Options

CCSP Certification Changes

2»

Comments

• Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    Doh! cheers Mike I missed that. I still cannot see the new exams in the links provided. If the new exams are valid it looks like i should hold fire on the ASA fundamentals course as I'm not sure if I will be able to use this as part of the new track. Work are buying me two courses the switch course from CCNP and ASA fundamentals from CCSP so maybe I should start the CCNP track first?

Based on Cisco's usual process, the old exams will stay valid for quite some time. People who began their SP track with the existing exams are always given enough time to complete the track.

The new exams, I would guess, are the next evolution of the existing exams, where:
    SECURE = SNRS
    IPS = IPS
    FIREWALL = ASA Fundamentals
    VPN = ASA Advanced

If that's right, then if you managed to get the ASA:F before the new track was official, it would remain a valid component of the new track for another year or two.

I've never found it advantageous to wait for the tracks to change... Cisco typically ensures that no one's efforts are in vain.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Man, just when I'm getting around to getting back in the track, I have SNAF booked for Nov 19th.
  • Options
    ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    Lizano wrote: »
    Man, just when I'm getting around to getting back in the track, I have SNAF booked for Nov 19th.

Read mikearama's post, you'll have plenty of options.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • Options
    Read mikearama's post, you'll have plenty of options.

Yeah, I know...plus it's not like they're going to retire stuff inmediately or that exams you have taken are not going to be valid anymore. Heck, my SND is still valid for another year.

I just hope Cisco Press keeps up with the curricula changes.
  • Options
    JSKJSK Member Posts: 166
    I just hope Cisco Press keeps up with the curricula changes.

After seeing how there was a lack of study materials for the CCSP I am not holding my breath for the new CCNP Security exams.
  • Options
    JSK wrote: »
    After seeing how there was a lack of study materials for the CCSP I am not holding my breath for the new CCNP Security exams.

I hear that.

It was so weird going down the SP track. The NP track has resources galore... the SP is the scrawny, malnourished, poor cousin by comparison. It was so "different" to have to go to the blueprint and then "manually" have to search for reading material on the topic... not that cisco.com and google are difficult to navigate, but you get spoiled doing the NP.

I expect to pass (confident, yet anxious) the IPS exam this week and close out the SP... then on to the VP, where I hope the resources are back to plentiful.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

• Options
    I really don´t like at all that they are taking the CCSP name away. I really hate that.

CCSP just sounded better that CCNP Security sounds...

Man, I knew changes were coming, but what a mess, my eyes hurt from navigating that web page.
  • Options
    The more I read the more I dislike. I was expecting changes similiar to the ones that occured with the CCSP a couple of year back when they retired SND and upgraded the rest of the exams.
  • Options
    Ditto.

My beef is that the NP stands for Network Professional. Now someone can get their CCNP: Security first, still not know anything about routing, eigrp, spanning-tree, etc, etc, etc, etc... yet still get to put CCNP on their resume. BS.

I'm leaving CCSP on my resume... assuming I get past the IPS exam on Thursday.

• Options
    So a current CCSP will not be grandfathered into a CCNP Security? I assume that means everyone has to retake all 4 new exams? If so that is lame.
  • Options
    So a current CCSP will not be grandfathered into a CCNP Security? I assume that means everyone has to retake all 4 new exams? If so that is lame.

No no, of course that's not the case. CCSP's will no doubt instantly transform into NP's in Security.

• Options
    mikearama wrote: »
    No no, of course that's not the case. CCSP's will no doubt instantly transform into NP's in Security.

It´s my understanding that none of the CCSP exams will count towards CCNP Security. That´s my dissapointment.
  • Options
    It´s my understanding that none of the CCSP exams will count towards CCNP Security. That´s my dissapointment.

Based on what?

CCSP Exam Certification Tool - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

"CCSP exams will remain available until April 2011 and individuals can still obtain a CCSP certification until October 2011. CCSP certifications will no longer be issued after October 2011. Cisco strongly encourages individuals to take the newer, relevant CCNP Security exams instead of the older CCSP exams."

"Encourages" bro (which is always the case)... but not mandatory.

• Options
    I don't know how to interpret it. The CCVP changes clearly show that you can mix and match old/new exams and still get the CCNP Voice certification. However the security changes show separate paths for the CCSP and CCNP Security certifications.
  • Options
    mikearama wrote: »
    Based on what?

CCSP Exam Certification Tool - Career Certifications & Paths - Cisco Systems

"CCSP exams will remain available until April 2011 and individuals can still obtain a CCSP certification until October 2011. CCSP certifications will no longer be issued after October 2011. Cisco strongly encourages individuals to take the newer, relevant CCNP Security exams instead of the older CCSP exams."

"Encourages" bro (which is always the case)... but not mandatory.

Right, you can get your CCSP, and it's valid for 3 years, but after that, you can't recertify o become CCNP Sec by passing any 642 exam, you have to take the 4 CCNP Security exams. That's what I get because none of the CCSP exams are listed in the CCNP Security track.
  • Options
    Here is some good news :

Self-Study Resources from Cisco Press
    • Secure Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Secure Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming November 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Edition—Coming February 2011
    • Firewall Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Firewall Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming November 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Edition—Coming March 2011
    • VPN Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • VPN Official Certification Guide
      • Print and eBook Editions—Coming March 2011
    • IPS Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • IPS Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming October 2010
      • Print and eBook—Coming February 2011
  • Options
    I kept on reading to see if I can find something, hoping maybe I was wrong, but it seems to that this is the case. They are not just renaming CCSP to CCNP Security, they are dropping CCSP. Being a CCSP does not grant you a CCNP Security, whereas with Voice, having a CCVP does make you a CCNP Voice.

I just don't see the point in that. This sucks.
  • Options
    I kept on reading to see if I can find something, hoping maybe I was wrong, but it seems to that this is the case. They are not just renaming CCSP to CCNP Security, they are dropping CCSP. Being a CCSP does not grant you a CCNP Security, whereas with Voice, having a CCVP does make you a CCNP Voice.

I just don't see the point in that. This sucks.

Ah, now I see what you mean. Yep, that sucks.

• Options
    mattrgeemattrgee Member Posts: 201
    Here is some good news :

Self-Study Resources from Cisco Press
    • Secure Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Secure Official Certification Guide
      • Print and eBook Edition—Coming February 2011
    • Firewall Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Firewall Official Certification Guide
      • Print and eBook Edition—Coming March 2011
    • VPN Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • VPN Official Certification Guide
      • Print and eBook Editions—Coming March 2011
    • IPS Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • IPS Official Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming October 2010
      • Print and eBook—Coming February 2011

I was about to post this myself!!! This is excellent news. Books! Real certfication focused books!!!
  • Options
    mattrgee wrote: »
    I was about to post this myself!!! This is excellent news. Books! Real certfication focused books!!!

Yeah, I am anxious for the IPS 7.0 rough cuts. It says October 2010 so I hope it is not a typo. Looking to take the exam sometime in December if all goes well.
  • Options
    It seems that Cisco had to review the CCSP Changes after they got a bunch of us upset.

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-10424

This part makes me happy, you will still be able to renew your CCSP by passing any 642 exam.

"The CCSP program will not issue new certifications after October 14, 2011, however. If you attain a CCSP certification prior to that date, you can hold both certifications. Not every CCSP exam can used for CCNP Security certification, so please check the list of qualifying exams in table 3 below."