Options

Moving frustrations

AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
Warning, rant post coming up...

/rant

As many of you know I've taken another job inside of Juniper as a curriculum developer which is allowing me to move back home. And so begins the process of canceling services....

DSL, TV, electric, gas, water, waste, easy stuff. I was even able to get out of the contract for the DSL since I was moving to an area that my ISP doesn't provide service.

And then came the cell phones.... my wife and I both have cells phones through the same provider. When we got the cell phones I specifically told the agent that there was a very good chance I'd be moving in 2 years which concerned me with the 3 year contract and termination fees. I was told not to worry about it because the termination fees would be waived if I moved somewhere that they didn't provide service.

Fast forward 1 yr 8 month... I call to let them know that I'm leaving the country and needed to cancel my contract. I was then told that it didn't matter that I was leaving the country and I would be charged 400$ per cell phone!! icon_silent.gif Of course I called many different time, tried to explain my situation, explain what I was told and got nothing...

I guess the moral of the story is get everything in writing, or you might be forking out about 1 grand in termination fees.... oh joy!! icon_rolleyes.gif

/end rant
"Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender

Comments

• Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wasn't there a recent law passed (maybe it was only a state law, I forget) that required that the $400 cancellation fee be prorated? For example, if you canceled 1 day short of 2 years, you would have a very small fee.

EDIT:I'd try to fight this. First kindly, getting up as high as I could. And if kindness doesn't work, open a can of whoop @$$ on them and see if that makes them budge. And of course threatening to get your family lawyer involved never hurts either. But make sure you exhaust everything else before you start bluffing. Most companies will give in to an upset customer, they don't want you to go around saying XXX sucks. In fact, what company is it?
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Aldur wrote: »
    I guess the moral of the story is get everything in writing, or you might be forking out about 1 grand in termination fees.... oh joy!! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm very sorry to hear of the troubles....before I got to the end of your post I was planning on saying "If it 'ain't' in writting, it didn't happen." but you seem to have already figured that one out.

I really dislike dealing with cell carriers...their staff turnover is high (or it seems that you never get the same person to speak with) and if you need to call...and you ALWAYS NEED TO CALL (going to the store is pointless as they cannot do much there except activate your account and sell you accessories)...dealing over the phone on matters such as this really stinks.

There may be someone yet you can contact...but I'm drawing a blank at who'd be good? News (?); BBB (?) etc...

If I think of something I'll be back.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Look at the bright side though, you're getting out of Canada before winter :D
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Wasn't there a recent law passed (maybe it was only a state law, I forget) that required that the $400 cancellation fee be prorated? For example, if you canceled 1 day short of 2 years, you would have a very small fee.

You have to remember he is not in the US. The law might be different there.

That said this is total BS but you are a balling JNCIE so you I know you have it icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Start contacting the BBB.

Home - Canadian BBB

The BBB had helped me get a $1100 refund from my utility company a couple of years ago. I waited several months to get it but I kept getting the run around. Finally, I contacted the BBB and within 3-4 weeks, like magic, my check finally came (it was a refund of wifey's deposit....she ended up not having to have one).

If the company has a A+ rating, chances are they will want to keep it, so they will end up letting you out of contract. In this case, you have nothing to lose than the few minutes it takes to write a complaint to the company. Even if they're not rated....they may still want to deal anyway.
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have to remember he is not in the US. The law might be different there.

Good call.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow, harsh bill to have to clear. Yeh I gave up years ago trusting people over the phone, I always ask for email or printed confirmation of anything nowadays. Been shafted so many times myself its now my first question when enquiring about anything.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.