Options

Laptop only boots with dvd in drive

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Weird issue with HP 4510s laptop. End user called to say he was getting a disk error message. Since he is 50 miles away, I walked him through going into the BIOs and run a HD test. Test says HD bad or cannot be found. Great, Im making a drive to his office.

As I was grabbing a new HD and laptop just in case, he calls back. Says when he puts in a dvd with movies in it, the computer works. Im like WTF? I pop up logmein, and sure enough there he is. You take the dvd out and reboot, and says HD can't be found.

BIOs passes the HD test only if a disc is in the drive, otherwise it says bad HD.

Anyone run across this one before?

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Never heard of this problem before.

I'd assume that something is badly broken with the SATA/PATA bus or the HDD/DVD inside the laptop.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've also never heard of this.

Out of curiosity, does it work with a CD?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Ill have him give it a try with a CD as well. Will let you know.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I can't say it was the exact same issue, but I did have this on a very old Pentium III system that would not boot w/o a CD in the drive. It was far too old fo rme to worry about, though. Have you tried resetting the BIOS to defaults?
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you ever investigate this?

Also, nice pic RK.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    I have calls back into the end user. We did reset back to factory defaults, had same issue. Havent heard back yet if he tried with a normal cd.