Microsoft Press eBooks Now Available in Kindle Store

Hundreds of Microsoft Press ebooks now available in the Kindle Store - Microsoft Press - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Depending on the price differences I may still buy the hardcover and read the PDF version on my DX, but it's nice to have options.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Hmm. Thats interesting. I'll have to have a look later. Nice that they're not DRM locked and in Mobi format.

Cisco Press books are on the Kindle store as well. You lose out on the freebies on the disc however as they don't include that. I'd expect the same to happen for Microsoft Press items.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats pretty cool.

Any idea on the price?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So far the only book I saw for the MCITP:EA on Kindle was for the 70-680.

Amazon.com: MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows- 7 eBook: Ian McLean, Orin Thomas: Kindle Store

The only other books I saw that was somewhat useful to me were the SQL Server ones (2005/2008 [did see a 2000 high availability one though...lmao]).
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I like the text-to-speech feature. It's enabled on the ones I have looked at. I listened to en entire book on SharePoint 2010 Administration while driving to and from work. There were times I had to go back and review a topic, but at least it wasn't wasted time!
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like the text-to-speech feature. It's enabled on the ones I have looked at. I listened to en entire book on SharePoint 2010 Administration while driving to and from work. There were times I had to go back and review a topic, but at least it wasn't wasted time!

But if you buy the real books, you get the pdf, and you can use text to speech with that too.

It looks like they are about $5 cheaper.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    But if you buy the real books, you get the pdf, and you can use text to speech with that too.

It looks like they are about $5 cheaper.

Untrue. At least on mine. Text-to-speech is not available on any PDF.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I only use text-to-speech on boring subjects like Statistics....the text books that I've bought (and read) I did not really need it. Though I do like Stephen Hawking reading to me though. Ha ha!
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Just bought nook today, I hope the format is supported and isn't Kindle- only. If not, as to what Devilsbane said, I'd buy them used in hardcopy format and keep my fingers crossed that they ship with the accompanying CD/DVD.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Download a copy of Calibre, great program and it is freeware. It will convert between all formats and pull the meta data and covers from the web if you don't have them. It is constantly updated with one or more new builds per month improving features and supporting more readers. The Nook is supported natively even secondary memory. I had a spare 8GB and pop it in after giving it a name ID. Nook does not seem to recognize it if you don't.

calibre - Download for Windows

Calibre also has a built in reader for all formats, making it more useful on your PC. I use it go get the news from back home. It downloads it automatically in time for morning coffee to read on my desktop or transfer to my Nook. Great app Windows, OSX, Linux.

O'reilly also offers ebooks in both Kindle and Nook/ipad format. O'reilly does a great job on them, I just picked up a couple of Juniper titles and am quite pleased with them on my Nook. O'reilly has been running 9.99 specials on several titles for the last month or so.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Kindle format is actually AZW which is Mobipocket format with a couple extra tags which aren't particularly important. If you can get the DRM off the file then it is simple to convert to regular Mobipocket.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is a good thing. I wish I had a DX for tech books since the illustrations kind of look crappy on my regular Kindle. But I use the Kindle app on my iPad so thats a good substitute.