Options

Opinion: flash upgrade of 2610 router

bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
Both of my 2610's currently have 8M of flash. I see I can upgrade to 16M, and on eBay it looks like it'd cost about $5 per router. Upgrading the ram from 32M to 64M (I'm thinking it's just a 2nd 32M stick, right? cisco's site says most 2600's have 2 banks) is another $5, so fully upgrading the 2 would be ~$20.

I'm checking for opinions on whether it's pointless to spend even that $20 on such old routers. I'm kindof torn on it. icon_rolleyes.gif You can only get so much out of an 'old grey mare'.
Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno

Comments

• Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    bermovick wrote: »
    Both of my 2610's currently have 8M of flash. I see I can upgrade to 16M, and on eBay it looks like it'd cost about $5 per router. Upgrading the ram from 32M to 64M (I'm thinking it's just a 2nd 32M stick, right? cisco's site says most 2600's have 2 banks) is another $5, so fully upgrading the 2 would be ~$20.

I'm checking for opinions on whether it's pointless to spend even that $20 on such old routers. I'm kindof torn on it. icon_rolleyes.gif You can only get so much out of an 'old grey mare'.

It really depends on the ios version and feature set that you want to run. Don't underestimate the 2610.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    If I only had 2 routers and they were both 2610 non XM I think I'd buy a third router first before upgrading. For the price of the ram upgrade you are pretty close to another router. Preferably one with a fast Ethernet port. 2600XM or maybe a 1760 if you are interested in voice. Both will do ROAS and have an expanded feature set compared to what your 2610's will do with any amount of ram. Plus three routers help a lot when playing with routing protocols.

Just my 2 cents.,
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    2600s can run smaller 12.4s for 2600XMs if you max out the RAM. It won't be particularly reliable and you may need to TFTP boot it if the image you've chosen is bigger than the Flash but its still handy.