Options

SBS or MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

Hi guys,

My current employer have decided to 'go for gold' (Microsoft accreditation). I've currently got an MCSE 2003 and already have the Vista exam required to go towards the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator qualification.

I'm undecided wheter to upgrade my MCSE to 2008 essentially, OR, go for the SBS exam which will be beneficial to my company. According to my certification planner in my MCP portal, it looks like I only need the 70-647 exam but i've read here in the certification paths sticky that I also need 70-649. Is that still the case or do I just need 70-649? Also, when will the opportunity be taken away to be able to upgrade my MCSE with the above exams?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Witht he MCSE and the Vista cert you need the upgrade exam (70-649) and the Pro exam (70-647). I would suggest that you do them both. Talk with your boss about setting priorities for this. I believe both would be valuable to you.
  • Options
    SWMSWM Member Posts: 287
    I would study for the MCITP and do the SBS exam.

If you work with SBS08 regularly, you should be able to pass the exam with little or no study.

I passed SBS as did my work mate with no study, just experience.

Good luck
    Isn't Bill such a Great Guy!!!!
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Big thing is see if work will PAY for your test voucher and/or study materials for the SBS since that benefits your workplace having you certified.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    earweed wrote: »
    Big thing is see if work will PAY for your test voucher and/or study materials for the SBS since that benefits your workplace having you certified.

He will indeed. He definately sees the benefits for the business so i'll perhaps start with 70-647, then 70-649 and then move onto the SBS exams.

Is it me, or do you guys find this whole "having to keep your certs up to date" malarky a royal pain in the arse?! I have kept my real world experience up to date and know it well, but to have to go home after a hard days work in the office and mindlessly read more and watch video tutorials is so damn tiring. Afternoons and weekends are for rest, not to continue work icon_sad.gif It's just more revenue for Microsoft..
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Your order should be 70-649 then 70-647. 70-649 is the upgrade exam which covers all the Server 2008 objectives from the 70-640, 70-642, and 70-643. 70-647 is the Pro exam (not really a better word for it) which basically covers all the material but has more of a slant of when you'll use a certain technology where the 70-649 covers how (configuring) you use the technology.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.