Free online certifications??

I need some free certs to fill some little holes in my cv i did D-link online cert a few years ago it was the basic thing but i wonder if i can find more like this.

yes i know those are not reputable certs but like i say are little holes..

Comments

• NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    How about these:

Safer Recruitment in Education. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for safer recruitment.

Microsoft certs of completion (You can get Certs of Completions on Microsoft's elearning courses, some of them are free).

Winning the Contract. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for procurement/tendering.

-Ken
  • gouki2005gouki2005 Member Posts: 197
    NinjaBoy wrote: »
    How about these:

Safer Recruitment in Education. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for safer recruitment.

Microsoft certs of completion (You can get Certs of Completions on Microsoft's elearning courses, some of them are free).

Winning the Contract. Not IT Specific, but gives a good overview of best practices for procurement/tendering.

-Ken
    thx for the microsoft... the other two...i think i dont need those
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    gouki2005 wrote: »
    thx for the microsoft... the other two...i think i dont need those

Cool, no worries :)

Included them as they are also part of my role :)

-Ken
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just my first thought, and I do know you already acknowledged they are not really reputable. Might it do more harm than good placing that on your resume? I mean, if you're using them to fill holes then I would be led to believe you're probably just starting out in the industry and if that's the case I would expect your resume not be as loaded as someone with some years of experience under them and some professional certifications. On the flip side, if you do have some experience under your belt and are trying to move into bigger and better things, then I would question why you haven't sought after and obtained more "real" certifications or otherwise done other steps to improve your perceived value to prospective employers.

That's just my first thought is all, I don't mean to insult anybody who might pursue things like this and include them on their resume. I just think it's one of those things that may do more harm than good. That's just how I look at things though, if I see things on a resume that look like complete fluff then I question why this is a good candidate if they load their resume with things that when it really comes down to it won't serve any real benefit to the role they would fill. Just seems like a tacky and risky move to me. I'd consider not pursuing that route and finding other ways to pad your resume such as professional proctored certifications, real work experiences if you have any and if not and you are getting started in the industry maybe consider volunteer work fixing PC's or something somewhere like a church, seniors center, charity, etc.
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ^^^
    I am with msteinhilber!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    ^^^
    I am with msteinhilber!
    +1 Me too
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah, if you're going to do that you might as well make up your own certification. Would be just as effective.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    Yeah, if you're going to do that you might as well make up your own certification. Would be just as effective.

Certified Doughnut-Holer........
    mmmmmmmmmmmmmm doughnuts

I agree completely with msteinhilber and the others, I think the time and effort would be better off spent elsewhere.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    ^^^
    I am with msteinhilber!

+1. Hit it right on the nail.
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Just found a link from Juniper Networks offering a 100% voucher for a JunOS certification. It's free, and it's a good product.

100% Free Junos Certifications
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nothing worthwhile is easy [or free].
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Does that include Microsoft beta exams or the free vouchers that they gave away in 2008 when Juniper first had their free test vouchers. Free does not mean easy.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    TheShadow wrote: »
    Does that include Microsoft beta exams or the free vouchers that they gave away in 2008 when Juniper first had their free test vouchers. Free does not mean easy.

No, free does not mean easy.

But "free online" does, which is what the OP was inquiring about.
  • adal2007adal2007 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    DON'T JUST PUT IN GOOGLE: "FREE CERTIFICATION IT OR "AREA".!!!!!!! THAT WOULD RESULT IN A TON OF UGLY SITES THAT OFFER NOT-VALID KNOWLEDGE.

I agree that if someone uses "free online stuff" to fill a job application, that's just ugly.

but it doesn't hurt to want to know more, even if you are a CCNA or a COMPTIA +A certified person, sometimes you want to "understand the basics" of certain area that you are not a expert.

I have seen bad "free" online courses, but there are also great courses that clarify a lot of things for a certain subject you are interested, you just have to do research, and understand that the best thing you can do, is to get certified by a pearsonvue exams or training.

remember, if you want quality on the internet, you have to do a "extensive" search, not limit google search to : free online search, there are a lot of excellent free online courses out there, but your main goal should always be get a real cert on pearsonvue.

thats how i think.
    regards,
    adrian
  • Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you guys get a job from those free certificates or are you doing it just for the love of it?
  • JacekRadomskiJacekRadomski Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I just recently taken Solarwinds SCP exam and I must say that this exam carries some weight in the industry since Solarwinds is a strong player in the IT world. At this time the exam is free (normally it is $150) and you can register and take the exam online. You need to be prepared and have working experience with Solarwinds to pass the exam. Good Luck.icon_study.gif
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    3 The Best FREE Online Courses with Certificates - IT Certification Master

IPv6 - Hurricane electric
    Virtualization and Backup-Backup Academy
    Cloud - Rackspace
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
    Hello, I just recently taken Solarwinds SCP exam and I must say that this exam carries some weight in the industry since Solarwinds is a strong player in the IT world. At this time the exam is free (normally it is $150) and you can register and take the exam online. You need to be prepared and have working experience with Solarwinds to pass the exam. Good Luck.icon_study.gif

1 post? hmmmm......
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    tprice5 wrote: »
    1 post? hmmmm......

Oh, you skipped over your first post here?

Not a very warm welcome..
    When someone comes in promoting one vendor's product and it is his/her first post, I am justifiably suspicious. If he/she is legit, all the welcomes in the world, but that has yet to be seen.
    WGU MSISA
  • phonicphonic Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IPv6 - Hurricane electric

Bastards never sent me my Sage t-shirt. icon_cry.gif

But in all seriousness, HE is awesome for not only the free tunnel broker service they offer, but their IPv6 training program. I took it a couple years ago, and it was both informative and fun. They basically have you create a real-world lab with your server(s) and audit them to make sure they are IPv6 compliant. You learn a lot about how to configure IPv6 properly and once you achieve their top tier cert level (Sage) they are supposed to send you a t-shirt. icon_twisted.gif
  • ChrisMaloonChrisMaloon Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Don't do free they don't hold the value.
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Depending on who you work for, you can sometimes get vendor certs by virtue of business partnerships. I got my FSE (FireEye Certified Systems Engineer), SFCSE (SourceFire Certified Security Engineer), SFCSE-AMP (SourceFire Certified Security Engineer - Advanced Malware Protection), and SFCAR (SourceFire Certified Architect) all for free.
  • CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Don't know if this is still valid but there's a post on here about a free VCA exam from VMWARE at http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/93417-free-vca-exam-your-choice-vmware.html
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • lawrence_of_arabialawrence_of_arabia Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When someone comes in promoting one vendor's product and it is his/her first post, I am justifiably suspicious. If he/she is legit, all the welcomes in the world, but that has yet to be seen.

That post did sound a bit commercialized didn't it? Haha..
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Oh, you skipped over your first post here?

Not a very warm welcome..

I skipped over my first post here. However, I would like to rectify that.

Hi guys, I'm Danny, I'm new here. I do CISSP stuff for people and I take tests.
  • About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I corrected JacekRadomski's statement below:
    Hello, I just recently taken [a large sum of money in exchange for promoting the] Solarwinds SCP exam and I must say that this exam carries some weight in the industry since [my employer,]Solarwinds is a strong player in the IT world. At this time the exam is free (normally it is $150) and you can register and take the exam online. You need to be prepared and have working experience with Solarwinds to pass the exam. Good Luck.icon_study.gif

Joking aside, Solarwinds seems to be a decent company from what very little I have seen. Take it with a grain of salt.
    CDRichards wrote: »
    Don't know if this is still valid but there's a post on here about a free VCA exam from VMWARE at http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/93417-free-vca-exam-your-choice-vmware.html

I am pretty sure this offer expired the day you posted it. At least that is what someone else had posted on another thread. I haven't seen an end date to this offer on anything that VMware is advertising.
    WGU MSISA
    I just recently taken Solarwinds SCP exam and I must say that this exam carries some weight in the industry since Solarwinds is a strong player in the IT world, at this time the exam is free and you can register and take the exam online.
    icon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gificon_scratch.gif
    WGU MSISA
    WGU MSISA