Options

Anyone trying IE 9 Beta?

earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
I was considering trying this but would like to see if anyone else has tried it yet.
No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I was considering trying this but would like to see if anyone else has tried it yet.

Does it work on Ubuntu? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Don't know yet but it wont work (or at least not right if at all) on systems running XP. Does Ubuntu support hardware acceleration?
    Here's an article I found about it not being supported on XP.
    Internet Explorer 9 Snubs Windows XP Users — Datamation.com
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'm going to write an article about how IE9 snubs WFWG 3.11...
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've downloaded it today and I heard it's really good, personally I never use IE only firefox and chrome.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I like it and I've been using Firefox for 7 years now too.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    I'm going to write an article about how IE9 snubs WFWG 3.11...

Oh c'mon...I still use XP at home! Not everyone jumped on Vista....or rather, the beta version of Windows 7!

But as to the original query, I stopped beta testing for MS a terribly long time ago. I tend to wait until stuff is stable and really primetime before I jump on IE or an O/S. (For work, I have to do that anyway...if Oracle didn't certify a browser for use with PeopleSoft and I can't see something, I can't do my job... and this is after a normal release, so betas would be out of the question anyhow.)
  • Options
    That article I linked above talks about how M$ is trying to phase out XP even though XP sstill holds over 60% of the market. Everyone has been bragging about W7 catching up but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Who willingly installs a beta IE client that is not required by any applications?

Defies logic icon_lol.gif
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    That article I linked above talks about how M$ is trying to phase out XP even though XP sstill holds over 60% of the market. Everyone has been bragging about W7 catching up but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

Even if I wanted to use W7 (and I do kind of), I don't have the hardware to run it adequately. Especially if I want to use Aero....that actually looks pretty cool. So until such time, I will be sticking with W7 until the laptop dies....then its W7 and new laptop, courtesy of work.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've given consideration to trying out the IE9 beta and also have given thought to trying out the FF4 beta as well. I just don't have the time lately it seems between work and school. One of these days maybe, though by then I may be looking into an IE10 or FF5 beta :D
  • Options
    7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I figured since I don't use IE anyway I might as well install the beta & give it a try. Still really haven't used it yet though.

• Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I didn't really have any incentive to install it, but i did anyway. IE9 beta works fine for me, but then again I don't scrutinize my web browser.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    I have used it since the beta was released, I like it a lot. I am not sure if it will replace chrome for me, since that is what I use 90% of the time. If a page opens in IE 9, I wont close it in favor of Chrome, which is a huge endorsement in my world.

Windows XP...its nine years old...time to let go...Windows 7 is better...I have far more problems with my XP clients than I do with my Vista and 7 clients put together...time to retire it...its tired and ready to go into retirement.
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Works great! html5test.com and the acid3 test gave it ratings nearer to FF and chrome. Looks like IE will become a major player again. ;)
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I gave it a try, and I have to say that I like it. Without going into a page-long ramble, I can say that it's very. . . Chrome-like, (which is good for me because I'm personally not a big fan of Firefox.)

If IE9 stays light-weight and fast and Microsoft continues to hammer down on the security-front, I could see IE becoming a player with "the cool kids of the internet" again. I doubt it will be IE9 that comes through as being "as cool as Firefox", but maybe 10, 11, or whatever they'll call it after they decide the increments have gone too high and just re-brand the damn thing. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Its great. I don't use IE very often in my personal life but lots of MS-specific applications rely on it so I have to use it at work for 50% of my web usage. I wouldn't see not supporting Windows XP as a snub. There's just no point in delaying the inevitable. At some point you have to focus your resources on the future. I doubt there will be anything IE-9 specific that will break functionality or deny functionality to Windows XP users. I can still do 99% of what I want to do with IE7. I don't foresee this being an issue at all, except in the places that wait ten years to upgrade. I've been to some of the largest financial institutions in the country that still roll in nt4 infrastructures.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    Unforg1venUnforg1ven Member Posts: 108
    IE has made some strides compared to the other third party browsers out there. By strides I mean learning from them and copying their very features. I personally use chrome for the speed and sexy extensions. icon_cool.gif

In a corporate environment, there is nothing wrong with IE8.
    Next on Tap>> WGU B.S. IT - Network Administration
    MCSA:2008 Complete >> Capstone left!

####################################
    "One of God's own prototypes... too weird to live, too rare to die..."