Options

Huh? -- Google chief sees Bing as main threat

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
This news story made me do a double-take. I guess I never thought of Bing as anything but a superior mapping site.

Google chief sees Bing as main threat

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This news story made me do a double-take. I guess I never thought of Bing as anything but a superior mapping site.

Google chief sees Bing as main threat

Without reading the article, I can tell you why that is. Google is getting the sweet anti-trust treatment from the Federal government the same way Microsoft got hit with it. This is a brilliant attempt on their part on Google's part so that they can keep their justly deserved advertising dollars.

Not for nothing, but I find the whole anti-trust treatment Google is receiving very unfair. They are the best search engine for a reason, and just because they got big (and without resorting to the bullying crap Microsoft did to earn their marketing share), folks want to forget that Google is the best example of what it means to become innovative and successful in these here United States of America! Google has a better shot of beating it than Microsoft did because they aren't using any strong-arm tactics that Microsoft was accused of doing. This time the government has no case, but just to ensure that, they have to come out and say Bing is a superior competitor. Of course, we all know better, but that's really the reason.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If there are only two women in a bar, the more attractive woman would see the less attractive woman as competition. This is true even if the other woman is significantly less attractive, like Bing.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Google doesn't give a **** about bing. Bing just so happens to be the best of the bottom-feeder search engines.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    The significantly less attractive female has to do more to compensate for her lack of beauty.....sometimes a lot more.
    lmao..
    Yeah I just wish Bing would come up with something better than "los links"
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    If there are only two women in a bar, the more attractive woman would see the less attractive woman as competition. This is true even if the other woman is significantly less attractive, like Bing.

This is why it took me so long to find a wife; I just don't understand the logic.

I didn't know anyone used Bing. Then again I didn't know anyone found Paris Hilton attractive or attention-worthy. But Bing/Hilton are still around.
  • Options
    TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Actually Googles chief googler had an in depth interview on the U.S. public broadcasting show (PBS) with Charlie Rose this week. I just happen to catch it because SWMBO said watch this or you will be sorry knowing that I don't watch TV. It was fascinating,

Google sees the future of the INTERNET going down the path that Bing is already heading down with their ad's. That is to say custom searches based on who you are. If 5 people put in the same search query they would each get different results based on past searches and what Google already knows about you. He sees this as the future of searches.

He also had something to say about their dispute with the government of mainland China and their willingness to lose money over it by moving to the other side of the mainlands firewall.

Google maintains your searches for 18 months by the way and then they are discarded. So if dynamik cleans up his dubious locations he will be golden again in 2012.

They may have the interview posted on pbs.org by now. It may be the source of what you read.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Bing is the default for IE unless you select the option to choose another search provider.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Bing is the default for IE unless you select the option to choose another search provider.
    True about that. I've been using Bing and it works pretty good. I still refer to a search as "googling" something though.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed wrote: »
    True about that. I've been using Bing and it works pretty good. I still refer to a search as "googling" something though.

I think that is the advantage Google has is their company name became part of our language.
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I think that is the advantage Google has is their company name became part of our language.
    That isn't actually an advantage. If your trademark becomes genericized then you start to lose control of it.
  • Options

Bing never stays on as the default for too long....it gets switched immediately to Google. :) (Maps and Translate too.... :D )
  • Options
    That isn't actually an advantage. If your trademark becomes genericized then you start to lose control of it.

Not if becomes brand name recognition, which I believe is what Tpatt100 is saying.
  • Options
    Not if becomes brand name recognition, which I believe is what Tpatt100 is saying.
    earweed just referred to searching for something as "googling" so it isn't brand name recognition. googling = using a search engine even when it isn't Google. I've seen other people use the same meaning.

Xerox nearly lost their trademark because people referred to photocopying as xeroxing even when not using their machines. They managed to convince the trademark office somehow though.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    earweed just referred to searching for something as "googling" so it isn't brand name recognition. googling = using a search engine even when it isn't Google. I've seen other people use the same meaning.

Xerox nearly lost their trademark because people referred to photocopying as xeroxing even when not using their machines. They managed to convince the trademark office somehow though.

I guess you could say the same with the word "Fedex" which Federal Express just changed their name to match what everybody was using anyways. I just think "Google" has an advantage with their name being a term we all use anyways. Google has done a pretty good job branching out from their search engine to compensate for any potential loss of internet traffic.
  • Options

Yes, but when you say "googling", you don't use Bing do you?
  • Options
    Sometimes, depends on which browser I'm on. Bing is still my default on IE8 and it's what I use mostly.
  • Options
    Quite a few people I know do. Googling = searching via any search engine at all. It isn't restricted to my group of acquaintances either. I've seen other people use googling as any kind of online search.
  • Options
    I guess you could say the same with the word "Fedex" which Federal Express just changed their name to match what everybody was using anyways.
    Do people refer to other delivery services as "Fedex" though? I'm going to fedex this package so I'll give UPS a call?
    I just think "Google" has an advantage with their name being a term we all use anyways.
    Hoover became a genericized trademark because everybody referred to the actual act of using a vacuum cleaner as hoovering and the unit itself as a hoover even when it was another brand.
  • Options
    It's the same deal with Coke or Pepsi. (I don't drink either anymore, btw), but if I order a Coke, I might get Pepsi, because they don't sell coke. But they know I want cola. (I'm not even getting into the regional differences of "soda", "pop", etc., I'm just talking Coke and Pepsi). Most people will say Coke, even if they want Pepsi.

Another good one is Bounty paper towels. Depending on whether I have a coupon for Bounty or not, I will get what's on sale, but many of us will refer to the paper towel as "Bounty" for the same reason. It's all about name recognition and Coke, Bounty, and Google especially aren't worried about control of their brand. They want their names out there.

BTW, when I google something, I use Google. I never leave Bing as a default anything for very long. I only use Yahoo/MSN for email and/or news stuff. NEVER for search. That's what Google is for. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136

That did happen to Asprin. I t went into common usage and the trademark was lost.

Aspirin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia