Options

Well...I bombed it...

SliznutSliznut Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going to WGU. I had to take my CCNA today. To give you some background, I had to start my course about 3 weeks late because nobody mentioned I had to buy books. I have two kids, stay at home mom, and too many bills...lol. So I finally got the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 books along with Odom's simulator software. Since I got the ebooks, I have no access to the Boson exams they say you need to take. Which they also failed to inform me about when I got the ebooks. My first 6 month term is up at the end of this month so I had to take it now. Enough complaining.

I bombed. I'm not even through the second book yet. I got 592 on the exam. I've never failed a test in my life. This freaking hurts. Now I have a no pass for this class and they gave me the option of putting it as my first course in my new block, or getting Security+ done, then going back to CCNA. What do you guys think I should do here? I'm really lost.

Comments

• Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Sliznut wrote: »
    I'm going to WGU. I had to take my CCNA today. To give you some background, I had to start my course about 3 weeks late because nobody mentioned I had to buy books. I have two kids, stay at home mom, and too many bills...lol. So I finally got the Cisco Press ICND1 and ICND2 books along with Odom's simulator software. Since I got the ebooks, I have no access to the Boson exams they say you need to take. Which they also failed to inform me about when I got the ebooks. My first 6 month term is up at the end of this month so I had to take it now. Enough complaining.

I bombed. I'm not even through the second book yet. I got 592 on the exam. I've never failed a test in my life. This freaking hurts. Now I have a no pass for this class and they gave me the option of putting it as my first course in my new block, or getting Security+ done, then going back to CCNA. What do you guys think I should do here? I'm really lost.

How do you like WGU, how long have you been attending? I was thinking of switching from East Tenn State to WGU to speed up my "degreeification".
  • Options
    I like the concept and all the certs tied into the degree. I DO NOT like the disorganized situation I'm in right now though. It seems like if you have a question you get bounced to a few different places before you get an answer. Just like the Boson practice exams...it took me about a week before they figured out that I couldn't do it EVEN THOUGH their own website says the ebooks are ok.
  • Options
    Sorry..I forgot to answer the first part. This is the end of my first 6 month block. I got the CIW Associate cert and did a leadership class along with their stupid entry level class about how to use their site. And for some reason they scheduled my freaking CCNA in my first block because "you have experience". I have an associates in IT and the A+ and MCDST+. NONE of that equates to anything to do with Cisco.
  • Options
    And FYI...I have been stressing on converting decimal to binary and subnetting because I saw people saying that was so crucial to the CCNA. I literally had about 4-5 questions out of 50 involving that. I have never even come close to running out of time on a vendor exam and I did on this one. I had to jump through some stuff just guessing because I was down to about 5 minutes left. CCNA should be its own degree! lol
  • Options
    How do you like WGU, how long have you been attending? I was thinking of switching from East Tenn State to WGU to speed up my "degreeification".

By the way..when you say East Tenn State...are you talking about a brick and mortar school or are you doing an online thing? I got my AA through University of Phoenix and my other certs online through work and TechSkills. I will tell you that I was seriously jealous of the people I saw today. I had to take the exam at a little tech school in downtown Phoenix. They have live classes with REAL LIFE instructors! lol I was walking around killing time before the exam and just thinking about how much I would LOVE to have someone face-to-face I could talk to while going through the CCNA. Although, the CCNA is known for being extremely difficult so maybe I'm just stressing. I've never had a problem with online classes before.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Most mentors are better at helping you pick your classes than what you just had. Don't feel bad about failing that test just get back up and do your best at what youhave ahead of you.
    As for doing the Sec+ get the book by Darril Gibson and you can pass that test easy.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What do you mean when you say couldn't take the Boson exams - they say you are not allowed to, or for technical reasons, you can't access them?

I *think* what you are saying is that they will not let you have access to the ebooks and the Boson stuff at the same time? Is that right?
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    By the way..when you say East Tenn State...are you talking about a brick and mortar school or are you doing an online thing? I got my AA through University of Phoenix and my other certs online through work and TechSkills. I will tell you that I was seriously jealous of the people I saw today. I had to take the exam at a little tech school in downtown Phoenix. They have live classes with REAL LIFE instructors! lol I was walking around killing time before the exam and just thinking about how much I would LOVE to have someone face-to-face I could talk to while going through the CCNA. Although, the CCNA is known for being extremely difficult so maybe I'm just stressing. I've never had a problem with online classes before.

Yes its a 100 year old brick and mortar school. It doesn't really provide that much education, most of the teachers are grad students. I have been studying for the CCNA on the side.

Is the WGU program easy to follow? How much homework per class is their?
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Is there a reason to rush things?

My inclination is retake the CCNA course. Since you're already in the middle of the texts, it would make sense to continue rather than to start from the beginning further down the line after changing gears to Sec+.

As for the rest, there seems to be a lot of blame placed on others for the fail. If things start to go sideways, straighten it out. If you need books right away, Amazon can overnight it. If you need the Boson exams, check to see if they're included before parting with your money. If you don't know what you need and it's that important, ask twice.
  • Options
    It's all online and you don't really have homework. The IT classes (except the last couple which require you to write papers) are just studying for and passing cert exams. The gen ed classes, from what I hear, are pretty easy, too.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Most mentors are better at helping you pick your classes than what you just had. Don't feel bad about failing that test just get back up and do your best at what youhave ahead of you.
    As for doing the Sec+ get the book by Darril Gibson and you can pass that test easy.

So I'm pretty techy to begin with. I know and use Windows, Mac, Linux, and understand securing all of the above along with the basics on servers and networks. Do you have any Cisco experience? I'm just trying to figure out if it's worthwhile to say forget the CCNA for the time and get Security+ before the end of the year and then back to CCNA.
  • Options
    Yes its a 100 year old brick and mortar school. It doesn't really provide that much education, most of the teachers are grad students. I have been studying for the CCNA on the side.

Well, so far it's been easy to follow just not a lot of specific info. I kind of feel like I'm being told "here do this" and going off on my own. I normally have no issue with that. I think it may just be that the CCNA is known as a pain in the first place. And yeah..the writing/leadership classes are a joke. You submit your essay and if they don't like it they send it back to you saying "do this". You re-submit it and you pass. I'm not sure where that theory came from. I do LOVE the fact that they tied all these certifications into the degree though. It makes a lot more sense. I mean you can BS your way through most classes, but you can't BS your way through vendor exams.
  • Options
    Just got my Cisco books last week and I've configured exactly one switch and one router and that was done using google mostly. Your best bet right now would be to do Sec+ get a copy of Darril Gibsons book "Get Certified Get Ahead" and you should have no problem with it. The CCNA takes a lot of studying and hands on to pass it.
  • Options
    Is there a reason to rush things?

My inclination is retake the CCNA course. Since you're already in the middle of the texts, it would make sense to continue rather than to start from the beginning further down the line after changing gears to Sec+.

As for the rest, there seems to be a lot of blame placed on others for the fail. If things start to go sideways, straighten it out. If you need books right away, Amazon can overnight it. If you need the Boson exams, check to see if they're included before parting with your money. If you don't know what you need and it's that important, ask twice.

Sorry if it came across that way. I'm just very unhappy with the communication at the school right now. The blame initially was on me. I didn't look ahead and see that I had to buy books. I've never had to. All through school and work-paid certs before, the books were included. I just didn't think about it. I didn't have the $ to get em at first, so I blamed that on myself. BUT, the school's site even says the ebooks are okay and to "talk to your mentor if you have questions". I told them I was getting those and they said nothing. Until it came time for the Boson exams. Then they couldn't figure out why I wasn't doing it. I explained the ebooks even say to use the CD in your book...obviously not available. My mentor told me to contact the course mentor. The course mentor told me to contact Cisco. I did that twice and never got any response. Then my school finally said I didn't have access since I got the ebooks.

Point is, I don't typically point fingers. This is seriously making me debate leaving this school though. I'm following their direction which basically sucks. And as I said, I've never failed a test in my life. I'm aware the CCNA is difficult and understand that. But here I am with a deadline and little to no help. I've already wasted money. I do think you're right though. I don't see the sense in switching tracks and coming back.
  • Options
    Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Sounds like a $hitty situation (pun intended). I'd be surprised if you didn't nail the CCNA the next time now that you know what's going on. Good luck to you.
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    Sorry..I forgot to answer the first part. This is the end of my first 6 month block. I got the CIW Associate cert and did a leadership class along with their stupid entry level class about how to use their site. And for some reason they scheduled my freaking CCNA in my first block because "you have experience". I have an associates in IT and the A+ and MCDST+. NONE of that equates to anything to do with Cisco.

So how much time did you have exactly to study for the CCNA? I'm guessing with the hectic personal life and the first two courses, you had about 3-4 months of study time. That wouldn't be nearly enough time for me to pass the CCNA (let alone the CCENT :)). Still, I think that's a decent score due to the circumstances.

Anyway at WGU you have the final say whether to approve which courses you will take for each term. Some courses are just too hairy to cram into the tail-end of the term, so if you aren't confident with the material just schedule it for a later term before taking the plunge next time - it's not like they'll blacklist you for doing that or something.
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953

The situation is that CompTIA has announced a policy change that CompTIA certifications earned after December 2010 will be expiring. Cisco certifications have always expired eventually. So from a certification expiration perspective, see if you can earn the Security+. The traditional track to Security+ is like A+ -> Network+ -> Security+. If you earn the A+ and/or Network+ along the way before December 2010, they'll never expire too.

As far as the score of 592, think of it as a partially full glass of water. You at least knew 592 worth. Just need to keep going. How about trying for the 640-822 ICND1 certification exam instead which is roughly half of the material of the full 640-802 CCNA certification exam?
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »
    So how much time did you have exactly to study for the CCNA? I'm guessing with the hectic personal life and the first two courses, you had about 3-4 months of study time. That wouldn't be nearly enough time for me to pass the CCNA (let alone the CCENT :)). Still, I think that's a decent score due to the circumstances.

Anyway at WGU you have the final say whether to approve which courses you will take for each term. Some courses are just too hairy to cram into the tail-end of the term, so if you aren't confident with the material just schedule it for a later term before taking the plunge next time - it's not like they'll blacklist you for doing that or something.

More like 5 weeks. It was a fail from the rip. Pun intended. lol. Yeah, I'm thinking run it into this new block and have more time. The girl that printed out my result said 592 wasn't bad considering I came into it saying I wasn't ready. I just didn't know if she was being nice or if she was being truthful.
  • Options
    The situation is that CompTIA has announced a policy change that CompTIA certifications earned after December 2010 will be expiring. Cisco certifications have always expired eventually. So from a certification expiration perspective, see if you can earn the Security+. The traditional track to Security+ is like A+ -> Network+ -> Security+. If you earn the A+ and/or Network+ along the way before December 2010, they'll never expire too.

As far as the score of 592, think of it as a partially full glass of water. You at least knew 592 worth. Just need to keep going. How about trying for the 640-822 ICND1 certification exam instead which is roughly half of the material of the full 640-802 CCNA certification exam?

Thanks for the feedback. You mean the CCENT right? WGU doesn't allow that. It's CCNA or nothing. I meant to get the Security+ before the year is up anyway, but I'm really thinking I may be able to nail this and kill both before the year. Just wondering what others who have gone through it think. I hate the idea of stopping and doing Security+, then going back to CCNA but I don't know.
  • Options
    Sounds like a $hitty situation (pun intended). I'd be surprised if you didn't nail the CCNA the next time now that you know what's going on. Good luck to you.

Thank you sir! I realized my original post came off whiny...and I hate that. I'm just..well...whiny at this point. lol. I've never been totally lost in a class before.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    Just got my Cisco books last week and I've configured exactly one switch and one router and that was done using google mostly. Your best bet right now would be to do Sec+ get a copy of Darril Gibsons book "Get Certified Get Ahead" and you should have no problem with it. The CCNA takes a lot of studying and hands on to pass it.

And thank you for the book tips..some of these books are just about as fun to read as watching paint dry.
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    What do you mean when you say couldn't take the Boson exams - they say you are not allowed to, or for technical reasons, you can't access them?

I *think* what you are saying is that they will not let you have access to the ebooks and the Boson stuff at the same time? Is that right?

Technical/miscommunication ..There is a CD and a key included in the hard copy books. The ebooks don't include this. So I would basically have to buy the hard copy books and pay twice or jack the Boson content. The latter is more economically feasible. But then you don't know if you're getting the most current info or not (if you disregard the illegality of cracking). Not to mention it may not match up with the school's COS (class plan).
  • Options
    apena7 wrote: »

You're in Orange. By any chance are you with a girl named Cassie? We may know each other.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It seems a lot of people like the practice questions that come with the Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Certification Guides (ICND1/ICND2) -- but there are other options since you only got the ebook version (and no CD)....

Boson supplies the test engine for the Cisco Press books, but the Authors come up with questions. Boson has their own practice exams for sale -- so you might take a look at their website (but when you see the price you might decide it's cheaper to just buy the paper copies of Wendell's books).

There is also the CCNA Flash Cards and Exam Practice Pack (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802), 3rd Edition available from Cisco Press for under $30 (with free shipping).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860

I got my Associate's from Phoenix online. I had a lot of credits from local schools already, so I wasn't there very long, but I really didn't feel like I learned anything from Phoenix and it felt like just a bunch of busy work. After I got laid off, I bailed on Phoenix and signed up for a Brick and Mortar locally. I love it there. Granted I don't have a job anymore, so it's way easier to focus on my studies, but I've got all A's there, whereas at Phoenix I was a B & C student. It just feels more real to me. But when I go back to work I may hit up WGU. Part of it for me was my own procrastination at Phoenix. Missing a class at the B&M seems like a major no no, but not logging on to Phoenix's website seemed like no big deal. I realize that's all in my own head, but that's how it was for me.

added bonus: my current school has a top notch culinary arts program, so the lunchroom is always full of amazing food
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like the concept and all the certs tied into the degree. I DO NOT like the disorganized situation I'm in right now though. It seems like if you have a question you get bounced to a few different places before you get an answer. Just like the Boson practice exams...it took me about a week before they figured out that I couldn't do it EVEN THOUGH their own website says the ebooks are ok.

Remember to use the course study on each course. It states what you need and how to get it. Also make sure to talk to the course mentors in the community as well call there. I have had all my questions answer. I do not think they are disorganized and everything is describe to you in EWB course.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Also yes learn your subnetting because you will need to know it on the CCNA. Trust me those 4 or 5 questions were about how many host or networks but the rest of the exam you are looking at alot of IP numbers and have to figure it out on those questions. I hope this is not breaking the NDA.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, you can get the CCNA Flash Cards app for $10, and I've seen it on sale for $5

I have the ROUTE set ($10) and they're pretty cool for the price.

Although you may want to wait until you are done at that school to go for it again. It can be done with self-study and hands on. If you go that route (no pun intended), you can do it by your own rules.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Any chance there is a network+ course in there? If so I'd take and pass that first before ccna. There is a lot of overlap with icnd1 and considering your ccna score you might be able to pass it with very little work. Plus as has been said before its a lifetime cert if you get it before then end of the year.
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It seems a lot of people like the practice questions that come with the Wendell Odom Cisco Press CCNA Certification Guides (ICND1/ICND2) -- but there are other options since you only got the ebook version (and no CD)....

Boson supplies the test engine for the Cisco Press books, but the Authors come up with questions. Boson has their own practice exams for sale -- so you might take a look at their website (but when you see the price you might decide it's cheaper to just buy the paper copies of Wendell's books).

There is also the CCNA Flash Cards and Exam Practice Pack (CCENT Exam 640-822 and CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802), 3rd Edition available from Cisco Press for under $30 (with free shipping).

I saw a kit that included those at Barnes and Noble. I am planning on getting those with my next check. Good call.