Options

Need advice on Cisco career

gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, first off id like to thank all of you for all your support and advice. You've all played a big part in my decision making now im turning to you guys again for some help. I'm currently employed as tech support. Im looking for my careerin cisco networking. I only have lab experience and want to get a job working with cisco equipment. I will purchase my own lab to work on my CCNP. but will it be worth working for my CCNP? i hold a ccna or should i venture off to the ccna security and voice ? or chasing the ccnp is a bad idea? i would love to get my ccnp im motivated to succeed in the field of cisco. thanks all for your help in advance.

Comments

• Options
    Ivanr4g63Ivanr4g63 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Would this be for some advancement opportunity within your current job? or are you trying to get a new job? The reason I ask is because in my personal opinion it all comes down to your job and where you want to be in the coming years:
    For instance if your company will reward you being CCNA then continue with those studies and master what you already know but if you rather seek for a new job and CCNP will open you more doors based on job market in your area then do that instead.
    Even in this forum I have read of people who have let their cisco certs expire because they had more luck with other certifications or job demands weren't as good as they thought... so with that in mind I'm not trying in any way to discourage you, but to make the smart move based on your current job market.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    gregorio323gregorio323 Member Posts: 201 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ivanr4g63 wrote: »
    Would this be for some advancement opportunity within your current job? or are you trying to get a new job? The reason I ask is because in my personal opinion it all comes down to your job and where you want to be in the coming years:
    For instance if your company will reward you being CCNA then continue with those studies and master what you already know but if you rather seek for a new job and CCNP will open you more doors based on job market in your area then do that instead.
    Even in this forum I have read of people who have let their cisco certs expire because they had more luck with other certifications or job demands weren't as good as they thought... so with that in mind I'm not trying in any way to discourage you, but to make the smart move based on your current job market.

Just my 2 cents.

Hey thanks for the advice but i really want to look for a new job where i'm currently working it's a small company just getting started so as far as opportunities goes there are very limited using them for some sort of experience in the IT field. As far as my career my goal is to obtain my CCIE I'm really ambitious about it. I want to make my self marketable and work for a good company.
  • Options
    SomnipotentSomnipotent Member Posts: 384
    Hey thanks for the advice but i really want to look for a new job where i'm currently working it's a small company just getting started so as far as opportunities goes there are very limited using them for some sort of experience in the IT field. As far as my career my goal is to obtain my CCIE I'm really ambitious about it. I want to make my self marketable and work for a good company.

the CCNA opens many doors, however if you want to branch out into larger enterprise networking, even ISP, the CCNP/CCIP is an excellent path. i've been working telecom since i graduated a few years back with ZERO certifications, just working my way up. i'm only now just working on my Cisco track and let me tell you something you already know: lab experience and hands on training is by far the most valuable thing you have going for you. i deal with CCNP/CCIP level topics every day so needless to say my goals for certification and my current career path go hand in hand. you don't necessarily need to purchase a huge rack of equipment with the advent of GNS3, however it is my personal opinion that an actual lab will benefit you more in the long run. you don't get the oppurtunity to "break" GNS3 and spend a few hours trying to figure out what went wrong, especially when it comes to cabling. you just reset your computer and everything goes back to normal in SIMs. can't do that in a real lab. keep on the long road my friend, and you will be rewarded richly :)
    Reading: Internetworking with TCP/IP: Principles, Protocols, and Architecture (D. Comer)
  • Options
    erfolg255erfolg255 Banned Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi, cisco demand that you have to have already CCNa exam passed, before you can get CCNP cert

Currently studying : CCNA