Something about RIS.

rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
i'm just wondering ; for several times i just cant remotely install OS using RIS. Why? i think it because RIS mainly depends on TFTP which uses UDP protocol -> small amount of data, and best effort delivery.
if you have a bad network connection, likely it will fail to transfer images to any PXE enabled client.
am i wrong here? icon_confused.gif
the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.

Comments

• marcread357marcread357 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    might need some more information. what version of server are you running. Do you have AD, DNS, & DHCP set up? did you add your computers to the AD. do you have more than one partition setup. did you install RIS correctly? are your client computers finding the dhcp server? did you copy the i386 files right, and if you slipstreamed them did you do that right.

I am no expert but i am assisting my teacher in putting together a ris server (its my project, just for fun, but he gives me some insight) I have not gotten my ris server setup, needed a second partition when i installed RIS, but i have done some research about ris. I'll have it up and running by wednesday for sure.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yes. run w2k, copy the image to different partition, and all RIS required services are up and running -> AD,DNS,DHCP, tftpd etc. But, Mr. Mark Minasi also saying that there are something about RIS vs hardware ( uncompatible switch/router or NIC -> i'm using 3com ) related problem, some of them will not pass the UDP traffic correctly.
    specially when you have bad nic that so chatty all the time.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • GawdGawd Member Posts: 132
    You need to have a support nic for one. Did you check that out?

Gawd