Cert path

hudsonmwhudsonmw Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Looking for thoughts about this cert path. I already have the 70-680 and A+ so i figured that I might as well put the A+ to a little more use and add Network+ to complete the elective requirement since Network+ will give me an extra title to put on my resume instead of just a normal elective exam. Or should I take an elective such as 70-284 instead of Network+ to gain that "specialized" MCSA Messaging on '03 title.

70-680 = MCTS
70-290
70-291
Network+/A+ = MCSA
70-293
70-294
70-297 = MCSE
70-647
70-649 = MCITP:EA

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks nice. What do you do for a living/what's your experience?

Net+ would set another vendor neutral foundation for the 290, and 291. You might want to do it first but its all a matter of preference.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Network + sounds like a good option
  • hudsonmwhudsonmw Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Looks nice. What do you do for a living/what's your experience?

Net+ would set another vendor neutral foundation for the 290, and 291. You might want to do it first but its all a matter of preference.

I have about 8 years of general I.T experience from working mostly at the university of florida. After I moved up from a student tech to full-time, I got some server responsibilities so I have some experience in server administration, but not as much as I'd like. I've done it all for the most part. Ran wire, setup & designed wireless networks with multiple APs, built computers, fixed them. But my area of improvement is defintely the design and implementation of the networks themselves.

So Net+ would help build up to 290 and 291? I didn't think about taking it first, but that would probably make the most sense if it would help me.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hudsonmw wrote: »
    I have about 8 years of general I.T experience from working mostly at the university of florida. After I moved up from a student tech to full-time, I got some server responsibilities so I have some experience in server administration, but not as much as I'd like. I've done it all for the most part. Ran wire, setup & designed wireless networks with multiple APs, built computers, fixed them. But my area of improvement is defintely the design and implementation of the networks themselves.

So Net+ would help build up to 290 and 291? I didn't think about taking it first, but that would probably make the most sense if it would help me.

I think the Net+ will benefit you more in the 291 department as that exam is straight up Windows Network Infrastructure. You have some network experience and the Net+ will only reinforce and broaden that knowledge base.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you plan on taking the 70-284 you better move it up as the exam retires March 31, 2011. Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certification Exam Development
    Also you should probably take the 2008 exams in the order 70-649 > 70-647.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    On someone's recommendation, I'm doing the MCSE core in this order: 290, 294, 291, 293. I've found this to be helpful since exam 294 builds on 290, and 293 builds on 291. Also, 294 is pretty much the most important exam since AD is the core of basically every Microsoft-based network, so I definitely don't want to save it for last. All of the exams have some AD, so it's good to get it done early.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV