Purchase Windows Server SBS 2003???

MarkieMarkie Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, anyone know where I can get a legit copy of SBS Server 2003?

I have phoned Microsoft directly and they confirmed that it is no longer on their price list. I also checked NewEgg and no luck their either.

I found this link but not sure how accurate it is nor the price of $720 US Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 with 5 CALs | T7200020 | SoftwareMedia.com

According to this link, SBS 2008 Standard will cost about $1200 AUD (including 5 CALs): SBS 2008 Pricing

My decision for going with SBS 03 was based on 2 main reasons:

1) Price and 2) I am more familiar with it.

So, if I cant get it for a reasonable price, then not much point getting it when SBS 08 is available.

In terms of its application, I was going to install it on just a high end desktop (i5 processor etc) and it would basically just act as a file server, print server, domain controller and maybe pop3 connector for maybe 3 Windows 7 professional machines. I realise that SBS 08 may interface better with Windows 7, especially when it comes to the print server aspect.

But as I said, if I can get it at a reasonable price, given that it wont be performing advanced tasks, it might do the job nicely.

I shouldnt really be saying this but I am tempted to maybe use a recycled key from a list of old clients. I say this because seeming as Microsoft makes it so difficult to make their older products legitimate, what choice do I have. I know they were still selling XP out of Singapore up to a few months ago. Seeming as it is being used in a business environment, I dont think I will take the risk.

Anyway, any sources of where i can get a legit copy, be it retail, OEM or even second hand.
The oxen is slow but the earth is patient!!!!

Comments

• gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    To be honest you would be better to stick with Server 2008. It will have support for much longer than 2003, and if you are familiar with 2003 then you should get by with 2008.

Don't re-use a product key - bad plan!

Also, try to avoid installing server OS on a desktop, their components are not manufactured for longevity or uptime, neither are any of the devices firmwares if that makes any sense. Try to go for a HP ML115 G5 or equivalent if you are on a tight budget.

Hope this helps
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • MarkieMarkie Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gateway wrote: »
    Don't re-use a product key - bad plan!

Not wanting to sound dumb but can you expand on that if possible. Any real-life experiences or scare stories. There seems to be a heap of companies and sellers on Ebay reselling licences and the like.

It really is very tempting to use a key that you know is legit and is not being currently used. I say this because when I see people profiting from such activity, it doesnt make me feel as bad. I won't do it in the end but it does make you wonder if the hefty licence prices are really worth their weight in gold.

Any comments on this listing : Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 - Add 5 User Cals | T7400002 | SoftwareMedia.com

I have a Windows Server 2003 All-in-One CD so that should not be a problem.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hey dude, maybe I am misunderstanding your post. The link you have provided is a link for CALs not the operating system. You gotta buy the OS and a Client access license for each user (or device) connecting.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Hey dude, maybe I am misunderstanding your post. The link you have provided is a link for CALs not the operating system. You gotta buy the OS and a Client access license for each user (or device) connecting.

My bad, I meant this link : Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 with 5 CALs | T7200020 | SoftwareMedia.com
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Why are you not leaving the 3 PCs in a Workgroup/Homegroup and using hosted Exchange?

If it's a lab go with a TechNet subscription. I could be wrong but there are very few instances where a server is absolutely needed for such a small setup.
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Buy SBS 2008 and use downgrade rights to continue using 2003.

SBS 2008 FAQ

Otherwise you might be in violation of licensing which is not something you want to do.

Also you can buy Volume Licenses of Windows 7 and downgrade to XP. It's not fun or easy, but at least you can do it.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
    Thanks for the info. I was thinking of buying an OEM version of SBS 08. It will either be preinstalled on an entry-level server or I will build it myself.

However, the only 03 media disk I have is an all-in-one disk I picked up in Thailand years ago that has all versions of Server 03 but only in VLK and Retails flavours. Does that mean I cant downgrade seeming as I dont have an OEM 03 disk?
  • ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    Since you're in Western Australia I'm going to guess you're already in licensing violation. Generally you have to buy your licenses from the host country you're in.

Downgrade rights means you have to buy 2008 licenses and CALS at the full pricing level. Then you get serials for both 2008 and 2003. Physical media usually costs extra (only $25 last I checked, though). Of course you can download media for free from MS or your reseller.

I'm not a license expert, but generally speaking OEM licenses are not transferable or downgradable. Of course if a servers comes with an OEM software you can remove it and install whatever you licensed.

You may benefit from talking to a Microsoft reseller in your region. They are usually very good about figuring what you need legally. Generally they aren't trying to sell you something you don't need/want.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNA:Security
    CCNP

More security exams and then the world.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would stay away from SBS if you are an IT student. It's a restrictive version of the real thing that is mostly pre-configured. I'm a MS Partner and I have around 50 licenses for it and have never used it. They are non-transferable or I would mail you one for free.

They are good (I guess) for small businesses who don't want to hire IT folks.