CBT training that is quick & to the point?

Mike_30Mike_30 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Before I plop down money on other training videos etc. I always like to get an opinion from other people on what I am looking for.

What CBT based training whether it be interactive testing or just straight videos gets straight to what you need to know for the test?

I am right now doing A+ which is a lot of review stuff for me but I want to make sure I know all the small stuff for the test and then move on into higher level certs.

I was watching a video earlier today that a friend gave me and I felt it had quite a bit of fluff in it or it says "you dont need to know this but...." One part made me lose my train of thought when he started talking about wal-mart. This isnt a negative review on that company. I like all the other stuff when they are on topic.

Comments

• rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It really comes down to trainer preference and the actual certification you're going towards.

For example, I find Jeremy Cioara of CBT Nuggets to be the only option for me when it comes to learning things Cisco. I like his style, voice, and his real world feel of the material. He does have random fillers/anecdotes here and there but I've come to love them. While he always get to the point in an orderly fashion other people may think the complete opposite of this.

I'd say view some sample videos from the Trainsignal and CBT Nuggets sites (two huge CBT companies in this field) and see what you like. The reason I say trainer preference comes into play is because the trainer you see in the current series you're watching may not be teaching the next series of the exam you need info on.
  • tearofstearofs Member Posts: 112
    It really comes down to trainer preference and the actual certification you're going towards.

For example, I find Jeremy Cioara of CBT Nuggets to be the only option for me when it comes to learning things Cisco. I like his style, voice, and his real world feel of the material and life. He does have random fillers/anecdotes here and there but I've come to love them. While he always get to the point in an orderly fashion other people may think the complete opposite of this.

I'd say view some sample videos from the Trainsignal and CBT Nuggets sites (two huge CBT companies in this field) and see what you like. The reason I say trainer preference comes into play is because the trainer you see in the current series you're watching may not be teaching the next series of the exam you need info on.

+1

Jeremy from CBT Nuggets is very good. I used that for my CCNA and I am again using his videos for CCNP atm.

On the other hand, M$ videos from CBT nuggets (non-Jeremy) is okay ...
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've found Labsim to be very good for CompTIA studies. I used them for the Net+ and Sec+ and they were very good.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    If the material is mostly review then the free professor messer videos and a book might be enough and certainly cheaper than paying for trainsignal or cbt nuggets videos. Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Nework+, Certification Training
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□

For example, I find Jeremy Cioara of CBT Nuggets to be the only option for me when it comes to learning things Cisco. I like his style, voice, and his real world feel of the material. He does have random fillers/anecdotes here and there but I've come to love them. While he always get to the point in an orderly fashion other people may think the complete opposite of this.

I completely agree. James Conrad is pulling me through the MCSE. I had a different instructor from them once and I believe that his videos were garbage.

I've also used trainsignal videos, and didn't find them quite as good. But they do offer a more convenient product (providing you with videos to play on your smartphone as well as mp3's in addition to the normal videos).
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    Mike_30 wrote: »
    Before I plop down money on other training videos etc. I always like to get an opinion from other people on what I am looking for.

What CBT based training whether it be interactive testing or just straight videos gets straight to what you need to know for the test?

I am right now doing A+ which is a lot of review stuff for me but I want to make sure I know all the small stuff for the test and then move on into higher level certs.

I was watching a video earlier today that a friend gave me and I felt it had quite a bit of fluff in it or it says "you dont need to know this but...." One part made me lose my train of thought when he started talking about wal-mart. This isnt a negative review on that company. I like all the other stuff when they are on topic.

As earweed mentioned, labsim or testout are very good. The instructors dont mince words. They are direct and straight to the point. Plus you get notes provided and exam questions at the end of each section with other excerises as well as labs to complete.

CBT nuggets instructors are generally good but can go off on a tangent. Their A+ videos which would probably give you more than you need to know and are quite lenthy. There are 65 videos in the series at 38hrs in total covering both a+ exams. Its a pity they use silverlight to play their videos now.
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    alokin123 wrote: »
    Its a pity they use silverlight to play their videos now.

Last time I checked, silverslight was in beta and you could revert back to the windows media player. Has that option been removed now?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Last time I checked, silverslight was in beta and you could revert back to the windows media player. Has that option been removed now?
    Yep. They new site and player went live a few months ago and the only player link they have is to the new silverlight player. But, it looks like they are working on an alternative player: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/57736-cbtnuggets-player.html

I dont think i could sit there and watch 38hrs of instructional video at normal speed.