers much at all about how Server 2008 interacts with other technologies. Both books would be fine for doing quick refresh of topics but aren't suitable for serious learning of 647 topics to exam standard.

Unless one has a lot of experience IRL of large networks the best sources to get serious at passing 647 are:
    • Technet where there is a lot of hardcore material for those who dig for it, and some of the key stuff is buried in the Server 2003 documentation especially the documents on stuff like planning and deploying PKI infrastructure in large enterprises.
    • The Windows Server 2008 Reskits which should be compulsory reading for 647. Yes that is a lot of reading but much of it is indispensible. The new RDS reskit is now out which is excellent.
    Anyway back to SQL Server 70-432 study.......

icon_study.gif
    I completely agree with you. I think that only resource kits and MS study guides can give a chance to pass exams.
    Also it is necessary to use technet.
    This summer my turn will come also to pass this exam(647)
    Back to IIS 7.0 Resource Kit(by Mike Volodarsky)icon_study.gif