Net+ next week

PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
Fixing to schedule my Net+ exam for this coming Thursday, the 30th. I did take a week long class which I did glean some information from, and got access to the Transcender practice tests (work paid for it). On Transcender I am scoring an average of 85%, here though, the practice 60 question test I only got 73.5%, couple bonehead errors though if I was in a test environment I may not have missed. So I'm hovering around the 80% mark, which, as I understand is approximately passing with a 720 on the actual test out of 100 - 900 coming out to about a 77.5% (unless my calculations are off).

I see people talking about a few other practice test places, and some other study materials. With about 4 days left before the Exam, what would you all suggest I do for studying and practice before I take the actual Exam? I'm looking for really effective ways of learning, or what you specifically tried to learn before you got a pass.

The exam doesn't have to be Thursday, I could push it back to Fri or Sat feasibly, but I do need to have it done before the following week, because a Sec+ class starts then and I really don't want to have to deal with overlapping material by taking a Sec+ class when I haven't even taken the Net+ exam yet.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Comments

• PaperlanternPaperlantern Member Posts: 352
    Wow, no advice at all? icon_cry.gif

Guess i'm on my own here on this one and i'll just keep taking practice questions from the book i have and from a Test King PDF. As well as a Test King study guide.

Any suggestions are still welcome however, still a few days til I test. Thanks in advance.
    icon_study.gif
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    I'd say take practice tests and get a book if you haven't. I would also delete your test kings. They are braindumps of the test questions, and they are very frowned upon since they are the test questions and answers. You could also lose your certification if you get caught using them.
    willhi1979 wrote: »
    I'd say take practice tests and get a book if you haven't. I would also delete your test kings. They are braindumps of the test questions, and they are very frowned upon since they are the test questions and answers. You could also lose your certification if you get caught using them.

WOW, seriously? I had no idea they were actual questions! I don't want to lose the Cert... but... how would they know I used them to gauge my readiness? I may quit using them I guess... though i doubt your claim I could lose a cert by using them a little, could you point me in the direction of some literature that says Test Kings are in some way... er... illegal? For lack of a better term. Or is this just your opinion?

It's not like I am using the questions to pass by memorizing the answers, i'm studying the material and using a book and a class to LEARN it, I only want questions to see how I'm doing overall.

I do have the book that came with my class, and im using that for review, as well as the Transcender that came with the class (practice questions with explanations for each). I'm guessing I'm on the right track here then.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mcmcse.com has some free practice exams for the net+ too.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    WOW, seriously? I had no idea they were actual questions! I don't want to lose the Cert... but... how would they know I used them to gauge my readiness? I may quit using them I guess... though i doubt your claim I could lose a cert by using them a little, could you point me in the direction of some literature that says Test Kings are in some way... er... illegal? For lack of a better term. Or is this just your opinion?

It happens to a lot of us when starting out in the cert circuit. It's what you do next that matters most.

Always make sure you check out CertGuard to make sure the testing material you are using is legit:

CertGuard | IT Certification Exam Security & Integrity

Definitely stay away from TK and other sites of that nature. TE does not endorse or condone their usage.
    Very interesting indeed, I suppose at this point I may cease using the TK questions. I don't need them anyway, I have enough other resources for material and such at my disposal I think. I don't want to risk it.

Though I think the thing that is frowned upon here is that they can be used to ****, like, just running through the questions over and over and over until you practically memorize them. That isn't my intent with them anyway, I am hitting them once and looking at how I do on them just to gauge how I stand in readiness for the exam. But I am not taking any chances now on it. *kicks the TK*

It's good! icon_cheers.gif

Honestly I'm not just starting out perse, I have two CompTIA certs already, but I've not taken a cert since 2005, so...

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, keep em coming.
  • cbsharpe0824cbsharpe0824 Member Posts: 153
    wish you well in your upcoming exam. If you need some extra materials...just shoot me a PM.
    It appears as though I am unable to send PMs yet, perhaps a post count or account age thing, not sure. I would be more than grateful for anything you might be able to point me to or send me however.
    It appears as though I am unable to send PMs yet, perhaps a post count or account age thing, not sure. I would be more than grateful for anything you might be able to point me to or send me however.

I think you are right about the post count. I don't want to shell out my email to the world so I will keep an eye for you or better yet, just remind me too when you are able to send/receive PM's...

How does that sound?
    I think you are right about the post count. I don't want to shell out my email to the world so I will keep an eye for you or better yet, just remind me too when you are able to send/receive PM's...

How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. Anyone know what the post count is, I persued the forums but didnt see a "Forum Rules" thread posted anywhere that might have a value in it. Can I receive PMs? Maybe you can just send it to me? I dunno. Hopefully it's not too many, I'm taking the Test on Thursday (or friday, depending on whats available at the test center, I still need my Voucher code from the place I bought it from).
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    If you have access to the Transcender practice tests and are doing well on them you should have no problem on the real exam. Transcender's are a little harder than the real exams anyway. Good luck with the exam!

Really? I didn't know those were harder! Yeah I took a 100 question exam, one that's designed to simulate the test environment, and hit an 88% on it, so I felt pretty good there, But I still wanted to be consistently in the 90's before TAKING the exam.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Really? I didn't know those were harder! Yeah I took a 100 question exam, one that's designed to simulate the test environment, and hit an 88% on it, so I felt pretty good there, But I still wanted to be consistently in the 90's before TAKING the exam.
    You will probably pass the test as you are (my best guess), but Transcender's are little harder (hard to quantify). If you have access to Transcender then you don't need TK, for your career you really need to know networking inside out. You would be doing yourself a huge disservice using TK. But you know that now. Go over the questions you keep missing, take notes of them, read over them before the exam, you should pass with flying colors.
    Sounds good to me. Anyone know what the post count is, I persued the forums but didnt see a "Forum Rules" thread posted anywhere that might have a value in it. Can I receive PMs? Maybe you can just send it to me? I dunno. Hopefully it's not too many, I'm taking the Test on Thursday (or friday, depending on whats available at the test center, I still need my Voucher code from the place I bought it from).

It's not too many, but if it helped me, then I know it can help others. There is nothing more I want, than to see my fellow friends pass their exams!
    Yeah I am using the book they gave me for the class. I'm hitting each chapter's review questions (we didn't look at them during class so they are fresh questions), if I score less than 75% on the review questions, I go back and read the chapter again. Got a few chapters left to hit yet before I'm through with that. I will probably take another Transcender tonight, and then another tomorrow. I will TRY not to touch the material at all the day of the test (some have said it could be detrimental to do this).

cbsharpe0824, I appreciate the gesture, but it looks like I may be stuck with what I have if we can't PM eachother. Maybe we can share materials on Security+ in a week or so.

Asif, thank you for the kind words, my wife has been telling me the same thing, i'm ALMOST to the point of believing that. =)
  • K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are on a good trek to me. Good luck on the test.
    Yeah I am using the book they gave me for the class. I'm hitting each chapter's review questions (we didn't look at them during class so they are fresh questions), if I score less than 75% on the review questions, I go back and read the chapter again. Got a few chapters left to hit yet before I'm through with that. I will probably take another Transcender tonight, and then another tomorrow. I will TRY not to touch the material at all the day of the test (some have said it could be detrimental to do this).

cbsharpe0824, I appreciate the gesture, but it looks like I may be stuck with what I have if we can't PM eachother. Maybe we can share materials on Security+ in a week or so.

Asif, thank you for the kind words, my wife has been telling me the same thing, i'm ALMOST to the point of believing that. =)

Sounds good! I just emailed you my friend...so check it out and YES, maybe we can share materials on S+...

Thanks!
    Scored an 88 and 92 on Transcender the first two practice tests I took (One a short custom one, and the other a full 100 question practice test), was feeling good about it so I scheduled the test. Now it's inside of 24 hour to the test, and i took a couple more practice tests today and promptly flunked both with a 64% and 69%. So I am now freaking out, it's too late to cancel and reschedule so I feel as though I'm hosed...icon_cry.gif
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Remember, the most important things are:

1. Get plenty of rest the night before.
    2. Eat a nutritious meal in the morning.
    3. Relax, have confidence in the things you've learned and breathe.

Good luck, you'll be fine.
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5