Did ISC^2 update their policy in regards to CISSP Exam registration?

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I asked my boss about this, and he said he doesn’t know, maybe someone here knows? A new process at isc^2.

I'm about to register for my exam, but there is a new method on their website:

CISSP Associate of (ISC)2 Exam Registration
$549

$599

CISSP Exam Registration
$549

$599

They have two dual listings. I was under the assumption there is one examination, and the designation of full or associate is made only after a review with a sponsor, who then deems if you satisfy the domain requirements, and years of experience requirement.

I called customer service at isc^2, and they said that you chose either depending on if you have the experience or not before you register for the exam. So does this mean that the portion of consultation with an isc^2 sponsor that decides if you are an associate temporarily until full is unlocked(based on experience requirements) now occurs before the test, instead of after passing the test as it always has in the past? This seemed odd.....
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Same exam, same fees. $549 is for ISC(2) members and $599 is for nonmembers. The associate of ISC(2) is for those who want to take the exam but lack the required 5 years of experience in 3 or more domains of information security as recognized by ISC(2).
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    Same exam, same fees. $549 is for ISC(2) members and $599 is for nonmembers. The associate of ISC(2) is for those who want to take the exam but lack the required 5 years of experience in 3 or more domains of information security as recognized by ISC(2).

down77,

The designation of associate or full is supposed to be made with a sponsor after one takes the exam. In the past anyone was to take the exam (cissp exam), no discussion ever about an "associate exam"....

So what this sounds like is, we are supposed to consult before we take the exam to see if we meet experience requirements before we take the exam, then over time it'll conver to full?

This seems sort of weird.......if it changed that way.

I've always thought ISC^2 only offered one CISSP exam type to register for on the website, the regular "cissp exam".....ive never heard about an "associate exam".
    And my current boss says the same thing..so is ISC^2 indeed shifting the experience requirement consultation with a isc^2 sponsor before exam is taken?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the exam is the same for everyone is just which designation you get after is based on your experience and ability to meet the requirements. I believe you have six years after taking the CISSP as an associate to convert it to the full designation while maintaining the CPE requirements.

If I'm wrong let me know lol.
    I think the exam is the same for everyone is just which designation you get after is based on your experience and ability to meet the requirements. I believe you have six years after taking the CISSP as an associate to convert it to the full designation while maintaining the CPE requirements.

If I'm wrong let me know lol.

I need to find out.
    Because I have 7 years of experience, and at least 6 of those years I meet two of the 10 domain requirements....etc.

but, I cannot deem that myself? Doesnt that "assumption" have to be made by a isc^2 sponsor? or not?
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You should really know whether you meet the requirements or not.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    You should really know whether you meet the requirements or not.

Paul,

The point is that in the past, that isn't for the test taker to decide, that is for your "sponsor" to decide, that you are supposed to have lined up after you pass the examination. That's how I thought it has always worked, the sponsor decides your fate, meaning: he decides if you remain associate for X amount of time until you convert over to Full, and not for the test taker to decide before registering?
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm sure they still do the evaluation process for all candidates, but I think they built out their registration system the way they did for those that clearly know whether or not they meet the requirements. If you're unsure email ISC2.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    Same exam, same fees. $549 is for ISC(2) members and $599 is for nonmembers.

I don't think the price is based on whether or not the person is a member of ISC2. I could be wrong, but for both SSCP and CISSP tests I paid the early registration fee.

Note: Early registration pricing is available until 16 days prior to the event.

CISSP Associate of (ISC)2:
    Price (Early)$549
    Price (Std)$599

CISSP Exam Registration:
    Price (Early)$549
    Price (Std)$599
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    When you fill out the initial application to take an (ISC)2 exam, you must state your current InfoSec work experience in terms of "years per domain." At that point, your endorsers is not part of the process. Therefore, you must be aware of how much InfoSec work experiences you currently have just to take an exam. Whether or not you have the minimum work experience to be awarded the certification is not a factor in being allowed to take an (ISC)2 exam.
  • hustlin_moe20hustlin_moe20 Member Posts: 225
    azjag wrote: »
    I don't think the price is based on whether or not the person is a member of ISC2. I could be wrong, but for both SSCP and CISSP tests I paid the early registration fee.

Note: Early registration pricing is available until 16 days prior to the event.

CISSP Associate of (ISC)2:
    Price (Early)$549
    Price (Std)$599

CISSP Exam Registration:
    Price (Early)$549
    Price (Std)$599
    Yep, that's the reason for the price difference. Register early and it's cheaper. Price has nothing to do with your cert/experience status.