Problem with Putty

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I downloaded Putty to use with my home equipment, but it's been so long since I've used it that I can't remember its settings.

I have a dongle adapter for my serial connection from my switch, so I have it plugged into my USB adapter. I basically need the settings for Session and Serial (I imagine) if someone can tell me what they use. I can't believe I've forgotten this. I've googled this, but the recommendations other's have proffered have failed for me.

Thanks.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you using a Mac, Linux, Windows PC? If its mac or linux, you'll probably need to do a "dmesg" to see which port it's assigning (/dev/ttyUSBX) to your usb-to-serial adapter and enter that. Also, your 9600,8,N,1 should be your connection settings. Are you using the PL-2303 driver? HTH.

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    Are you using a Mac, Linux, Windows PC? If its mac or linux, you'll probably need to do a "dmesg" to see which port it's assigning (/dev/ttyUSBX) to your usb-to-serial adapter and enter that. Also, your 9600,8,N,1 should be your connection settings. Are you using the PL-2303 driver? HTH.

-Peanut

I'm using Windows 7. I don't know if I'm using the PL-2303 driver or not.

Also, a lot of the how-to pages say to put the IP of the server in, but I'm not using a server. I'm just connecting to various routers/switches with my laptop, so I'm not sure what others are using this for.
    Dr_Atomic wrote: »
    I'm using Windows 7. I don't know if I'm using the PL-2303 driver or not.

Also, a lot of the how-to pages say to put the IP of the server in, but I'm not using a server. I'm just connecting to various routers/switches with my laptop, so I'm not sure what others are using this for.

I use a Macbook Pro and an Ubuntu laptop if I console in... so I have to use the PL2303 driver. Here's the link to the site. It should be the same for Windows 7. Once you have this driver, your USB-to-serial can be recognized by the system. Give that driver a try. HTH.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I downloaded Putty to use with my home equipment, but it's been so long since I've used it that I can't remember its settings.

I have a dongle adapter for my serial connection from my switch, so I have it plugged into my USB adapter. I basically need the settings for Session and Serial (I imagine) if someone can tell me what they use. I can't believe I've forgotten this. I've googled this, but the recommendations other's have proffered have failed for me.

Thanks.

I've never actually used Putty as a serial term. Give HyperTerminal or TeraTerm a try and see if they'll play any nicer for you
    I've never actually used Putty as a serial term. Give HyperTerminal or TeraTerm a try and see if they'll play any nicer for you

I just tried Hyperterminal and it also failed. I opened the terminal window and I just get a blinking cursor - nothing more, same as Putty. And this with two different switches. Strange.....

Peanut, I downloaded the driver(s) you suggested. No change with either program.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I just tried Hyperterminal and it also failed. I opened the terminal window and I just get a blinking cursor - nothing more, same as Putty. And this with two different switches. Strange.....

Peanut, I downloaded the driver(s) you suggested. No change with either program.

It sounds like your OS isn't seeing a COM port, so I don't think it likes your USB to serial adapter. Sadly, this is not uncommon, they tend to be cheaply made
  • Bert McGertBert McGert Member Posts: 122
    Problem with Putty?

Is it the squinting?
    Is it the staring?

Sorry Atomic,

I just tried as well on my windows xp laptop and was unsuccessful as well. I think that's why I never terminal into my rack from my XP machine... now I'm curious... what type of serial-to-usb adapter you're using? I have an elecom uc-sgt (which I bought out in town here in Japan) and this one works flawlessly with my Ubuntu & Apple machines. The other one that I have is a Belkin and that only works with Ubuntu and not the Apple. Neither of them unfortunately work with XP using the native drivers that came with the device, and the PL-2303 drivers! Weird!! Do you have another machine you could use? Or maybe even a virtual machine? If so, load Ubuntu, install putty, and see if the device works... That's a sure fire way to know if your device is working... HTH.

-Peanut

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager --> Ports

My Prolific USB-to-Serial shows up as COM8 on my Windows 7 Laptop
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    mikej412 wrote: »

Yep you have to find out what com port the OS gave you in device manager so you can set it in the serial connection settings in Putty. A little tip: Use the same USB port on your machine every time and you should always get the same com port form the OS.
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    Yep you have to find out what com port the OS gave you in device manager so you can set it in the serial connection settings in Putty. A little tip: Use the same USB port on your machine every time and you should always get the same com port form the OS.

I'm using Com 4 according to Device Manager. But I have three USB ports. I'm ignorant of which USB port corresponds to the correct com port if I'm using a dongle...? However, I tried that, too, and none of the other USB ports worked, either.

I don't know the brand of my dongle offhand, and it's been sitting in a cool, dark room for a few years. Maybe it won't work with Windows 7 or something. I didn't know they were only made for specific OSs, if that's the case.
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I'm using Com 4 according to Device Manager. But I have three USB ports. I'm ignorant of which USB port corresponds to the correct com port if I'm using a dongle...? However, I tried that, too, and none of the other USB ports worked, either.

I don't know the brand of my dongle offhand, and it's been sitting in a cool, dark room for a few years. Maybe it won't work with Windows 7 or something. I didn't know they were only made for specific OSs, if that's the case.

I'm not following. If the drivers are installed and you plug in the usb then it should show up in device manager under ports and tell you the com port. Sounds like that worked for you and it was on com4. Then you open putty select the serial radio button and change the com port in putty to reflect what you saw in device manager then click open. If the cisco device is on it should connect assuming the other serial settings haven't been changed.
  • vinbuckvinbuck Member Posts: 785 ■■■■□□□□□□

Now that you know it's COM4, goto Putty and select "Serial" Connection and change the default from COM1 to COM4. Make sure your speed is 9600 like others have said and you should be all set for a console connection to a router or switch.
    Cisco was my first networking love, but my "other" router is a Mikrotik...
    Ok, I just hauled a switch into my room where my desktop is using Windows XP. I disconnected my dongle and plugged right into my computer's serial port. Voila! I have a a connection. I guess it's something to do with the dongle. I'm unable to make out what brand of dongle it is in order to possibly get the necessary drivers online. It sucks because serial-to-usb adapters cost twenty bucks at Radio Shack.

I'm wanting go paste in a config template into this switch, but it's rejecting it. Apparently, it's not accepting the command "vtp mode transparent" in global config mode at the very beginning of my config. I then do "vtp ?" and the only options are "vtp file" ("Configure IFS filesystem file where VTP configuration is stored").

Here's the system image file: flash:c2900XL-h2s-mz-112.8.1-SA6.bin. Maybe it has something to do with it? It's a 2900XL Cisco switch.

Is this switch unable to go into different vtp modes? Surely not.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »

Use this tip over and over if you have problems. The trouble with USB-to-Serial is that Windows might assign a new COM number to your device if you

a. reboot
    b. shutdown and then restart
    c. unplug it from the USB port and then plug it back in
    d. hey, it's Windows. It's not like you're using Unix/Linux.

:)