Options

Updated CCVP exams?

mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
Looks like there may be an announcement of CCVP changes soon -- someone is updating one of the Cisco Certification web pages (and has retroactively retired a few CCSP exams -- so there may be a few typos similar to the retroactive BSCI retirement fiasco of Jan 2009 )

If the page is to be believed: Last day to test 02/28/11

Lots of busted links on the "updated and new" exams -- and no corresponding updates on The Cisco Learning Network site or individual exam pages.

The new exams will be Available: 10/12/10

642-437 CVOICE v8.0 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Voice over IP and QoS v8.0 (CVOICE v8.0)

642-447 CIPT1 v8.0 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Part 1 v8.0 (CIPT1 v8.0)

642-457 CIPT2 v8.0 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Part 2 v8.0 (CIPT2 v8.0)

642-427 TVOICE v8.0 Troubleshooting Cisco Unified Communications v8.0 (TVOICE v8.0)

642-467 CAPPS v8.0 Integrating Cisco Unified Communications Applications v8.0 (CAPPS v8.0)

As I said in the http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccip/58548-qos.html thread -- wait until Monday/Tuesday to see when/if Cisco gets their head out of their butt and announces some changes and/or fixes that page.

Right now the existing (retiring) QoS exam is listed as an OR with that new CAPPS exam and there's no hint about a replacement/updated QoS exam icon_rolleyes.gif
:mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Interesting find. Well this won't be effecting my studies much fortunately, but I will probably begin to follow the new track when proper study materials have become available for it.

It is good to see things being updated.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Yep looks like a few changes are coming and not just on teh VP track. Interesting to see that QOS has pretty much been dropped across the board!
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    jovan88jovan88 Member Posts: 393
    Yep looks like a few changes are coming and not just on teh VP track. Interesting to see that QOS has pretty much been dropped across the board!
    I wonder what the future for CCIP will be now!
  • Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like they've made some changes since April;

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/53080-news-new-improved-ccvp.html

TUC gets reinstated, updated and renamed TVOICE.
    ICOMM gets dropped.

Hopefully they will have the same dual CCVPv4 / CCVPv6 tracks running for those of us caught between, or a 1 for 1 equivalent like the CCNP modules when it was upgraded.

<RANT>
    Having got caught with the CCNA:V and CVOICE certification mess, and now a revamped CCVP, I don't want to start the CCVP path a 3rd time because Cisco want to move the goal posts again. The last update was only 2 years ago, what is a realistic time frame to complete and properly know the subject matter for the 5 exams? Especially when it takes 6 months to produce the study material.

Maybe CVOICEv6 + QOSv6 = CVOICEv8 (then 4 more exams)

Yeah, I understand why they need to change it as all of UC is now appliance based.... but still.
    </RANT>

Guess its a waiting game now...:)
  • Options
    azaghul wrote: »
    Looks like they've made some changes since April;

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccvp/53080-news-new-improved-ccvp.html

TUC gets reinstated, updated and renamed TVOICE.
    ICOMM gets dropped.

Hopefully they will have the same dual CCVPv4 / CCVPv6 tracks running for those of us caught between, or a 1 for 1 equivalent like the CCNP modules when it was upgraded.

<RANT>
    Having got caught with the CCNA:V and CVOICE certification mess, and now a revamped CCVP, I don't want to start the CCVP path a 3rd time because Cisco want to move the goal posts again. The last update was only 2 years ago, what is a realistic time frame to complete and properly know the subject matter for the 5 exams? Especially when it takes 6 months to produce the study material.

Maybe CVOICEv6 + QOSv6 = CVOICEv8 (then 4 more exams)

Yeah, I understand why they need to change it as all of UC is now appliance based.... but still.
    </RANT>

Guess its a waiting game now...:)

If they do it anything like they did the CCNP they should allow the previous exams be equivalents unless they are expired. Which honestly sounds like a fair way to go about it. With the NP they allow you to take and use the previous exams to fill in for the new track, but they remove them from being able to be taken eventually (which looks like the way they are doing this one as well).
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Interesting. I don't see how the training material will ever catch up (and still be of a high quality) at this pace. I'm sure that they'll do some type of 1:1 old/new mapping for the folks that are in between versions.

I'll more then likely pick up the new training material to keep things fresh, but I have to say that I'm glad that I'm finished with the track already :)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Although I think its needed as there is a big gap between CCVP and CCIE:voice in this area, this sounds like a pain:

Integrating Cisco Unified Communications Applications v8.0

yuck...

I can see them just rolling the QoS topics into the various other exams. For CCIP, it will make its way as a core topic in MPLS.

I wonder if they will also change the name to CCNP:Voice, like they seem to be doing with CCSP.
  • Options
    Interesting to note...

Cisco have changed the web page back.... no reference to an updated CCSP or CCVP now, or exam expiration dates....

But I guess we know its coming soon...:)
  • Options
    But I guess we know its coming soon...:)
    If Cisco is going to give people at least 5 months "warning" they should be announcing it before the end of this month icon_eek.gif

But it does look more like a version update than a total revamp like the last time. And it was QoS OR CAPPS -- so it looks like people don't lose their QoS exam if their are mid-CCVP (unlike the people who had to finish both ICSW and ONT for the old CCNP or lose their single exam pass icon_eek.gif).
  • Options
    So interesting that they changed the page back... I wonder what is going on in cisco land to make such a finicky change?

I can hear the office screaming now...

"You made WHAT production!?!!?"
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    tokhsstokhss Member Posts: 473
    well. its back....

CCNP Voice Exams & Recommended Training
    Required Exam(s)
    Recommended Training

642-436 CVOICE
    Last day to test 02/28/11 Cisco Voice over IP (CVOICE v6.0)
    OR
    642-437 CVOICE v8.0 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Voice over IP and QoS v8.0 (CVOICE v8.0)

642-446 CIPT1
    Last day to test 02/28/11 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager Part 1 (CIPT1 v6.0)
    OR
    642-447 CIPT1 v8.0 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Part 1 v8.0 (CIPT1 v8.0)

642-456 CIPT2
    Last day to test 02/28/11 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager Part 2 (CIPT2 v6.0)
    OR
    642-457 CIPT2 v8.0 Implementing Cisco Unified Communications Manager, Part 2 v8.0 (CIPT2 v8.0)

642-426 TUC
    Last day to test 02/28/11 Troubleshooting Cisco Unified Communications Systems (TUC v1.0)
    OR
    642-427 TVOICE v8.0 Troubleshooting Cisco Unified Communications v8.0 (TVOICE v8.0)

642-642 QoS
    Last day to test 02/28/11 Quality of Service (QoS)
    OR
    642-467 CAPPS v8.0 Integrating Cisco Unified Communications Applications v8.0 (CAPPS v8.0)
  • Options
    so does anyone know what will happen for those of us who are stuck in the middle?

lets say you pass cvoice6.. will that still count after feb ? or would you have to take cvoice 8 again ?
  • Options
    Yep...icon_lol.gif

A lot to digest, having only passed CVoice6, it looks like it gives me CVoice8?

I guess even though a lot of the material from CIPTv6 will translate to CIPTv8, how long till Cisco Press catches up?
  • Options
    So yet another revamp to my CV coming up to show the new and old title !!

So does this mean the Cisco forum is gonna be revamped too .... ?? ?
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    tokhss wrote: »
    so does anyone know what will happen for those of us who are stuck in the middle?

lets say you pass cvoice6.. will that still count after feb ? or would you have to take cvoice 8 again ?

Generally speaking cisco accepts previous exams still valid as substitutes for the new exams. Meaning if you have a valid CVOICE6 before 2/28/11 it will carry over to the CCVP track until it expires, at which point you need to take the new track.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Generally speaking cisco accepts previous exams still valid as substitutes for the new exams. Meaning if you have a valid CVOICE6 before 2/28/11 it will carry over to the CCVP track until it expires, at which point you need to take the new track.

Sweet, so I could take the QoS exam and skip the CAPPS exam before next march :D

To be honest it doesn't look very clear to me. If you look at:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/docs/DOC-9016

at the bottom, the way I read it is this:

You can mix and match exams until Feb 28 2011 and get a CCNP:voice cert. After that, any old exams are worthless, and you start over again.

Not trying to scare anyone, but thats how I read it...

Either way, Im going full steam on this bad boy to get it done by March. I know historically they honor older exams, but this is sort of looking like it might not be the case. PLEASE correct me if I am wrong.

And anyone notice you can't skip the CCNA voice exam anymore? Cvoice won't cover you.
  • Options
    LOL.. i plan on doing the same thing.. QOS before feb b.c i dont want to spend more money on Unity Express for my routers.. those modules arent cheap at all.. CAPPS test is gonna be expensive hardware wise. grr
  • Options
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    You can mix and match exams until Feb 28 2011 and get a CCNP:voice cert. After that, any old exams are worthless, and you start over again.
    I didn't see that on that web page icon_scratch.gif

Cisco exams are good for 3 years to apply to a Certification.

The old exams will no longer be available after Feb 28 2011.

So far the only exception to the "3 year rule" has been the ONT/ISCW CCNP exams -- and that was clearly stated when the last CCNP updates were posted. People are still using their passed BSCI/BCMSN exams to earn their CCNP. There is a clear one-to-one correspondence between the old/new CCVP exams.

If someone wants to complete the complete existing current CCVP track -- or take the QoS exam to apply to the CCVP Certification, then they must finish those exams by Feb 28th 2011.

It looks like the QoS will still be available for the CCIP track (unless there are further changes in the works that the Cisco certification site webmaster didn't drunk post early) -- but if you take QoS March 1st, then it won't count as a replacement for the new CAPPS exam.
  • Options
    thats how i understood it..

I see a rise in QoS exams taken prior to March 1st.. lol.. better yet, I see a rise in all current CCVP exams taken before March 1st..

Serioulsy, I understand why CAPPS is in place, Unity n all... but dang it.. im just not happy about it .. is the QoS material / test just not worth it anymore in Cisco's Perspective ?
  • Options
    New study material 6 months away...

CCNP Voice Self-Study Resources from Cisco Press (New Exams)

• CVoice 642-437 Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • Cvoice Self Study Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming January 2011 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Eidtions—Coming May 2011
    • CIPT1 642-447 Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • CIPT1 Self Study Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming December 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
      • Print and eBook Editions—Coming April 2011
    • CIPT2 642-457 Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming January 2011
    • CIPT2 Self Study Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming December 2010 (Rough Cuts provide online access to pre-publication manuscript)
    • TVoice 642-427 Quick Reference eBook—Coming January 2011
    • CAPPS 642-467 Quick Reference eBook—Coming February 2011

CCNA Voice Self-Study Resources from Cisco Press (New Exams)

• CCNA Voice 640-461 Quick Reference (eBook)—Coming December 2010
    • CCNA Voice Official Exam Certification Guide
      • Rough Cut Edition—Coming December 2010 (Rough Cuts provides online access to pre-publication manuscript)
    • CCNA Voice 640-461 Cert Flash Cards Online—Coming January 2011
  • Options
    Sorry, this is what I meant:

GTM-Customer-Graphics---Prerequisite-Program-Changes--9-30-10--1.jpg

GTM-Customer-Graphics---Prerequisite-Program-Changes--9-30-10--2.jpg

I know I am likely being paranoid, but it seems the CCVP is going to be retired, and the next 4 months are the only time the old exams are valid for the new cert. You are probably right Mike about them just not being available after 4 months, but still valid, but it just isn't clearly stated on the syllabus yet which makes me worried.

I guess once I see it on cert tracker I will be at ease :P
  • Options
    well, bases on that presentation .. it appears we all have 4 months left to take any current ccvp tests which WILL count towards the CCNP-V path after Feb28th...

thats good news.. Cvoice/Qos out the way and focus on the new Cipt1/2 and TVoice..

I hope the new Cvoice 8 wont be as dry and error-full as Cvoice6 official cert book.
  • Options
    Wait, I changed my mind. haha

Looking at the "required exams", since the current ones are still listed, they are not dropping the exams from being required, just putting a last date to test.

So you are all right, I was just being insane.

Still though, QoS > CAPPS :P
  • Options
    Looking at the full CCNP:V cert path, it would appear that ICOMM (CCNA:V) is a full prerequisite, and no substituting CVoice allowed. This effectively makes CCNP:V 6 exams for those starting the track after Feb 2011, compared to CCNP:R&S being 3 exams.
  • Options
    Looking at the full CCNP:V cert path, it would appear that ICOMM (CCNA:V) is a full prerequisite, and no substituting CVoice allowed. This effectively makes CCNP:V 6 exams for those starting the track after Feb 2011, compared to CCNP:R&S being 3 exams.

I would have expected them to collapse some voice tests like they did with the CCNP. Oh well.
    Currently Pursuing
    mikej412 wrote:
  • Options
    Voice is the place to be ... Is the NP-V path the only one that has 6 tests? lol...

LUCKY US!! ;)
  • Options
    kaleel86kaleel86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so am i right in saying us CCVP's are now 'old school'? :S

wonder if there's anyway to take an exam and get our CCVP's changed to a CCNP:Voice, though I did prefer the old naming convention.
  • Options
    kaleel86 wrote: »
    wonder if there's anyway to take an exam and get our CCVP's changed to a CCNP:Voice

Been wondering that too, although to be honest I'm not that worried if I aim for IE the it's superseded anyways and it covers V8 etc.
    From an alternative view point if you list your cert as CCVP then aany prospective employer would know you have experience under your belt, at least on paper anyways. Again working on the assumption your still currently working with the technology and not just padding your CV. Experience + Cert = $$
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Looks like it's just a straight up name change - If you complete the same 5 tests that we took before the deadline the certificate will say CCNP:Voice and not CCVP.

From the site:

Effective Tuesday, October 19, 2010, candidates studying for the previous CCVP exams or new CCNP Voice exams will receive a CCNP Voice certificate. The last day to test using current CCVP exams is Monday, February 28, 2011.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    Basically, yes...

get it ALL done before / on Feb 28 and you're CCVP... After... CCNP-V..

Honestly, I think a lot of HR managers and Recruiters will relate to CCNP than CCVP b/c CCNP has been around for so long but what I think will confuse the whole situation, only at first, is just what i stated above... I can see someone saying ..

Great, your CCNP! wait.. whats the V .. CCNP-V .. hmm.. or just simply look past the V lol..

either way who cares.. any good recruiter or employee hiring in this game should already be up to speed or at least google CCVP and see CCNP-V as the new name.

Its also our job as candidates to educate the recruiters out there.. I dont know how many hits I have gotten in the past requesting I take a job well over my head thats asking for CCIE level engineer ... I flat out deny their persistance.

Anyone else ever get requested to accept a job well above their level? Or am i just stupid for not going through the process? I figure, get the cert, ccie for example then apply ?? lol sounds logical right?