Options

ctrl + alt + del crashes my computer!

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is annoying.

I have everything disabled on msconfig. Checked all my running programs, but when I hit ctrl alt and delete to lock my computer, it never appears... then I have to hard-shutdown. Ooooh, that hurts me when I have to do that.

Anyone know of any fixes?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows Key and L will lock your computer. And you can get to task manager by right clicking the taskbar or using ctrl shift esc.

So what exactly happens after you ctrl alt delete?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    GINA/Credential Providers is corrupted or something has inserted a broken library into Winlogon. I'd check the computer for malware.

Try uninstalling any VPN or enhanced login e.g. biometrics packages as they both tend to hook into Winlogon and GINA. The fix is to reinstall Windows as any further messing around with GINA/Credential Providers or Winlogon can cause the entire system to refuse any kind of login.
  • Options
    Our Cisco VPN client causes GINA errors fairly often, but when it does it comes up at login and not when ctrl alt del are pressed.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Our Cisco VPN client causes GINA errors fairly often, but when it does it comes up at login and not when ctrl alt del are pressed.
    Its all part of Winlogon and that by default handles the SAK menu.

I've never had problems with the Cisco VPN client even with the GINA/CP option enabled but only IT staff have that enabled. Everybody else has to log in via the VPN client once they're in Windows.
  • Options
    As soon as I hit ctrl alt and delete, the screen goes blank... all the windows disappear and I'm left with just the house and my background.

Whenever I hit windows key + L, it will show that it's locked, but when you try to unlock it won't actually do anything. And when you move the mouse over to unlock it, it'll have the hour-glass icon. To get windows to come back, i'll have to hold the power button down to restart.

Now my internet explorer isn't working right, it crashes whenever I try to go to any websites.

I used my malware-bytes program, that crashed out and won't actually finish scanning.

I also used my ccleaner to see if it'll get rid of anything, that got some stuff off, but apparently not enough due to everything is still happening.

Any suggestions on what other programs to try?

I think right now I'll restart in safe mode and give malware-bytes and ccleaner a go.

I've also got everything disabled on msconfig startup.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Typically I'd format it rather than spending time trying to fix it. It takes me less time to do an unattended format than to try to fix system-level problems. What version of Windows are you using?
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Wipe and reinstall. Your Windows install is badly broken and most probably has malware.
  • Options
    That's typically what I do when something like this comes up.

I just wanted to see if anyone else ran into the same problem and possibly had a fix for it.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Sounds like explorer registry settings. Coming up in safe mode to the desktop and then shutting down with a restart often fixes it. Also on hangs like that an alternate way to bring up task manager is ctrl+shift+esc. Should work on Vista and 7, I don't remember if it goes back to XP.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Sounds like explorer registry settings. Coming up in safe mode to the desktop and then shutting down with a restart often fixes it. Also on hangs like that an alternate way to bring up task manager is ctrl+shift+esc. Should work on Vista and 7, I don't remember if it goes back to XP.

Yes, works on XP too.